Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
owens

Default K&N Filters in new focus

Hi Guys. I just saw mention of installing a k&N filter in the new focus and a link to the product here:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2886

My question is, how much difference does it mate, would it be noticeable and worthwhile doing? Also, how much do they charge for them?

Cheers,
Owen.

owens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
FocusLX06

I was also considering one of these, I rang my local repco and they said they can't get them in. I guess I'll try Autobahn when I'm at the coast next.
Old 27-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

In terms of quantifiable performance gains, you will get very little, if any (maybe1 -2 hp tops), which you certainly will not feel. If you are planning other mods down the track, it is a worthy upgrade as it will help your car breathe better (especially combined with a performance exhaust system). Probably around $100 in Australia, but you can often do a lot better by purchasing online.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I honestly don't really notice much if any difference, again it's barely noticeable even on a dyno. Your engine is tuned to best performance using the factory filter and unless you drop on an exhaust, chip and filter together, gains are negligible. So as a stand alone mod, not really worth it but with at least an exhaust, probably worth a look. At the end of the day, more air in means more air out and unless you increase the flow of the exhaust, extra intake can only go so far.
Old 28-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #5
owens

Thanks for the input guys Much appreciated.
Old 28-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Parasite

The greatest advantage is that they are re-usable which should equal less servicing dollars over time
Parasite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
WASP
Whipple Induced

There maybe a slight improvement in fuel economy as well, but if it's enough to offset the cost is another matter.
Old 28-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just had a 2 1/2 inch exhaust done on my new focus and i was looking at one of these next, anyone know of a good site to get them from?
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 08:03 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Under $100 is your guide, just get htem from any reputable exhaust or aftermarket centre.
Old 28-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
owens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
I've just had a 2 1/2 inch exhaust done on my new focus and i was looking at one of these next, anyone know of a good site to get them from?
Hi Zetec20. Do you have any pics of your new exhaust? I've been contemplating getting one as well. What price range would I be looking at?

Cheers,
Owen.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by owens
Hi Zetec20. Do you have any pics of your new exhaust? I've been contemplating getting one as well. What price range would I be looking at?

Cheers,
Owen.
Haven't got pics yet as I haven't cut out part of the rear bar yet to get the tip moved into but i'll get a few shots today or tomorrow and post them, it cost me $300 for the whole thing cat back with 2 high flow mufflers and and an awesome dual tip, it's got a real nice growl to it too and not too loud when it idles but when the foot's to the floor it screams (in a good way)
Old 01-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Worth looking at BMC filters as well. Was always my preference. European not US
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #13
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Worth looking at BMC filters as well. Was always my preference. European not US
Any perfromance difference between BMC and K&N or just a personal thing?
Old 01-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #14
owens

Quote:
Haven't got pics yet as I haven't cut out part of the rear bar yet to get the tip moved into but i'll get a few shots today or tomorrow and post them, it cost me $300 for the whole thing cat back with 2 high flow mufflers and and an awesome dual tip, it's got a real nice growl to it too and not too loud when it idles but when the foot's to the floor it screams (in a good way)
Sounds awesome
Old 01-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #15
FocusLX06

Quote:
Any perfromance difference between BMC and K&N or just a personal thing?

I'm also interested.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #16
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I reckon the BMC performs better, but have no dyno results to show. The McLaren and Ferrari Formula 1 teams use BMC, so they do know something about Filter technology. You'll pay more for a BMC though, for minimal if any gain over the K&N

Autospeed reckon they tested heaps of panel filters, and argue that unless you change the whole airbox, you'll get minimal results with an aftermarket panel filter
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 11:04 PM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

The Focus builders handbook also backs up this point about minimal gains on its own, returning the following

"It should be evident by the results that installing a simple drop-in filter is worth very little in terms of added horsepower."

Gains recorded were 2-3 horsepower. Negligible and less than you'd "feel" by using a higher grade of fuel or a fuel octane booster I'd dare say.

The only main benefit, as mentioned above in an otherwise stock car, is the cost of replacement is nil once you have a K&N, however remembering that it has to be re-oiled, it still works out cheaper in the long run than constant paper filter replacements. Just not really worth it stock.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #18
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hm.... what if i were to ИИИИ off the entire airbox etc and run a pod filter right down the front just in front and to the right of the radiator?
Old 12-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #19
amlohac

your talking about a long ram pod, lotsa tourque, lotsa nice cold air. The thing with the focus here in australia is the under hood temp, in summer it gets f'ing hot under there. A short ram pod just sucks very hot air into the engine which is not what you want. Ive just installed a long ram on my car this summer (had to take the short one off last summer cos i was having serious power problems due to the hot air) and while theres a slight extra power gain, its not really that noticeable, except maybe when you boot it from a red light.

The only thing you need to remember with air intake is the colder the air the better. Some people get the same power gain from a decent high flow panel filter and cold air ducting from the front of the car (for a normal aspirated car anyways, turbo is a whole different bag of elephants).
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #20
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Hang on... does this whole cold air thing mean that you'd get more power in winter?

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #21
amlohac

nope just more consistant power. The extra power you get from a pod on a non-turbo/supercharged car is pretty ИИИИ weak, still makes the engine sound great from the induction noise.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post