Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #1
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 
Default How to add Aux In to your factory head unit

I like the look and fit of the factory head units but not the of lack inputs.
Fortunately it's quite easy to hack in aux in to these head units. All you need is a spare 3.5mm aux cable, or an old pair of headphones to rat for the cable, and a soldering iron & multimeter etc. The end result is quite neat as you can run the cable behind the ashtray etc and out into the centre console storage area.

This article has been moved to the technical portal.

Last edited by russellw; 20-08-2017 at 09:22 AM.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: How to add Aux In to your factory head unit

Someone give this fella ALL the beers.

Ive been wanting to work this out for years.

PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Great idea for non premium sound headunits.

For premium sound, just use this.

Which i have been using with great success
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
falcongt4me
TSCoA member Qld

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post

Where are these? ebay?

2002 AUIII TS50 Liquid Silver #206 (ex NZ)

T-Series Club of Australia member; QLD

falcongt4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:

They sound good as long as you make sure the "cassette's" head is aligned to the tape deck's head, or else you may find the left and right channels are of different volume, if so, you can wriggle it with your finger to adjust it.
You can still find these adapters at shops and online.

The other mod you can do with the S1 CD changer type deck is to install a DPDT relay inside the deck and intercept the CD changer L and R audio signals into the deck for an AUX in function, sounds really good!

You then just install a small switch to select between CD Changer audio or AUX in. (only works while a CD is actually playing though as the deck mutes the audio otherwise).
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongt4me View Post
Where are these? ebay?
ebay US

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ION-Audio...72.m2749.l2649

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif73
They sound good as long as you make sure the "cassette's" head is aligned to the tape deck's head, or else you may find the left and right channels are of different volume, if so, you can wriggle it with your finger to adjust it.
You can still find these adapters at shops and online.

The other mod you can do with the S1 CD changer type deck is to install a DPDT relay inside the deck and intercept the CD changer L and R audio signals into the deck for an AUX in function, sounds really good!

You then just install a small switch to select between CD Changer audio or AUX in. (only works while a CD is actually playing though as the deck mutes the audio otherwise).
Are you talking about the bluetooth unit i posted a pic of above or the cassettes with aux cable?

I have been using the bluetooth one and have experienced no issues, sounds great.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD-85 View Post
Someone give this fella ALL the beers.

Ive been wanting to work this out for years.

PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD
Done ... to make it easier to find for all.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #8
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
ebay US

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ION-Audio...72.m2749.l2649

Are you talking about the bluetooth unit i posted a pic of above or the cassettes with aux cable?

I have been using the bluetooth one and have experienced no issues, sounds great.
Just the regular aux cable type, but they both can have the same problem if not aligned, not really a big deal for most people though.

The other thing with various blue tooth devices is you are at the mercy of the Digital to Analog converter sound quality, again not an issue for most people.

Cheers, Andrew.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM   #9
adriantillin
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
I like the look and fit of the factory head units but not the of lack inputs.
Fortunately it's quite easy to hack in aux in to these head units. All you need is a spare 3.5mm aux cable, or an old pair of headphones to rat for the cable, and a soldering iron & multimeter etc. The end result is quite neat as you can run the cable behind the ashtray etc and out into the centre console storage area.

This article has been moved to the technical portal.
Great article - thanks and thanks for making it sticky 👍
adriantillin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post