Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Magnetic shocks

HSV has Magnetic shocks, has anyone got a opinion on them.
A mate says they are the best thing in the world and i think they are just rubbish made by Monroe.
Would they be better than a quality properly valved shock ?
What is the main advantage is it a good ride. or how about serious 4X4 or rally driving etc.

castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: Magnetic shocks

If I remember correctly, they are adjusted via an ecu to control the ride quality that is required, the oil has metal particles in it and by adding a magnetic field effectively thickens the oil and firms the shock. If they work as intended they will be great, a properly valved shock is only good for the situation it is set for, these would be better under a lot of different conditions as programmed

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-05-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Magnetics only in the HSV GTS? They are also used in some Corvettes (ZR1?) and Ferraris (599?).
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2013, 03:20 AM   #4
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I imagine these are “magneride” or some derivative. In theory the magnetic field is continuously variable so the dampers can be adjusted from very soft to very hard almost instantaneously. Remember though that this is still only the dampers, the primary characteristics are determined by the springs.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A REALY Desirable option for XRs in particular .... preferably standard .

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone driven a HSV GTS with them.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Danny
GT4.

I have driven a Golf R which had them, (I had ordered one with the MRC option before I cancelled and bought the Megané) and they are great if they work as intended, I felt they te VW system in the Golf R was a little too extreme either way the button was pressed. The standard set up was much better meaning that the MRC option was simply a very expensive dashboard button.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I have driven a Golf R which had them, (I had ordered one with the MRC option before I cancelled and bought the Megané) and they are great if they work as intended, I felt they te VW system in the Golf R was a little too extreme either way the button was pressed. The standard set up was much better meaning that the MRC option was simply a very expensive dashboard button.
i think that the very hard ride in the hsv re; the mrc has been mentioned on the commy forums before, also on the odd road test article, one downfall with the mrc is they are quite expensive apparently, i don`t know what their life span is but from what i have read they are big buckaroonies.....................regardless, i like the idea of adjustable shocks in cabin, my old lexus has the old style shocks with a 2 position adjustment on the console , soft or hard, even though they are the gentlemans version of sports shocks............... soft setting equals boaty .......... hard setting equals slightly less boaty .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old man has just purchased a 'runout' HSV Senator which has them. Console mounted button that switches them on and off. Can definitely feel the difference with them on. The damping and rebound control is certainly firmer, but the trade-off is a harsher, more jittery ride over poor surfaces.

Haven't had the opportunity to really test them out at highway speeds, but seat of the pants feel is that this feature is most useful over undulating, twisty mountain roads etc where you want the car to sit a little flatter.

Need to remember that the spring rates remain unchanged. Its only the shocker settings that are affected.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post