Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #121
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Hey Mansal, I just had my first service yesterday.

1) I had them rework the passenger side B-pillar mouldings, they are a bit more flush not but still slightly uneven at the bottom. I doubt it can get any better as I had a go myself yesterday, not a big deal though I'll get over it.

2) Also told them about the wind noise from the DS rear door, they supposedly "reworked" the rubbers but the noise is still there, again I'm going to investigate this myself. At 100km/h it sounds like the window is slightly open but it isn't.

3) My "F" badge where it says Focus is coming off, they have ordered a new one for me : )

Everything else is fine though, the car is mechanically sound it just had a few cosmetic issues like yours.

Yes you can get front and rear slimline weathershields, they are sold separately at $105 a pair on the Ford website.
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #122
wizamc

Hi Folks.

I'm a big fan of my Focus. It's done 1900K's and is now settling at around 5.1L/100Kms, and often drops down to 4.8. Only had 2 problems really, and that it a spring poped off the drivers seat when I was pumping it up while driving home from delivery (wasn't too happy about that) and the boot on the gear slector has popped off a few times.

I was without my car for a few weeks though cause I had a handbreak failure. Was at my in-laws place and they have a fairly steep driveway. Long story short, the handbreak held for 20 minutes and the rolled the car into the garage. Fortunately it was panel damage so was promptly fixed and I can't even tell the difference with the paint. So helpful hint to all, watch your handbrake and make sure your in gear whenever you park it!!!!
wizamc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #123
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

The car looks good,loving those pedals
Old 28-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #124
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansal
In my case I'm yet to work up the courage to drop the reported range below 40km, mainly becuase I don't know which instrument to trust!
Trust the computer display not the guage. The guage works from the digital signal from the computer anyway and it could not work our that many kms if there was no kms left.

On my petrol 2.0 I've gone over 50km below 0kms. But I stopped the engine and try to restart, it didnt won't start, so if under 0kms, get petrol otherwise you won't be able to restart it.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #125
irs

I took delivery of a Ruby Red diesel two weeks ago and after 760 km the consumption was 6.3 litres / 100 km. Purchased it when Ford had a three day special in Perth with 2 extra years warranty (total 5 years) and free 12 months rego. It is certainly a nice car to drive with amazing power for acceleration although I haven't really tried it yet untill the suggested 1500 kms running in period. I did not take up the dealers offer for Paint Protection or window tinting but will probably have both done shortly at a much cheaper cost.
IRS
irs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #126
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irs
I took delivery of a Ruby Red diesel two weeks ago and after 760 km the consumption was 6.3 litres / 100 km. Purchased it when Ford had a three day special in Perth with 2 extra years warranty (total 5 years) and free 12 months rego. It is certainly a nice car to drive with amazing power for acceleration although I haven't really tried it yet untill the suggested 1500 kms running in period. I did not take up the dealers offer for Paint Protection or window tinting but will probably have both done shortly at a much cheaper cost.
IRS
Hey welcome to the club

I was a bit annnoyed how they brought out that warranty deal right after I purchased mine but I'm over it. Done 5500km in mine now and still loving it even though it is at the dealer today getting a few cosmetic issues sorted.

Do you travel long distances?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 AM   #127
irs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Hey welcome to the club

I was a bit annnoyed how they brought out that warranty deal right after I purchased mine but I'm over it. Done 5500km in mine now and still loving it even though it is at the dealer today getting a few cosmetic issues sorted.

Do you travel long distances?
Thanks for the welcome.
It was probably after reading the many replies and comments in this newsgroup that decided me to buy the Focus.
I was also looking at the Astra diesel but didn't succeed in having a test drive. One dealer didn't bother to ring me when he had a vehicle in stock and the other dealer twice failed to produce a diesel at pre-arranged times. If Holden couldn't produce a test vehicle I had doubts about their service. Anyway, I am very happy with the Focus and discover new things about it nearly every day.
I don't normally travel long distances but make lots of 60 to 70 km round trips, usually two a week.
irs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #128
NO2
Old Man

I've had my diesel for 6 weeks now and done 5,000km. Been doing highway trips down to Bris and sitting on 110km + and then sit in traffic on the Gateway and I am averaging 5.3l.
I got dark tinting. It is a requirement in Qld weather.
Driven in some heavy rain and it felt solid, the safety pack extras assist in the wet.
The noise is only noticable at low speeds I find. Very quiet when cruising.
Very comparable to the Peugeot in gearing and economy.
The Astra I found too noisy and the Fiat motor had noticable vibration.
The Golf was very aggressive off the mark and thru the gears. I find the Focus more refined mechanically.
However I am not really impressed with the build quality. The 2004 Spanish model we have seems to be better quality. There is paint spotch on the bonnet and there has been weld splash or sand painted in under the drivers door.
The new wipers don't seem to have a good life, Already mine are showing grooves.
The rear internal door panels seem flimsy and not wel held to the door. I envisage them coming adrift in time.
But overall I am impressed with what it is. An ecomomical car with some grunt and it handles well.
I admit I drive and brake a bit harder in this one compared with the 2004 model.
NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #129
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I have to agree with you on the build quality, I've been to the service centre quite regularly getting some cosmetic issues sorted out but vary rarely do you buy a new car these days which is perfect.

I'm up around 6600km on mine now, going really well mechanically. Had the windows tinted a week ago, looks great.

I'm starting to see a few of them on the roads now which is cool
Old 17-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #130
auslander

Sorry to reserect an old thread, but. I this very day, just bought a 4 cyl ford!! and a diesel at that!! : .

After reading this thread AFTER i bought or atleast signed on the dotted line, I'd be VERY interested in how the diesel people are going with their cars.

Having come from a VERY holden history, and after seeking counseling, i am really very n00b when it comes to these vehicles. What sold me was the diesel aspect and the test drive.

So, how are your vehicles now they have done a few more K's? Any issues? all info will be greatly appreciated.
auslander is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #131
auslander

Hmmm can't seem to edit my own message.

A few details on what I got(or will get in a few days). Demo model, even though i went in for a new one, but at the same price as an new one, i got a safety pack, a government safety pack??, bonnet protector, weather shield, mats, 2 free services, and a friggin top trade in price on my VYII commodore. It had 2k on the clock, and drove like a dream. What really sold me was infact the test drive. Just blew me away.
Old 17-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #132
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Hi auslander, congrats on the purchase and welcome!

I now have over 10k on the clock, fuel economy is great, drives fantastic and no issues to speak of.

The only area I can fault the car on is fit and finish, which is an issue with all Focus' not just this one. Mechanically though I think the car is rock solid which is what matters most, it is a great engine/drivetrain.

Do you do a lot of mileage?

Also what colour did you get?
Old 17-11-2007, 11:59 PM   #133
auslander

G'day turbo,

I ended up with a pure silver colour, and yes i spose i would be classified as a high mileage user. I drive down to Wingham NSW a fair bit, a round trip of roughly 2,000klms. I'd do that every few months or so. Plus of course usual daily mileage, as needed.

I did notice actually the finish on the roof lining to the door seal rubber finish thing. You know the roof lining that fits into the rubber/plastic trim at top of door in rear. Didn't line up, had about, hmmm 2-3mm of roof lining short. In other words , it didn't tuck in under the plastic lining.

Also, i did notice the plastic skirting at front and rear was a little too wobbly to what i am used to with Holden's. Interior whilst fairly drab seemed OK. Switches seemed firm and sound. But standard features for this vehicle are pretty impressive. The gear box for example felt like pure joy, and really was a high point. Even having not driven a manual for some years, was like silk and never missed a trick. Double shuffling up and down was a breeze.

I actually think after the trim issues with the focus, that Australian built cars are superior in build than vehicles from SA in general. But as long as the roof lining doesn't fall in the next 5 years or the motor die a horrible expensive death or the steering wheel fall off, i think I'll live

Another feeling i get from this vehicle, is that it would rattle a fair bit in time. With fitting issues as i saw, i imagine this would be an issue, or atleast that was my impression. Do you have any rattles as yet?
Old 18-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #134
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Cool, mine is silver as well

Whilst the car does have quality issues, I think it more than makes up for it when you drive it. I also love the feel of the gearbox and all that torque is highly addictive along with that sweet turbo whistle.

I actually have had a couple of rattles in the boot trim, managed to fix them myself with a bit of tweaking. Nothing serious other than that though, up front everything is pretty solid.

Might be a good idea to check your paint as well, I have a bit of a defect on the left passenger door looks like a circular splotch but can only be seen at a certain angle. I probably could get it resprayed under warranty but I couldn't be bothered going through the trouble especially when there's a chance it could end up worse.
Old 19-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #135
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guys,

does anyone know the 0-100km and the 400m times for a TDCi? I can't seem to find it anywhere?
Old 19-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #136
Turbodiesel
Torquer

According to the UK Ford site the TDCi does 0-62mph in 9.3secs, not sure about 400m time but I'd estimate it to be around 16secs.
Old 19-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #137
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear your in the blue oval, my tdci has done just a tad over 6500 ks. The car still feels very good and I dont really have to much more to add except every now and then my esp fails, its happened about 4 times where it comes with a system fault. I will get this looked at next service or sooner if I can book it in. It's a bit scary as the car power cuts out briefly, but enough to give you a jolt.

The seats are still quite uncomftable particulary on a long drive, the lack of lower back support is frustrating but it only seems to affect me after driving for an hour or so, which is not really that often. Apart from that the car is fantastic, the power in it is just great for a small car, it's a pleasure to drive. The interior for me feels like it's from a 20k car but the driveline feels like a car worthy of a higher price tag. For a sub 30 thousand car you really can not go wrong though.
Old 22-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #138
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Whats the real world fuel consumption compared to the documented figure of(7.3L/100km)?
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #139
auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Whats the real world fuel consumption compared to the documented figure of(7.3L/100km)?

Documented is 5.6! It very much depends on your style of driving, i'm getting 5L/100km. But i'm in a country area. I expect city people would get no worse than 6L per 100k? maybe a tad worse.

Very impressed with this vehicle even though i've had it only a few days. The torque is quite amazing from such a small engine. After many years of Commodore driving, I have regained a love of driving again. It's simply an exciting car to dive. Although i tend to think going back to a manual has a large percentage to do with it.

If you're thinking about it, don't think any longer, go grab the bugger, you'll love it :eclipsee_

Just a quick edit.. I will be driving my shiny new down to NSW very soon, i will give a report on fuel economy on a 2k straight drive. I hope it will give me sub5L/100k economy.
Old 22-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #140
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Speaking of sub 5L economy, mine always reads 4.8. That's from driving 170km of mostly motorways to work each day.

The combination of economy and performance this car has is simply awesome. I am by no means the most economical driver either, I like to give it a squirt every now and then
Old 23-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #141
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslander
Documented is 5.6! It very much depends on your style of driving, i'm getting 5L/100km. But i'm in a country area. I expect city people would get no worse than 6L per 100k? maybe a tad worse.

Very impressed with this vehicle even though i've had it only a few days. The torque is quite amazing from such a small engine. After many years of Commodore driving, I have regained a love of driving again. It's simply an exciting car to dive. Although i tend to think going back to a manual has a large percentage to do with it.

If you're thinking about it, don't think any longer, go grab the bugger, you'll love it :eclipsee_

Just a quick edit.. I will be driving my shiny new down to NSW very soon, i will give a report on fuel economy on a 2k straight drive. I hope it will give me sub5L/100k economy.

Thats bloo_y amazing!!! i'm looking forward to reading your report.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2007, 01:25 AM   #142
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mines just under 7 which is basically bumper to bumper everyday and spirited every where else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Thats bloo_y amazing!!! i'm looking forward to reading your report.
Old 25-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #143
NO2
Old Man

With 8000 on the clock I am getting around 5.3l per 100km. Mostly highway with some around town.
NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #144
auslander

My car seems to be settling down as time goes on. Getting an average of 4.7l/100k. So it would seem, my drive to the farm(nsw) will easily beat 5l
Old 30-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #145
mrt08
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansal
I've done ~1800km on the car so far - the engine has noticably gotten more efficient already now that it's passed its 1500 burn-in.

Ah good!

I just picked mine up on Friday and the economy has been average - I figured I must have been driving it wrong
mrt08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #146
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt08
Ah good!

I just picked mine up on Friday and the economy has been average - I figured I must have been driving it wrong

After coming from a WRX and knowing the way you drive ...
I'd be interested to see how high you can get it
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #147
mrt08
Starter Motor

They put my tacho on backwards.
mrt08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #148
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Thanks mate!

That is indeed a Zetec bodykit, I'm going to take some better pics tomorrow if the weather is better. I also had the spoiler painted if you didn't notice

Yes the side strips were removed on the new model but I had them specially fitted, I hate not having any door protection at all.
Turbodiesel,

Can you please post up your pics again with the bodykit? We are thinking about fitting a kit to a few. I want to show the boss what it looks like. The pics don't seem to be working. Thanks!
Old 22-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #149
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Sure no problem, I've got 17" Zetecs on it now so it's a bit different. If you want pics with the old wheels let me know.

If the car came in Zetec spec I think a lot more people would buy them, as it cost me quite a bit more to get it to look like this.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Old 22-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #150
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Join our group buy and get some Eibach springs from Euro parts

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post