Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
navman
Camry Hybrid

Default Re: MD Mondeo Titanium - Bluefin tune

I am strongly leaning towards the diesel because it's literally half the running costs of the petrol. But I'm worried about performance and that DCT gearbox. I'd be upgrading from an EcoLPI Falcon which has 198kw/400Nm so it pulls right from down low all the way through the rev range. I don't want to lose that feeling, so that's why I'd consider the diesel only with the tune.

Another issue is, is 450+ Nm a good idea on a FWD car? How would the torque steer be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
Have been reading various forums in the UK regarding this tune, as there's been plenty more done over there.

Can you link to a few as I'm having trouble finding any forums.
navman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
thebigd

Don't worry about the DCT on the Mk5 / MD diesels. I haven't read of any problems with this set up. The Focus got some bad press with their DCT, but ran a dry system. The diesel is wet.
Small world. I made the transition from an FG2 XR6 EcoLPI to Mondeo Trend diesel. Yes they're different, but for a fleet / company car as I have, the Mondeo is the closest match IMO. My H/O reported that running costs are similar.
Torque steer is is minimal thanks to the electric steering, and torque limiting in first and second gear (I think ?).
I'll send you a PM on the weekend re the forums I have been reading.

Last edited by thebigd; 04-10-2019 at 08:57 PM.
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
thebigd

... and just to add. Yes the LPi engine was a weapon. Put 250,000k's on my last one. 15,000k oil changes, and the oil still looked like new. A bit thirsty at mid 14's per 100, but the LPG pricing offset that.
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #4
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
I am strongly leaning towards the diesel because it's literally half the running costs of the petrol. But I'm worried about performance and that DCT gearbox. I'd be upgrading from an EcoLPI Falcon which has 198kw/400Nm so it pulls right from down low all the way through the rev range. I don't want to lose that feeling, so that's why I'd consider the diesel only with the tune.

Another issue is, is 450+ Nm a good idea on a FWD car? How would the torque steer be?

Can you link to a few as I'm having trouble finding any forums.
I have the tune in my TDCi Kuga.
It transforms the way the car drives. You lose the, hit the pedal and wait moments, it just goes. My econ around town was 7.1-7.3L/100 before the tune and now 7.3-7.4L/100 after. I'm heading on a road trip so it's going to be interesting to see what i can get.

Re the gearbox, just have them serviced.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
navman
Camry Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
I have the tune in my TDCi Kuga.
It transforms the way the car drives.

What would the 0-100 sprint be like after the tune?
navman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
What would the 0-100 sprint be like after the tune?
Hi mate,
I'm not much into times but as a driving experience,
Un-tuned, you hit the accelerator, wait 1-3 counts then bag, torque hit!
Tuned, hit the accelerator, torque hit straight away. Shoves you into the chair. Alot stronger than a non-tuned one.

I've just done 1030km and used 69L fuel. ie/ 6.7L/100km in my tuned TDCi Kuga.
When overtaking, it just takes off, no wait time, just acceleration. I have alot more confidence pulling out to make overtaking moves now.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: