Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #6481
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I see that a study out today reckons that 60k Australians have had the plague without ever reporting based on anti-body results from testing. The wife and I had the worst case of flu ever back in January which I reckon I got on the train to work. We were bed-ridden for a week, vomiting, snot, the whole lot.

I might go get tested and see if that was Wu-flu.
If that is true, then it just proves that it really is no more deadly than the normal flu. Just a lot more contagious.
Old 17-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #6482
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
If that is true, then it just proves that it really is no more deadly than the normal flu. Just a lot more contagious.
From Russ, "The USA passes 200k deaths".

Would be interesting to know in a previous year, in the same time frame, how many people died from the "normal" flu.

If its anywhere near that I would be amazed.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #6483
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
From Russ, "The USA passes 200k deaths".

Would be interesting to know in a previous year, in the same time frame, how many people died from the "normal" flu.

If its anywhere near that I would be amazed.
In terms of the death rate per 1000 cases.

It's much more infectious and spreads easier. So of course the numbers of deaths will be higher. The flu doesn't spread around like Covid does.
Old 17-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #6484
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
In terms of the death rate per 1000 cases.

It's much more infectious and spreads easier. So of course the numbers of deaths will be higher. The flu doesn't spread around like Covid does.
I guess we can cut the stats anyway we like, but, at the end of the day its about the end result.

To me if the total death count is 20, 30, 40..<+% higher than the flu then Id call that "more deadly" than the flu. The fact that it is more contagious is interesting but just a cause/reason. It could be even more contagious but if the death count is low then what does it matter.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #6485
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Rubbish
Old 17-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #6486
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Quite the opposite actually - I don't remember ever been so ill in my life - days shivering and sweating under a pile of blankets (in summer), hacking cough to the point I coughed blood at one stage, hard to get a decent breath in and heart palpitations. And I have above average fitness.

If it was CV19, I can see how it would easily carry off 60+ YOs and people with an underlying illness.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #6487
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Quite the opposite actually - I don't remember ever been so ill in my life - days shivering and sweating under a pile of blankets (in summer), hacking cough to the point I coughed blood at one stage, hard to get a decent breath in and heart palpitations. And I have above average fitness.

If it was CV19, I can see how it would easily carry off 60+ YOs and people with an underlying illness.
I got the "flu", ended up being influenza B (I think..or A..cant quite remember). I was out for 2 days and average for a couple more. I am the same, 38 and in good shape.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #6488
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Yeah, but your still in Victoria, ya poor bugger........
Plenty to see in Victoria, went to the Big Dessert earlier this year (june'ish - just before the BIG lock down). I had been there before but my wife hadn't, spent a week there.

Got lots of favourites places to visit, 2 are in the diary, and I might throw in a weekender nice and close (Murray River only an hour away)
Old 17-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #6489
.:4:.
Kicking back

Heard on the radio earlier today one thing saying todays reported cases in vic are the lowest they have been in 3 months. Another report saying opening the borders for border towns of nsw and border towns of victoria. Then just recently watched a news conference from the vic premier saying unless its a valid reason, subject to the police, the fines have been jacked up to 5k for any melbournite trying to travel to country vic if they do not have an approved reason. Its, yeah i understand country victoria are doing good with this business at the moment, but the reports dont all really mesh together.
Old 17-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #6490
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Rubbish
It's so deadly that 60,000 people didn't even know they had it, according to that report.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #6491
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's so deadly that 60,000 people didn't even know they had it, according to that report.
I think the real measurement for how deadly something is is usually how many deaths it causes, no?
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #6492
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

While the pandemic might be getting better in some places, it would be fair to say that globally it isn't based on the growth rate of case numbers.

A closer look over the last 30 days at the Continents shows that both Asia and Europe have been climbing; Africa has been reasonable steady while the two Americas have been trending downward.

This is clearer to see in the (3rd order) polynomial trend graph over the same 30 day period:

The long term (since May 1st) shows a slightly different 5th order trend although only for North America as far as directionality.

To drill down on where the worsening trends are, here are some of the Asian and European trends over the last 30 days:

The first (and highest number) Asian target group shows three countries - Iraq, Pakistan and Bangladesh that are trending upwards although the latter only very slightly. Saudi Arabia has been steadily heading down and the Philippines being a bit inconsistent from a trend perspective.

The next group of nine countries has one (Israel) that has been growing rapidly; five (Indonesia, Iran, Nepal, Oman & Turkey) that have been growing steadily; two (Kazakhstan & Oman) that have been fairly steady and only Japan has been declining in case numbers.

The next group of eight countries has four (Armenia, Bahrain, Kuwait & Kyrgyzstan) that have been growing steadily; two (Azerbaijan & Singapore) that have been in steady decline and two (UAE & Uzbekistan) that have been a bit inconsistent but are currently declining in case numbers.

This is reinforced by the number of days since peak case numbers were reached:

Now for Europe where we have 4 groups separated by case number range.

The first group of three countries all have been on the increase with Spain having the fastest rate of climb and the UK the lowest with France in between.

The next group of three have two (Italy and Romania) on the rise quite steeply while Italy is finally in decline after a long period of growth.

The next group of three have two (Hungary and Austria that have just started to turn the corner downward while Portugal is in decline.

This last group contains eight countries with five (Bulgaria, Croatia, Greece, Norway and Serbia) trending upward and three (Albania, Bosnia & Denmark) trending downward.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 17-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #6493
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Chinese virologist Dr Li-Meng, who fled China in April, interviewed on COVID-19 origin.

She has published her findings in a report titled Unusual Features of the SARS-CoV-2 Genome Suggesting Sophisticated Laboratory Modification Rather Than Natural Evolution and Delineation of Its Probable Synthetic Route.

Quote:
Abstract

The COVID-19 pandemic caused by the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 has led to over 910,000 deaths worldwide and unprecedented decimation of the global economy. Despite its tremendous impact, the origin of SARS-CoV-2 has remained mysterious and controversial. The natural origin theory, although widely accepted, lacks substantial support. The alternative theory that the virus may have come from a research laboratory is, however, strictly censored on peer-reviewed scientific journals. Nonetheless, SARS-CoV-2 shows biological characteristics that are inconsistent with a naturally occurring, zoonotic virus. In this report, we describe the genomic, structural, medical, and literature evidence, which, when considered together, strongly contradicts the natural origin theory. The evidence shows that SARS-CoV2 should be a laboratory product created by using bat coronaviruses ZC45 and/or ZXC21 as a template and/or backbone. Building upon the evidence, we further postulate a synthetic route for SARS-CoV-2, demonstrating that the laboratory-creation of this coronavirus is convenient and can be accomplished in approximately six months. Our work emphasizes the need for an independent investigation into the relevant research laboratories. It also argues for a critical look into certain recently published data, which, albeit problematic, was used to support and claim a natural origin of SARS CoV-2. From a public health perspective, these actions are necessary as knowledge of the origin of SARS-CoV-2 and of how the virus entered the human population are of pivotal importance in the fundamental control of the COVID-19 pandemic as well as in preventing similar, future pandemics.

Another interview with Dr Li-Meng...

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...6dec0cb665c970

Last edited by Tickford.; 17-09-2020 at 09:03 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #6494
marty351
Shenanigans..............

As mentioned in the article, Lack of a media platform is a very important concern for not publicising this. Why?

Many accusations and theories, blaming you-know-who, and soon, tin foil accusers and abusers during a Pro-Democrat media campaign.

Will the msm say "Orange man good"?
Old 17-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #6495
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
As mentioned in the article, Lack of a media platform is a very important concern for not publicising this. Why?

Many accusations and theories, blaming you-know-who, and soon, tin foil accusers and abusers during a Pro-Democrat media campaign.

Will the msm say "Orange man good"?
Only if you see everything through the prism of American politics...
Old 17-09-2020, 11:36 PM   #6496
marty351

Quote:
Trickle down politics.
Old 17-09-2020, 11:58 PM   #6497
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Trickle down politics.

A very salient point !

I read US News (Since that is where I currently am) and Australian News.

The bias from USA news media is reflected in Australia.

This virologist had her social media accounts blocked.

It is hard to see how blocking her would not effect all the world - especially if she is onto something, but even if she is just a contra voice she should be allowed to speak.
Old 18-09-2020, 12:14 AM   #6498
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
A very salient point !

I read US News (Since that is where I currently am) and Australian News.

The bias from USA news media is reflected in Australia.

This virologist had her social media accounts blocked.

It is hard to see how blocking her would not effect all the world - especially if she is onto something, but even if she is just a contra voice she should be allowed to speak.
Old 18-09-2020, 01:44 AM   #6499
marty351

Quote:
Blinded by the the light. A "prism" of truth for the whole world to see and you still mock those that speak a possible truth.

T.D.S. is a serious problem in ours and international media. Keep believing in what you want, but just because Fox news hosted a credible witness and your simp reaction does not mean the silent msm are right.

Did you even watch the evil Tucker Carlson interview?
3 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #6500
PhilT2

The US leads the world, first to 200,000 deaths.
https://ncov2019.live/data
Old 18-09-2020, 07:25 AM   #6501
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
33,000 in NY, that is mental. Yeap Vitamin C would have fixed that right up.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #6502
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Only old people... No problem! Just concentrate on making America great!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
3 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #6503
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Only ................................... Vic
Geeze, been a long time since you've been there then ?
Excellent art gallery, excellent cafe's, excellent bakeries, excellent street art (hosts the biggest street art competition), excellent library by the lake, great fishing, great sailing / canoeing on the lake, beaut gliding airport (hosts the worlds gliding championships) , great performing arts theater, Winton raceway just up the road, Winton wetlands cycleway from Benalla, start of the Silos art trail, Benalla reefs mountain bike park and largest public Rose garden in Victoria

Last edited by GasoLane; 18-09-2020 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
Old 18-09-2020, 09:04 AM   #6504
PhilT2

Hypothetically speaking, say if I was a Chinese scientist who wanted to claim refugee status in the USA, how good of a story would I need to prove that it was unsafe for me to be sent home? Hypothetically.
Old 18-09-2020, 09:12 AM   #6505
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Geeze, been a long time since you've been there then ?
Excellent art gallery, excellent cafe's, excellent bakeries, excellent street art (hosts the biggest street art competition), excellent library by the lake, great fishing, great sailing / canoeing on the lake, beaut gliding airport (hosts the worlds gliding championships) , great performing arts theater, Winton raceway just up the road, Winton wetlands cycleway from Benalla, start of the Silos art trail, Benalla reefs mountain bike park and largest public Rose garden in Victoria
How's the serenity? So much serenity!
Old 18-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #6506
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hypothetically speaking, say if I was a Chinese scientist who wanted to claim refugee status in the USA, how good of a story would I need to prove that it was unsafe for me to be sent home? Hypothetically.

I agree, I am very skeptical of her - actually seems not scared. Dunno if her science is good.

But her voice should not be cancelled just because ...
Old 18-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #6507
PhilT2

I've had a quick read of her paper; most of it is well above my pay grade, but a few things stick out. On page 3 she mentions how suspiciously this virus resembles a naturally occurring bat virus. That doesn't seem like strong evidence for an artificial virus to me. In the next point she claims the proteins in this virus resemble those in the Sars-1 virus in "a suspicious manner"
On P11 she talks about how changes to the virus have been done with "a more deceiving approach" rather than how a lab would normally do it. This does not appear to be strong evidence to me.
On P16 she speculates on how this could have been done. Maybe it's just me but I don't think guesswork, speculation and suspicions belong in a science paper. More like an application for refugee status. Judgement on the more technical aspects of her work I will have to leave to the experts.
Old 18-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #6508
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

On the note 'where did Covid come from', Thousands of people in northwest China have caught a bacterial disease after a leak caused an outbreak at a biopharmaceutical last year, CNN reports.

https://futurism.com/neoscope/thousa...utical-factory
Old 18-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #6509
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post
On the note 'where did Covid come from', Thousands of people in northwest China have caught a bacterial disease after a leak caused an outbreak at a biopharmaceutical last year, CNN reports.

https://futurism.com/neoscope/thousa...utical-factory
Check the line at the end of that article; the people responsible were "severely punished" The Chinese govt don't mess around, the woman responsible for the contaminated baby formula issue years ago was also "severely punished" by a bullet in the head.
Old 18-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #6510
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

34 new cases for Australia and 8 deaths so the CMR rises to 3.103% while active cases drop to 2,189. NSW recorded 5 cases, Queensland & WA 1 each and the balance were in Victoria. The Victorian State 14 day moving average is now 50.79 with metro at 42.7 (73 unknown) and regional at 2.3 no unknown cases.

7 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.382% and active cases fall to 77.

The UK had 3,395 new cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore those figures.

Just over 40k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,137 deaths sees CMR remain at 2.949% and active cases drop to 36.7% with the raw numbers dropping again. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global deaths pass 950k with the last 50k taking 9 days;
The USA completes 95M and India 60M tests;
Asia passes 9M cases;
Europe records a new daily high for cases with 53,685;

Denmark (453), Netherlands (1,753), Czechia (3,123 - 50% greater than the high yesterday, Morocco (2,488), Ukraine (3,584) and Spain (11,291) all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Closed Thread