Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
BlackTerri10

Default Who is on the Vodafone "new"Network coverage??

Well as the title states guys is anyone here on the new-newish 3g vodafone network?
Im up for a new phone contract and was wondering what there service is like now.
i have been with them in the past(3 years ago) but there coverage was so crap that i ended my contract early just to get out.
Im with telstra now and i find there coverage is great but you do pay a high price for it though.

would be great if your from south east burbs of melbourne cause thats where i am.

so whats your experience with them, they any better??

BlackTerri10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who is on the Vodafone "new"Network coverage??

I'm not in Melbourne so I can't help you there, but I am with Vodafail. In the last year or so I noticed I can now get coverage in some places where I couldn't before, but there are still black spots in my adjacent suburbs though.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stay with Telstra mate.
Old 14-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
creative
I am Batman

Again, not Melbourne but im with Voda on the central coast. We had a few issues when they upgraded but since then I have zero issues and signal is good everywhere I have been up here. I also have a work phone on optus.... well.... we wont go there!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never had a issue with Vodafone to be honest and in Sydney
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Was with Vodafone for nearly 5 years and had to finally bite the bullet and leave.

With Telstra now and although they've effed up a few times my wife has been able to sort them. Awaiting NBN to be switched on at my place to see what they can do for me then.
Old 14-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I will soon be leaving Vodafail and have looked into discount options that use a better network.

Kogan and Aldi mobile use 'Parts of Telstra's 3G network' and are pretty cheap.

I have ordered a new phone and sim card starter pack from Kogan and will give it a go. If it is better (I will be using it more for mobile internet) and I get Telstra like speeds and coverage at discount prices I will be joining up on one of their medium to long term deals.

They are both much cheaper than what I'm paying now and offer much more.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amaysim is good, cheap and uses Optus and for $39.90 you get all calls and 4gb p/mth incl
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I;m with Telstra because they offer the best coverage, people say to me I'm getting ripped off.

But I can pay $30 recharge, with less bonus that I can actually use, or $30 recharge with more bonus that I can't use because of no coverage in my area?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Be careful with these parts of network jobs, I guess for most people it wont be a problem, but where I am (Yirrkala NT, think woop woop nowheresville) there's only Telstra, and no other company has bought the use of the tower here. My mate got a Kogan sim that said it would work on all of Telstras network, doesn't work here. This is an extreme example, but it would be wise to check out your area first.

I am with Telstra because they are the only network that have coverage for me, so they are the best value for me, as stated above.

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
Dusty1
Giddy up!

When I'm out of this Optus contract, I'll be moving to Telstra. Probably prepaid, and I'll buy a phone outright.

Never thought of Vodafone as an alternative because of the rubbish service I've heard of. Sounds like it has changed a bit, but maybe we should get a thread going where we can post the plans we are on and our thoughts.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
BlackTerri10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I will soon be leaving Vodafail and have looked into discount options that use a better network.

I have ordered a new phone and sim card starter pack from Kogan and will give it a go. If it is better (I will be using it more for mobile internet) and I get Telstra like speeds and coverage at discount prices I will be joining up on one of their medium to long term deals.

They are both much cheaper than what I'm paying now and offer much more.
I had a look at the aldi deal after you posted this, i also want the mobile data so i can check the ford forum and ebay in the loo at work
Aldi looks like a winner $35 a month for unlimited calls and texts and 5GB of data. awesome.
the best part is no contracts so if its crap i can change.
BlackTerri10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
Be careful with these parts of network jobs, I guess for most people it wont be a problem, but where I am (Yirrkala NT, think woop woop nowheresville) there's only Telstra, and no other company has bought the use of the tower here. My mate got a Kogan sim that said it would work on all of Telstras network, doesn't work here. This is an extreme example, but it would be wise to check out your area first.

I am with Telstra because they are the only network that have coverage for me, so they are the best value for me, as stated above.
No worries. Seeing as I'm a city slicker I would assume it will be fine. I'm really doing it to reduce costs.

At the moment I'm paying $40 a month for Naked DSL at home that drops out every 30 seconds, rendering the VOIP function useless. General usage per month is no more than 2-3GB.

I'm also paying $45 per month for a Voda Sim only unlimited cap. 500mb (that now gets smashed due to poor home net) and the cap doesn't unclude 1300, 1800 and 13 numbers. The kogan and Aldi deals do include them.

So, I will kill the home net (we are hardly ever here anyway!) cancel my Voda deal and just try out the Kogan deal. If the speed is up to scratch in the places I'm generally hanging around I'll be trying that.

It will actually be more for internet. The kogan deal offers better reception for me (according to their coverage maps) 6gb download (that has been capped to 400mb a day due to the popularity - and I will never get close to that) and unlimited calls. For as little as $25 a month!

See what happens when the new phone arrives, that way I can install the speed tester app on both, and have both running the test to see if it stacks up well.

Old 14-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTerri10 View Post
I had a look at the aldi deal after you posted this, i also want the mobile data so i can check the ford forum and ebay in the loo at work
Aldi looks like a winner $35 a month for unlimited calls and texts and 5GB of data. awesome.
the best part is no contracts so if its crap i can change.
Exactly right... Kogan offers a trial sim for $5. 100mb, 100min talk time and 100 sms. Just enough for someone to have a tinker with it and see if it works for them or not.

And if it is not what expected, you just ride out the credit you paid for and change carrier.