The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2020, 07:39 AM   #1
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: First Yaris, now Hilux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
RAM 1500 is looking better every day
And I read somewhere a company up north is patenting a design for making left to right hand drive conversion far easier without any engine bay changes with mention of speaking to overseas manufacturers.

Quote:
During a recent press conference, the head of sales and marketing at Toyota Australia, Sean Hanley, was asked when HiLux pricing would “come back to earth” and get closer to its long-standing drive-away offers over the past two years.
Usually gravity brings things back to Earth however it will be interesting to see if they can keep things high before incentives kick in and competitors sharpen their pricing.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 29-09-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
Hulsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
And I read somewhere a company up north is patenting a design for making left to right hand drive conversion far easier without any engine bay changes with mention of speaking to overseas manufacturers.

Usually gravity brings things back to Earth however it will be interesting to see if they can keep things high before incentives kick in and competitors sharpen their pricing.
Bringing back the old chains and rods under the dash?
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty View Post
Bringing back the old chains and rods under the dash?
Not sure how much is marketing or if it's something new:
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...nual-ram-sales
Quote:
The box means accessories and lift kits designed for left-hand drive vehicles can still be bolted onto the 1500, and minimises the amount of expensive, complicated conversion work that needs to be done in the engine bay.

“A number of years ago we designed this new method where we do a steering transfer inside the cabin, it just sits behind the dash,” Mr Kocwa said.

“It’s a simple, simple method… basically we leave everything in the engine bay alone, and we just use the steering transfer box on the original driver’s side, a steering transfer shaft, and then another steering transfer box.

The transfer box is why SCD says it can have the pumped-up 1500 TRX in Australia by Christmas with its supercharged V8.

The company and its chief engineer, Karan Jain, is currently working to homologate its transfer box for carmakers looking to install it from the factory. Mr Kocwa remained tight-lipped on which brands and cars, naturally.

“This is an Australian initiative that can now be sold around the world… it has applications not just in the car industry,” Mr Kocwa said.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 12:38 AM   #4
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
When I was a kid, my brother had an old car, I have nfi what it was.

It was RHD, but it had all the holes for LHD, with proper blanks installed in each.
The dashboard was perfectly symmetrical. The Glove-Box and the Instrument Cluster were interchangeable. He never attempted it, but from what he could see, the steering box and arms could simply be swapped from right to left.