Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Default Are new cars getting ugly?

Or is it just me getting old!!

For a little while now upon new car releases I've found myself thinking "That's ugly" or "Don't like it as much as the old one".

Honda Accord Euro. Not keen on the new one. Old one was a great looking car.
Mazda 6. New one is fuggly. Old one was a good looker.
Honda CRV. New one is mega fuggly. Old one was passable
Toyota RAV4. Ditto.
Toyota Camry. They get uglier with each new model. The current one is a shocker, looks like it's been in the sun too long and is starting to melt.
Mazda 3. Current Sedan is a good looker, Hatch is ugly. New model due soon and I've been told it's the same styling as the Mazda 6. Not looking forward to this one!!
BMW. Well, they just got weird.

Any thoughts??

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
xy500
Constant annoyance

i agree, except i think its been happening (the decline in looks) since the 70's
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
dandandandan

A while back I would've agreed with the bmw comment but they've grown on me heaps. Love the different shapes and curves on the car.

But jeez those new camry's are poo. Worst designs. Still boggles my mind in why people would actually pay for one...

BA MKII XR6T, Vixen, Leather, Sunroof.
Stock as a rock... Till after xmas :evil3:
dandandandan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
Dezza
Parts bin special

Some of the smaller cars are getting very ugly in my opinion. I hate this blob on wheels styling that seems to be going on (eg. Yaris, Colt, Jazz). The Nissan Micra is completely horrid. Every Camry ever built has been ugly. In fact most Toyotas are in general. Most of the new ones look completely undertyred, particularly the Hilux. I don't mind the new Mazda6. The taillights look a lot better than the old ones. I agree completely about the CRV. It looks like they got a front bumper off a completely different car and just slapped it on. And then there's Ssanyong!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL and I thought only I had this opinion ..... must be us oldies Bearman :P
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I disagree about the Mazda 3, I prefer the look of the hatch to the sedan.

Dezza mentioned the blob on wheels look of the small cars which I agree with but I think it is starting to effect the large cars too. They have all lost they're sleek styling and in it's place is bulky round shapes. I imagine it probably has to do with the body safety systems (crumple zones, pedestrian protection etc) but still.

The other thing I hate is the small cars are now so big. The new Corolla is almost as big as my BA from a looks prospective.

But at least new cars are starting to get their own personallity in their styling again compared to the late 90s early 00s same as styling, even if most of it is ugly.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Ssanyong lol. Designed by blind people I think.

Some have got worse but then again some are better looking. I think as people get older they prefer the cars that were popular in their day.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

they do not much for me - i am stuck in the 70's as far as taste goes

however, someone who was around to see cars in 30's would probably think they were pure and that anything from the 50's looks bad

i do think there is only a select few cars from each year/generation that do look good though. to me the fifties were ugly - cussies and 55-57 chev's have charm, but most did nothing for me
same as the 60's, 70's etc.
how many of us 70's fans, thought that a 120 why datsun looked good as with all the other small cars. i suppose nowadays the market is flooded with these smaller cars, so they are more noticeable at present

i do agree on the bmw front though, they seem to have lost the plot big time in my opinion

i do not like the newer styles, the new falcon included where the the panel area above the rear wheel is so large. it makes the rear wheel look smaller than the front
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

100% with you Bearman. New 6 looks bad, as does the new Accords. Styling has been going downhill since the 60s. This new styling however is even worse, they are moving away from the 90s aero styling influenced by Audi & Jaguar, towards well i dont know what, but its bad.

Im a 60s (styling preference, I was born in the 80s) man myself and think cars like the MK2 Jaguar, Rover 2000, Ford Cortina MK I&2, XK to XT Falcons, HR Holden, Toyota Crown, Mercedes 230S represent the highpoint of Automotive styling.

Today there is No cohesiveness, No protection strips, a gazillion panel creases massive over wheel arches, strange glass areas, obsession with zero overhang and 4wd ride height & bus like roof level, Massive doors, Blingtastic head & tail lights.

What happened to low sleek cars with smooth aero lines, and simplicity in styling- Simple curves, Simple straight lines, with clean trim pieces.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The skoda roomster is damn ugly; the designer who did the front half never met the guy who designed the rear...
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
i agree, except i think its been happening (the decline in looks) since the 70's
I also agree same with music mostly downhill since the 70s some exceptions
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Ugly? Hilarious actually ...... People have atcually bought these as seen quite a few around ....... They must be so cheap as can be the only reason. "Woops .... we made the back too low. No probs, found this bit we can stick on the roof!"

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Ugly? Hilarious actually ...... People have atcually bought these as seen quite a few around ....... They must be so cheap as can be the only reason. "Woops .... we made the back too low. No probs, found this bit we can stick on the roof!"
very true on the ugly and hilarious - however in all fairness i think they took their inspiration from the ek-fb station-sedan or whatever it was called
Old 24-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #14
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
The skoda roomster is damn ugly; the designer who did the front half never met the guy who designed the rear...
Has always been the excuse given to the P76's back in there day ........ In saying that though, I love em. ........ and its not a myth about the 44 gallon in the boot. Perfect for those living in SA

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh are these "normal"? I thought they were for wheelchairs, e
Old 24-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im Liking the BMW's A LOT!

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #17
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks more like a high roofed hearse
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
Looks more like a high roofed hearse
that quite an innovation - it allows the person in the back some headroom
Old 24-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #19
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They wanted to make it look flowing - which you can see where the line at the back falls down, then it looks like the other bit to fill it out is tacked on. Everything above the waistline looks like it was added on as an afterthought. It looks like they took a moderately ugly car, chopped the top half off it and tacked on a new bit and said "hey, we designed a new MPV - well, half of one anyway while we were out drinking last Friday night"

It is the automotive equivalent of waking up next to a girl and instead of waking her up, you chew off your arm because she's that ugly.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #20
89.SVO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your just getting old. the new Mazda 3 and 6 are a very good looking car. and nice to drive. i should know. i work at Mazda
89.SVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #21
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11
I also agree same with music mostly downhill since the 70s some exceptions
bloody almost everything is getting worse these days, except perhaps aboriginal relations?
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #22
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEB
your just getting old. the new Mazda 3 and 6 are a very good looking car. and nice to drive. i should know. i work at Mazda
Very unbiased of course!!
Old 24-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #23
FORD5

all new cars are ugly. EXCEPT FORDS, FORDS ARE THE BEST.
FORD5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #24
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I am a ford man, but the new series has to grow on me. I do like the VE Clubsport and the new SS station wagon.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #25
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

The sad thing about that Ssangyong is it isn't a one off. all models in their lineup are absolutely horrific to look at, Whenever I see someone driving one, I just feel the need to ask them, Why?
Old 24-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #26
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honda CRV.. always been an ugly soccer mums car. Same as those nissan x trails.
Toyota RAV4 is alright.. i prefer the previous model.
Toyota Camry has always been bland and ugly.. pretty much anything with a toyota badge is imo haha.
Mazda 3 hatches are nice. The SP23 and the MPS look great in the hatch form. I think the MPS hatch looks better than any 3 sedan, and the new mazda 6 looks great.

I don't know what it is about BMW's... i used to hate the new shape when i came out but the current shape has grown on me. They seem pretty popular.. especially the new 1 series.

They all look pretty good to me. You must be getting old :P lol..

Now i might just put my flamesuit on and say that i don't think the look of the new FG is much chop. The sides are flat and the wheels and wheel arches look disproportioned.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #27
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

I'm 24 years old so I might not agree with a lot of you here but I think car design is fine at the moment.

There are obviously some shockers but I personally think the Mazda 3 hatch looks great, my girlfriend has one and in my opinion it is a good lokking little car.

I also agree with GlennBA in that i'm not a fan of the FG's styling, further more i'm going to put on my flame suit and say that i've never really liked the styling of the Lamborghini Muira. I'm sure it was a revelation back in the day but now it just looks old and a little bit plain.
To that end most icons from previous decades now look very plain and I wouldn't bother, especially with most of the American cars. There are of course some exceptions of course GT40, 250 GTO, F40, F50, D type Jag.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #28
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I dont work at Mazda....

The new '6' is a sad attempt at freshening. The older '6' wasnt drop dead, but it was pretty from every angle IN THE METAL, I actually enjoyed seeing them on the roads in some colours anyway...now it looks contrived.

Newer cars dont seem to have fresh ideas, they're evolving, but into what Im not sure. Im not sure the manufacturers do either.....

I dont think we're out of the stage yet that says character is defined by lashings of wings, plastic and f'glass?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #29
gemibabe

I've always loved the old muscle cars, but I want 'new inside', probably why I'm a big fan of the XR8 bulge

Have to agree with the ssangyongs. they are revolting.
I'm not a fan of the cars today that are mass produced and cheap. They seem very tinny like the Kia's YUKKO!
Old 24-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #30
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say new cars suffer from way too much overall bulk which damages the image, too much height, big bums, slab sides etc. My 'Large sedan' EF looks small in proprtion next to a new mondeo etc. Also every Toyota is bog ugly, the fact they can get people to hand over cash for the things is the stuff of miracles
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post