Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: do you have insurance
NO I cant afford it 82 7.63%
NO insurance wont touch me the driver 22 2.05%
NO insurance dont like my car too many mods etc 35 3.26%
NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-11-2006, 08:35 PM   #571
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The H Man
I'll give u some interesting stats; I used to work for the enemy, and I didn't have insurance when I was younger and had nothing to loose. These are all averages and its the reasons that insurance company's make so much money, and if us as customers look at it the same way it makes insurance seem not worth having.

The average driver has one crash every 10 years.
The average crash repair costs aprox $3000 to fix.
The average city policy costs $600 a year.

To add all that up it really gets ya thinking that every 10 years you’re paying $6000 for something that could have only cost you $3000.

But like Casper said replace an average ford or holden with a porsche or a merc. We’re all really insuring our selves for that once in a life time above average fuc4 up.

And financially it’s easier to $600 a year than come up with $3000 grand all at once.

So I'm fully covered now for both my cars and I'll keep modifying both of them.

Drive safely now!!

Factor in the theft in that as well and double it if you own a modified or even nice car.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Old 22-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #572
The H Man
4 Fords and counting!

Oh sh1t yeah, there just an average, have seen policy's from just $100 right up to over $8000 a year. As well as claims most comonly for car park dings around $500 right up some slapper trying to out run a train, running a red at a crossing derailed the train which went through a building which was settled at around $15 Mil!!! (she lived)
Old 22-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #573
woteva

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRtZ
1. im 17 and in school and i cant afford the quoted $1600 a yr
2. i have not long put it in my name so i just havent got around to it yet
Can't afford insurance? Bet you'll find the cash for all those mods though!
:
Old 22-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #574
DodgeVenom

Can't live without it... even though i get stung for being under 25, driving a V8, driving a car more than 35 years old, and for having a DUI. I could only find one insurer yhat would even offer me cover.

If you can't afford full comp, atleat go for third party to build some history with an insurer. Your premium will go down each year(especially for the first few) and they'll be offering you good full comp deals when renewal time comes around.
Old 24-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #575
FLYXR6
Silvester

If some one hit me and didn't have insurance heaven help them!!!!!! I cannot believe that on a car forum there is 162 ppl (at the moment) that do not have insurance!!! that is crazy.... can you afford the millions that it will cost you if you take out a string of cars or worse a building? some one needs to get hold of these people and give them a good slap!!!!

And for the whole i can't afford it crap... well i would love to drive a ba xr6T but i can't afford the insurance so i don't. I just drive a normal (moded) ba xr6.

Is there any one else who is shocked by the amount of people that are not insured on this forum????

I like them sleek and unnoticable, That is untill the pedal is pushed.

www.myspace.com/flyxr6 Myspace URL
www.myspace.com/slvstr01 My cars Myspace URL
Old 24-11-2006, 07:38 PM   #576
richardxr8

The people who dont have insurance is the major reason i do !
They hit me, my car gets fixed (no cost and minimal hassle to me !) and the uninsured person gets taken to court !
Its not the $ - its the hassle !!
Who cares if they get hounded to the ends of the earth, and then get wages garished $1 a week for eternity !
Old 24-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #577
red_hotxr6
Banned

What i cant believe is that 24 pages we are still on this topic.Far less more that some one actually has the hide to come on here and say they dont have any.good grief.
Old 24-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #578
bessxg
Bundy on

I went to renew my third party today and notify them of a change of address, and it turns out the company is only WA based. So I'm switching to their partner NMRA in Qld, and my premium is $250 more.
Mum renewed hers at the same time, she has driving offences and comprehensive cover for $30 LESS than mine.

Do they hate provisional drivers with utes in Qld?
Old 24-11-2006, 09:23 PM   #579
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

The premium also depends on where you live. You cant expect to have the same premium in QLD as you did in WA.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 29-11-2006, 12:53 AM   #580
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The H Man
I'll give u some interesting stats; I used to work for the enemy, and I didn't have insurance when I was younger and had nothing to loose. These are all averages and its the reasons that insurance company's make so much money, and if us as customers look at it the same way it makes insurance seem not worth having.

The average driver has one crash every 10 years.
The average crash repair costs aprox $3000 to fix.
The average city policy costs $600 a year.

To add all that up it really gets ya thinking that every 10 years you’re paying $6000 for something that could have only cost you $3000.

But like Casper said replace an average ford or holden with a porsche or a merc. We’re all really insuring our selves for that once in a life time above average fuc4 up.

And financially it’s easier to $600 a year than come up with $3000 grand all at once.

So I'm fully covered now for both my cars and I'll keep modifying both of them.

Drive safely now!!

Back your so called facts with a source, because i can tell you for fact that is not correct, Apporximatley 85 cents in every dollar gets paid out in claims.
Your average claim from a car park claim is usually about $3000.00
Old 29-11-2006, 01:54 AM   #581
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive with insurance, the reason being 3 accidents (1 of them being near massive) in the space of 2 years. It sure has saved me!
Old 30-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #582
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
insurance in your parents name is ok, by me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Until it comes to claim time and stories don't gel as to usage of the car.
people probably should shop around insurance companies for this. I had my first car registered and insured in my dad's name. full comp cost about $300/yr. we had to specifiy who drove the car and how often obviously, and I was down for 95% of the driving. being listed it still went towards my no-claim bonus. didn't have a car registered as mine until i was at max no claim bonus. most places would only put the insurance in the name of the regular driver and charge accordingly. can't remember what insurance company i was with then, but worth shopping around if you're a new driver. can't see the sense in giving them >$1000 more per year than you could pay in your parents name...

Geoff
Old 30-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #583
Sprint347
Tickford

the sprint isn't insured... but she's put away and hasnt seen the road for a while
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 30-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #584
red_hotxr6
Banned

One year up on the xr6 and suncorp wants $683.00 for another year so hubby put it on with his SVO at shannons and it is now at $516.00 a year.Free glass all round thank god, got caught with that one at suncorp.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:43 AM   #585
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
people probably should shop around insurance companies for this. I had my first car registered and insured in my dad's name. full comp cost about $300/yr. we had to specifiy who drove the car and how often obviously, and I was down for 95% of the driving. being listed it still went towards my no-claim bonus. didn't have a car registered as mine until i was at max no claim bonus. most places would only put the insurance in the name of the regular driver and charge accordingly. can't remember what insurance company i was with then, but worth shopping around if you're a new driver. can't see the sense in giving them >$1000 more per year than you could pay in your parents name...

Geoff
A car does not need to be registered in your name to inure it in your name....hell you could insure your neighbors car in your name if you wanted.
Rego VS Insurance has little corrolation (unless paying out the actual owner for total loss, even then if the actual owner says its ok, there is no problem)

You mentioned you had listed yourself as a 95% driver, wich then means it is probably ok......problem is that most people that try this list themselves as a 5-10% driver and think insurance companies are dumb. They find out quickly at claim time when a claim is either denied or reduced so as to pay for the correct premium, they are the dumb ones. Even in your case where you state the car is not yours, Rego does not prove ownership. Quite often in claims such as these an insurance company will hire a private investiagtor to canvas the neighbors and locals to find out who does actual drive the car and how often. You would be suprised at just how often this happens.

Simple plain advice, Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about you, your car and drivers to the insurance compny, pay the correct premium and you will never find yourself in the above situations.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #586
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
A car does not need to be registered in your name to inure it in your name....
ok... it was a long time ago and haven't ever needed insurance in anyone else's name since so didn't realise that...
anyway my main point was people should shop around insurance companies if they're told they can't insure in their parents name - the moneys better in your pocket than theirs - unless there aren't any that still do it? maybe they realised they were losing income over it...
Old 14-01-2007, 12:25 AM   #587
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I spend $3k a year on insurance, that's how seriously I value my ride!

It's a lot of outlay for an event that has little chance of occuring due to my fault but hey at least I know my **** is covered! You can't put a price on peace of mind IMO.
Old 14-01-2007, 11:46 AM   #588
Clevo8

I have three cars between my wife and I, all are comprehensively insured. I personally think you are mad if you don't have insurance, at least extended third party. Because I'm comprehensively insured I don't have an issue if you are not, if I get hit by you and it is your fault, I don't have to worry about anything as my insurance company will sic the lawyers on you and my car gets fixed without even paying any excess. That is why I think you are mad not having insurance on your car. Mind you it does also say something about how you were raised me thinks.
Old 17-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #589
coupdy do

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
Since accidents are never planned or intended, you'd have to be brain-dead to be without some kind of insurance.
I don't have any insurance besides the 3 party personal if i crash into your gear then too bad.

I use to have insurance then when i needed them they screwed me - several times!

The premiums they wanted for third party fire and theift was around $800 for $6500 cover and the car is rated as a Luxury not sports (landau)

I have never caused an accident and never had one until i moved to melbourne (in the work car)
Old 17-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #590
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

I have always used insurance. Always have. Always will. It's a small price to pay really when you consider how much we spend and play with our toys. Insurance is like an ice-cream as a child, insurance is a plate under it, if you drop it the plate is there to catch it......you still get to eat it but it takes longer, rather that than hit the dirt! :

My 0.02c
Old 17-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #591
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupdy do
I don't have any insurance besides the 3 party personal if i crash into your gear then too bad.

I use to have insurance then when i needed them they screwed me - several times!

The premiums they wanted for third party fire and theift was around $800 for $6500 cover and the car is rated as a Luxury not sports (landau)

I have never caused an accident and never had one until i moved to melbourne (in the work car)
What 3rd party do you mean?
If you mean the one in the rego, then you effectively have no insurance.
You will get screwed worse if you have a smash, you obviously haven't read this thread from the start.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 18-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #592
coupdy do

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
What 3rd party do you mean?
If you mean the one in the rego, then you effectively have no insurance.
You will get screwed worse if you have a smash, you obviously haven't read this thread from the start.
Yes i never have insurance i would have to burn/crash my car every 7 years or so to make it worth while and then they always screw you hard in the end.

I only pay in an accident if it is deamed my fault and this has never happened so far.....
I know what your saying but if your car has any mods, any slight problem you don't tell them about, and the pricks will get out of paying out. I.e "Oh you have 10" rims they are illegal you have been paying $800 a year for nothing because the car is illegal"

Originally i had insurance. I had a skyline covered for $4900 some indiginous friends tried to relieve it from me in the night, the short story is i kicked the **** out of them stopped them from stealing it recovered a whole heap of stolen gear (some mine) called the cops. The insurance charged me $500 excess to get my car fixed (door locks dents damage to consol stero etc)

Two weeks later i asked about putting my girlfiend on the insurance and was told if she only drives it once a week it is ok no need to add her as a driver.

About two week after that they cancelled my cover saying my girlfiend was using the car and not on the insurance i rang them and asked to be put back on and they sent me a new premuim which was 40% more (~$700 ) as i had lost my no claim bonus.

I moral of the story is i should have let the original assies have the car (steal) maybe givin them some petrol to make sure the job was done right as the car was over insured (worth maybe $3000) i would have been $1200 up.

They are all pricks and everyone will find this out at some time
Old 18-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #593
LTDHO
The one and only

I know I shouldn't bite but....

You said you need to have a smash every 7 years to make it worth while?

So if you hit a courier van and it is pushed into a tram.

Your cost will be
Van $15000
Loss of income for courier $2000
Damage to Tram $5000
Tram down time $10000
So what you are saying is you would pay $32,000 in insurance?

Or lets say you hit a parked BA into a shop.
BA cost 18000
Shop front $7000
Loss of stock $3000
Loss of income $5000
Again total is 33000.

These accidents happen everyday, no one is that perfect that they can avoid it.

You will only get 'screwed' if you don't tell them everything. Otherwise you are in a dream world.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 18-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #594
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

172 votes for virtually no insurance cover at all. Absolutely disgracefull.

It's not your property that you really have to worry about its damage to others could potentially screw you.

Insurance is a rip off but it's one of those things that you have to have when owning a car, much the same as petrol
Old 18-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #595
MrEL
Sick Puppy

If your not going to have insurance cause its a waste of money and will just pay for it if something happens , why even bothering registering your car?
Same thing.
Old 18-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #596
Kelz
LiL sPeEd RaCeR

Full Comp for me
Old 18-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #597
coupdy do

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
If your not going to have insurance cause its a waste of money and will just pay for it if something happens , why even bothering registering your car?
Same thing.
Because rego is the law insurance isn't and if i don't have the money its stiff **** not your going to jail

For those accidents to happen you would have to be a **** driver and if they deamed you were recklass or failed to give way to them the insurance companys can still get out of it.

If i can't pay for your bentley then too bad ill give you $10 a week and you have to live with it.
Old 18-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #598
coupdy do

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I know I shouldn't bite but....

You said you need to have a smash every 7 years to make it worth while?

So if you hit a courier van and it is pushed into a tram.

Your cost will be
Van $15000
Loss of income for courier $2000
Damage to Tram $5000
Tram down time $10000
So what you are saying is you would pay $32,000 in insurance?

Or lets say you hit a parked BA into a shop.
BA cost 18000
Shop front $7000
Loss of stock $3000
Loss of income $5000
Again total is 33000.

These accidents happen everyday, no one is that perfect that they can avoid it.

You will only get 'screwed' if you don't tell them everything. Otherwise you are in a dream world.
Thats only if it is my fault if the van is still moving then he pays for the tram etc I am not liable for his loss of income thats stiff **** and his insurance problems not mine

Same for the Ba if a hit him and he is still moving and then crashes into a shop his fault not mine.

Hey i wish i could afford insurance then a could drive like the other victorians down here (with my head up my ***) doing my makeup or on the phone
Old 18-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #599
coupdy do

you need to know the law....
for example if your going down the road and someone parked on the side of the road puts there indicator on to pull out (in victoria they use it as a request not what you about to do _INDICATION) if you drive past and they pull out and sideswip you its partailly your fault (50:50) if you honk your horn before going past them its all there fault.

Your insurance can get out for many reasons and they will scamming MO FO's
Old 18-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #600
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't someone on this forum take out a lightpost or something similar when they got a bit tail happy? I could only imagine how much they are worth.

Also a question of I've always been curious about.

For arguments sake let's say your car is technically unroadworthy whether it be tyres just defectable or illegal modifications.

If another car takes out your car are they legally obligated to compensate you even if it was technically unroadworthy in the first place?
Closed Thread