Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
toe

Default lpg converter mounting location "99" au falcon

hey guys i was hopeing that some could please tell me where the mounting or safe locatation to mount my lpg converter in the engine bay of my au
its a sprint gas system it was running in my old eb where the converter was mounted to one of the shock absorber bolts (standard eb location) but due to the diferent style air intake of the au thers not alot of room on that side of the engine
Where is the standard mounting location for the au falcon? cheers guys thankyou

toe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Re: lpg converter mounting location "99" au falcon

Just bolt it up to the other side of the engine bay, to the drivers side shock bolts...
Old 29-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

My AU's used to mount to the drivers side top A arm bolts, that was the bracket that was in the kit.

But I guess you will have to make one if you are converting from EB so the top shockie bolts work too.

One thing is if you have (or need) a camber kit on the arm bolts the threads may not be long enough. I used to extend mine.

Just make sure the rubber hoses dont get too close to the exhaust manifold when fitting it. Common sense really.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Old 29-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by toe
hey guys i was hopeing that some could please tell me where the mounting or safe locatation to mount my lpg converter in the engine bay of my au
its a sprint gas system it was running in my old eb where the converter was mounted to one of the shock absorber bolts (standard eb location) but due to the diferent style air intake of the au thers not alot of room on that side of the engine
Where is the standard mounting location for the au falcon? cheers guys thankyou
don't even think about installing it yourself, it is illegal unless you are licenced to do any work on an LPG system ( I am assuming you are not licenced as you have no idea where to mount the convertor in a car that is commonly converted to gas). the LPG compliance plate has vin of your vehicle so you can't just swap it to another vehicle.
with an illegal LPG install your insurance is void and you can find yourself in court facing charges

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

He can do whatever he likes. When it has been installed he simply gets a licenced installer to check and verify the work and pay for the compliance including a new plate. The cost is about $150 to $200 and a damn lot cheaper than paying the installer over $1000 in labour. This is how I do all mine and have never had a problem getting compliance.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
He can do whatever he likes. When it has been installed he simply gets a licenced installer to check and verify the work and pay for the compliance including a new plate. The cost is about $150 to $200 and a damn lot cheaper than paying the installer over $1000 in labour. This is how I do all mine and have never had a problem getting compliance.
you may get it done that way but that doesn't make it legal only licenced gas installers are legally allowed to install a gas system

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 30-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
T3man
Banned

And only a licenced mechanic is allowed to work on your car - so how do apprentices get on? The underlying fact is that anyone can do the work (under supervision) as long as a licenced operator signs off on it and takes the responsibility.
Old 30-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
And only a licenced mechanic is allowed to work on your car - so how do apprentices get on? The underlying fact is that anyone can do the work (under supervision) as long as a licenced operator signs off on it and takes the responsibility.
Wrong gas fitting has higher safety standards and you need to be a qualified mechanic before you can do the gas course all work on gas systems must be by a licenced gas fitter but other work on a car can be done under supervision by an apprentice. don't belive me? check with the licencing section of fair trading, if you tell them what you have done, they will put any cars you have installed gas in off the road and prosecute both you and the mechanic who signed them off.
if you think you are right you have nothing to fear from fair trading. and if you wonder why I am getting on my soap box your comments are encouraging others to not only break the law but also to risk losing their insurance cover if the insurance company finds out the LPG is installed by an unlicenced installer and falsly certified by an unethical mechanic ( if you read what they sign they are certifying that they have installed the system in compliance with the regulations)

Rides:

Old 30-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Well since this has started, I've installed all of the underbonnet gas stuff, and I didn't have to have it signed off, or even installed by an authorised gas mechanic....

Swapping Convertors/Tanks/Mixer's over is not illegal... Installing a new gas line is not illegal...

Connecting it all up isn't illegal either, but most gas mechanics will usually just check the fittings to make sure they are in operable order....
Old 30-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
Well since this has started, I've installed all of the underbonnet gas stuff, and I didn't have to have it signed off, or even installed by an authorised gas mechanic....

Swapping Convertors/Tanks/Mixer's over is not illegal... Installing a new gas line is not illegal...

Connecting it all up isn't illegal either, but most gas mechanics will usually just check the fittings to make sure they are in operable order....
if you are so confident you are legal front up to the RTA and tell them what you have done and see what they have to say. your car will be defected so fast your head will spin

Rides:

Old 30-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

It's been through a rego check, roadside check and been inspected by the RTA, and it's fine with them.....

Which is why i've done it again, but this time to an impco setup....
Old 30-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

too many people think that just because they got away with breaking the law that the law does not exist read this it from the NSW RTA , now I think I would prefer to rely on their opinion than yours when it comes to staying legal
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati.../vsi/vsi14.pdf
Quote:

Who can install LPG systems?
Only a business licensed by the Motor Vehicle Repair Industry Council (MVRIC) is permitted to
install, repair or adjust automotive LPG equipment. The tradesperson performing the installation,
repair or service must hold a Tradesmans Certificate issued by the MVRIC for such work. LPG
installations must comply with a code published by Standards Australia (known as SAA Automotive
LP Gas Code, AS1425). In New South Wales, one of the requirements for LPG installations is that the
installer must fit an identification plate (“compliance plate”) to certify that the LPG system met the
requirements of the code when it was installed.

Rides:

Old 30-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Different states have different rules as well.

But they cant stop you bolting a gas converter to your car

If you try to hook it up to a gas tank....that is another story.

AFAIK it is only the high pressure side of things in Qld you need to be licensed for, however it is best to check if your intended LPG mechanic who has to sign the forms is OK with you doing some work yourself.

There is not much you are legally allowed to do without a licence these days.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
however it is best to check if your intended LPG mechanic who has to sign the forms is OK with you doing some work yourself.

There is not much you are legally allowed to do without a licence these days.
you are missing the point, it is not legal just because some dodgey mechanic will sign the form. thats like saying a rust bucket with bad brakes is legal just because a dodgy mechanic signed a roadworthy for a couple of hundred $. there are licenced people around who will break the law for a few $

Rides:

Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #16
toe

cheers guys thanks for that i was thinking about puting it on that side but i was worried about the converter and gas lines bieng on that side of the engine due to the extreem heat off the exuast manifold but ill have to be carefull where i run my gas lines then thanks heaps guys i hope i havent started an argument here either ha ha i do agree with some of the post's though lpg can be preety dangerous especialy when you smoke
and yeh stuff paying thosands for an lpg installer when they only need check the work..... second hand you get an in date tank and all the under bonnet gear for around $200 from the wreckers pull it out yourself you can even salvage the gas lines and fittings nuts and bolts too
toe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Same as Mr Hardware, but they put a little more heat shielding around mine....so much so that it's almost hidden

Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #18
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
you are missing the point, it is not legal just because some dodgey mechanic will sign the form. thats like saying a rust bucket with bad brakes is legal just because a dodgy mechanic signed a roadworthy for a couple of hundred $. there are licenced people around who will break the law for a few $

No, you are missing the point..I agreed with you!!
I told the OP to double check with his gas mechanic.
I am not subject to NSW law as I dont live there.

A lot of them know full well they will get NO work at the prices they charge, (and before you start I know what it costs and how long it takes to install LPG), so letting a bloke do the easy stuff like installing tanks etc makes it more affordable.

Seems to me you should be complaining to NSW LPG registration body as there are many "dodgy" mechanincs out there happy to do the above it seems.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #19
T3man
Banned

Hit the nail right on the head.