Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 29-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #31
JP300+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
10.9 on semis is a great result. What 60' did you run and what diameter and brand were they?

I have run 11.30 in my manual TS50 with 19" R888 semis but everyone tells me that the sidewalls are too stiff for a good launch which is backed up by my 60's (1.94s) and then when I switched to ET Streets the 60' dropped to 1.75s and the ET to 10.78.

That tells me that even with the old rule of thumb of 1/10th at the 60' = 2/10th at the 1/4, the car must still be wheelspinning after the 60' and losing time (there was 0.34s difference to the 330' which is an increase)

I guess what I am trying to determine how much of the "losses" the semis have are based on sidewall stiffness and how much are due to compound.

Again, great result with the semis

Daniel
60' was 1.66s, wheelspun with some smoke off the line ! They are second hand M/T Et steets 27" diameter.

The car felt really strong at the top of 1st and through 2nd. I "sort of" backed off at 3/4 track and braked a bit early to try an avoid getting booted but was not lucky...

I've run a best of 1.78 on the Maxxis but now can avarage low to mif 1.8X 60's.

I was told that the car sounded like it was spinning in 1st and 2nd and then hooked up in 3rd.

I was also told that the burnout was too big?

Apparently you only need to turn the tyres a bit to clean them and get a little bit of heat. If they get too hot they do not work as good?

I'll put the extractors/exhaust manifold on, fix the wastegate (leaking too much needs a heavier spring, I think) and then get out there again.

It's all good fun !!
Old 29-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #32
JP300+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboost
the best i have seen in a 6speed auto with M/t's is 1.60 60ft, and best i have seen on r888's (6speed auto) is 1.63 60ft.
i am not comparing this to your manual, (i don'know how you done that.)

but under controlled conditions, there is not heaps in it. i beleive it is still all in the compound, both side walls are stiff like a normal tyre, they both make it very hard in a manual.
the 1.63 (R888) was at willow bank, so there might have been a touch more traction then normal, both these cars went 10.8 no loss of traction.

i am going to do some tests, with R888's, M/t's, and the Maxxis's on my car, try all diff pressures,and see the diff,
all the street tyres are good untill they break traction, and then don't seem to be able to recover.

be good to see your car on real slicks, that helps the manual heaps.
David
Hey David,

I've done 1.54 60' times on a fresh set of MTs 275/40/17s that was when I first ran a 10sec pass (10.89s)

Should be intersting to see how you go with your tyre comparison... with 500+ to the wheels. Maybe you might want to turn it down a little ?

I've been pretty impressed with the $200 odd dollar Maxxis. Like all tires they are a bit ordinary when they are cold but seem to come on good when you get a bit of heat into them.

I've still got some rubber left on the Maxxis and will try and get out there again and aim for a 10.

I know the car can run a 10 sec pass on some decent semi slicks but to do this on a ordinary street tyre is my personal goal. Then I can say that the taxi s a real 10sec street car, full weight, full tank of 98, spare, 1900+ kgs on a daily tune!!
Old 31-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #33
blueboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP300+
Hey David,

I've done 1.54 60' times on a fresh set of MTs 275/40/17s that was when I first ran a 10sec pass (10.89s)

Should be intersting to see how you go with your tyre comparison... with 500+ to the wheels. Maybe you might want to turn it down a little ?

I've been pretty impressed with the $200 odd dollar Maxxis. Like all tires they are a bit ordinary when they are cold but seem to come on good when you get a bit of heat into them.

I've still got some rubber left on the Maxxis and will try and get out there again and aim for a 10.

I know the car can run a 10 sec pass on some decent semi slicks but to do this on a ordinary street tyre is my personal goal. Then I can say that the taxi s a real 10sec street car, full weight, full tank of 98, spare, 1900+ kgs on a daily tune!!
it would be great to see a run on the cheap tyres, (or better still the stock dun 3000's)
and i hope you get there,but it was a good run you did before though, it will take a bit to beat, but if not, the r888's are a proper legal road tyre, and there are others, that are about as good, and it will be a real 10sec street car it does not have to be cheap tyres to make it real.

David
flying the flag in North Queensland.
blueboost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 01:12 AM   #34
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
it would be great to see a run on the cheap tyres, (or better still the stock dun 3000's)
and i hope you get there,but it was a good run you did before though, it will take a bit to beat, but if not, the r888's are a proper legal road tyre, and there are others, that are about as good, and it will be a real 10sec street car it does not have to be cheap tyres to make it real.

David
Right on, my AU runs around on R888's full time on the street (295/30/19's) and is so much safer, more predictable and fun than "regular" road tyres it is incomparable. 930rwnm and it will hook most of second gear on the street even when cold, regular tyres will struggle in fourth. at $900-odd each they are a bit expensive but I guess they keep you and your car on the road.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #35
JP300+

Quote:

David
Hi David,

Here are a couple runs on the 19" Maxxis. (Not the 11.15 & 11.18 sec passes).

11.3 sec pass on the 19" Maxxis

11.6 sec pass on the 19" Maxxis

I'm going to try some federal 19" tyres. I've been told that they are pretty good for a low price tyre and I just cant justify $900 a corner when at the end of the day they are going to go up in smoke!!