Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default FG Falcon wins Engineering Excellence Awards

Ford Australia's new FG Falcon has won two of the five awards on offer for innovation in automotive engineering at this year's Automotive Engineering Excellence Awards, announced by the Society of Automotive Engineers – Australasia (SAE-A).

Ford was awarded the Silver Automotive Engineering Excellence Award for its design and development of the I6 Turbo engine in the FG Falcon, as well as a Special Commendation Award for the engineering development and implementation of the FG Falcon's safety systems.

In accepting both awards on behalf of Ford Australia, Falcon Chief Engineer David Wilkinson said recognition by the SAE-A was a fantastic endorsement of the new FG Falcon, as well as of the design and engineering capabilities and expertise within the Ford Australia organisation.

"The I6 Turbo engine underwent a complete design and engineering redevelopment for the FG Falcon, leading to a raft of major improvements that delivered outstanding performance along with benchmark levels of refinement and efficiency.

"With power and torque outputs, engine response, refinement and fuel efficiency all at new levels, the new I6 Turbo engine represents the most technologically advanced six cylinder engine ever produced by Ford Australia," Wilkinson said.

The SAE-A praised Ford's comprehensive redevelopment of its already highly acclaimed in-line six-cylinder turbocharged engine, not only for its stunning high performance, but also for its real world driveability and marked improvements in fuel economy.

"With its advanced new technologies and high levels of refinement, this latest generation I6 Turbo engine has set new performance benchmarks and enabled the FG Falcon XR6 Turbo to assume performance leadership for its class in the Australian market," the Society said.

"At the same time, the engine's refinement and responsiveness has enabled it to supplant the V8 engine as the powerplant for Ford's premium sports luxury model, the G6E Turbo."

The Special Commendation Award for the FG Falcon's safety systems was further recognition of the new model's world-class safety credentials, coming just two weeks after it was the first Australian-built car to be awarded a five-star safety rating by the ANCAP.

"The FG Falcon is the safest vehicle ever developed by Ford in Australia, containing a comprehensive suite of active and passive safety features that deliver real-world safety benefits for our customers," Wilkinson added.

"Developed with cutting edge technologies and utilising world-class crash test facilities at Ford in Detroit and at Volvo in Sweden, the FG Falcon builds on Ford's long held reputation for safety leadership in Australia and brings a new level of safety to a locally-developed vehicle."

The awards recognise excellence in automotive engineering, manufacturing, design and quality, to encourage higher industry standards and to increase public awareness of the Australian automotive industry.

The conferring of an SAE-A award signifies that the recipient organisation is a leader in its field.

Source: Ford Media

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now this is something the media should be reporting!
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

Fantasic

Full Momo and Leather Trim.
Redback exhaust, high flow cat and Pacey Extractors.

SELLING MY GENUINE 18" AZZUROS WITH TYRES.
FRONT TYRES 95%
REAR TYRES 50%
XR6_4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Now this is something the media should be reporting!
I doubt the media would report anything positive like this about the Falcon, they're on assignment to kill the Falcon's appeal! :(

No surprise that I hope I'm wrong.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Ford Engineering excellence is let down by Ford's marketing department.

Holden's keep selling "Because they go better".
When it comes to sales .. marketing is king .. such a shame Ford fails miserably in this department.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford was awarded the Silver Automotive Engineering Excellence Award for its design and development of the I6 Turbo engine in the FG Falcon, as well as a Special Commendation Award for the engineering development and implementation of the FG Falcon's safety systems
Is Silver their highest? If not, who won gold?
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
MarkIV

Some fancy mining vehicle light!
MarkIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Ford Engineering excellence is let down by Ford's marketing department.

Holden's keep selling "Because they go better".
When it comes to sales .. marketing is king .. such a shame Ford fails miserably in this department.
True, but Ford is also guilty of over engineering their cars, have done for years. Half the stuff that Ford do the average punter either doesn't care about or wont even notice.

Holden winning sales races is a prime example. (Although the VE is probably the only decently engineered commy and its still not as good as the falcon and its for a much larger audience)
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's real maddening, that the Crappodore outsells this thing, it has been inferior for years now, yet they continue to outsell the Ford :
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fantastic News!
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
True, but Ford is also guilty of over engineering their cars, have done for years. Half the stuff that Ford do the average punter either doesn't care about or wont even notice.

Holden winning sales races is a prime example. (Although the VE is probably the only decently engineered commy and its still not as good as the falcon and its for a much larger audience)
Toyota have been such a success because of their over-engineering, which lead them to great reliability.
Maby the its just the Holden/ford demographic that don't care about sophistication and reliability, they just want some think that 'goes harder', whatever that means.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on 'em.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
GT 4eva

great
GT 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #14
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It must be real disheartning(? spelling) for some people a ford making such a fantastic car and not reap the rewards of a high sales volume.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford press
The conferring of an SAE-A award signifies that the recipient organisation is a leader in its field.
2007 winner was the VE Commodore
2006 winner was the Mitsubishi 380's 3.8L engine.

Not meaning to be negative, but it sounds like the award is a bit of a "give me" to our struggling Australian automotive industry.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #16
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And they want to drop the I6?? and are contemplating a FWD???

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post