Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #31
nuguy01au
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU 2-3 High Series Cluster Upgrade

went straight into back of the cluster. you can find pin numbers and details in this thread also if you have your workshop manual that will help
nuguy01au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #32
BadTruck81
"Layin Frame"

Thanks mate saw it was pin 3 on the 20pin plug but couldnt find a diagram of pin locations for that plug?
BadTruck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #33
shayne93
66 Mustang

So for coolant light, earth the black wire on header bottle and red wire on the header bottle to back of cluster?

Last edited by shayne93; 12-01-2012 at 02:25 PM.
shayne93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #34
BadTruck81
"Layin Frame"

yeah that sounds right mate but couldnt tell you which wire on the cluster. but i havnt done it yet so might not be right
BadTruck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2015, 10:44 PM   #35
TECHNO489
Starter Motor

Exclamation Re: AU 2-3 High Series Cluster Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
I know this has been covered a million times but some of the main things have never been answered, I changed my AU3 Forte cluster to a AU3 Fairmont Ghia Cluster today, all working great, only thing is that i dont have a trip meter as the high series have it in the climate control? and havn't wired up the individual door ajar and the washer fluid senser

all the tec docs around give basic instruction on upgrading a series 1 and just say change this these pins, not very easy to understand

the instructions for series 1 are pretty much the same for 2/3 with one of the wires changing colour but all pin locations staying the same

The following wires need to be moved around, in order for the Mid/High Cluster to function correctly,
1. The Park Lamp Dial (+ Positive) Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 13 to Pin 2. - Brown
2. The Dial Negative Dimmer Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 21 to Pin 3. - Light Blue / Red
3. The ABS Warning Lamp Wire needs to be moved from Pin 8 to Pin 23 - Orange/Black
4. The R.H. Side Indicator wire needs to be moved from Pin 19 to Pin 26 - Green / Light Blue (Series 1 is White / Light Blue)

(Using the Photo Below) The Pin numbers start from bottom right and go in a U shape to the top right spread over the 2 connections, so a total of 28 pins one connection has 8 pins (that does not exist on base model wiring) and the other has 20 pins

this photos is of the back of a AU3 Fairmont Ghia Cluster with a AU3 Forte Wiring loom, with the pins removed from the connection

Hope it's okay to rebirth this topic

Hi
I get this and understand it but not real clear on pinout numbering.
I connected this Fairmont cluster today to my 1/2000 AU1 Falcon and noticed it mostly works > revs, speed, left blinker, volt, so on.
what didn't work. turn parkers on and cluster lights turn off instead of dimming, right blinker and abs don't show.
I believe this 4 wires will fix my problem. pity DTE is not in this new cluster as I like to view that option.
Anyway 3 more gauges are better then DTE so I will live with out it.
Before I start cutting wires and making changes I would like a little more info please.
What is the pinout numbering to start with.
Another thing, oil light stays on and needle doesn't move. do I need to buy a pressure oil switch?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_21.jpg (141.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2139.JPG (120.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2140.jpg (66.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2141.jpg (57.7 KB, 54 views)
TECHNO489 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #36
TECHNO489
Starter Motor

Could someone please help me out.
I have done a lot of research and think this it correct
but I would like someone who has done this to let me know
if I am on the right track please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FORD AU Cluster wiring diagram.jpg (102.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 13-07-2015, 12:57 AM   #37
TECHNO489
Starter Motor

Okay so I found the PIN layout order swapped the 4 wires around

everything worked like I had hoped but came across a new problem
not mentioned on the board anywhere.

What was happening was when I start the car everything looked fine until
I needed to put the lights on. With Parkers the Odometer light would go
out.

The pin layout is as follows in the following image.

I had to do a lot of meter testing to find my answer on the next problem.
The Od lights going out with parkers on is a earthing problem from pin 15
on the 2nd connector. I found by jumping the wire from 13 to 1 fixed the
lighting problem with Od not lighting up with Parkers.
As I don't know if the white wire on pin 15 serves any other purpose
I thought it would be a better idea to put a Diode between 15 and 1
to allow power pass one way with Parker lights on. This works perfectly.

The following images shows the finished project

This user likes this post:
Old 20-07-2015, 03:11 AM   #38
TECHNO489
Starter Motor

Thought I would share a few more images. Got the plug from local wreckers.
I will be using this plug now instead of what I already did.
This it the small 12 pin plug, shows what colour cod wires go where.

3 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #39
Barnzey

Hi You seem to know a bit about the au cluster looking at some of the post, I was wondering if you could help... Im tring to put AU stereo controls into an EL.. Ive chased the wiring from clock work spring and RED/WHITE wire from there goes into the cluster and then come out as a RED/BLACK and a ORANGE and BLACK going to the stereo...
What happens in the cluster to go from 1 wire to 2 wires. I have looked every online and cant fine anything
Hope you can help
Thanks inadvance
Graham Barnes
Barnzey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #40
TECHNO489
Starter Motor

Hi Mate, this is the best I can offer. Wiring says nothing about stereo being connected to the cluster http://www.fordmods.com/ford-technic...ter-upgrade-d4
My only guess is the cluster wires are for dimming the stereo lights.

This is images of my old cluster, it's nothing great but maybe it will help.
http://oi63.tinypic.com/s5bf5y.jpg
http://oi64.tinypic.com/vbyud.jpg
http://oi67.tinypic.com/spw0hs.jpg
http://oi65.tinypic.com/dxidfq.jpg
Old 22-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #41
Fairlane Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh View Post
has been mentioned a few times around here, au1's had a "proper" oil pressure gauge, that actually moved as oil pressure changed. au2 and 3 only had a basic one that would just sit sorta half way all the time, without actually measuring the oil pressure, so they just ran a normal oil pressure switch instead of a pressure sender...

hope that makes sense...
Sorry to sidetrack this thread but does that mean the oil pressure gauge in AUII and III cars is effectively a glorified oil pressure light-it doesn't show me variations in the oil pressure in real time?

Is it possible for me to retrofit an AUI sender to my AUII Fairlane and get a "proper" gauge or not?
Fairlane Al is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #42
BenLange
Lange212

Cheers to the bloke that posted pictures and all the info for the wires for the cluster upgrade, you saved me heaps of time!!

So ive put a series 3 fairmont cluster in my series 2 ute. Everything works except for when i turn the car off and the lights are on, it doesnt make the warning noise like the standard low series cluster did. Anyone else had this problem?
BenLange is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #43
Ricknel76
Starter Motor

Thanks. This was very helpful. I have got my S3 XR dash now working in my S3 Forte.
Just did the odo light fix.
Only problem I had, was when I did the wiring to get the odo back light working, ended up activating the Smartshield. Couldn't start it.
Not sure why. Pretty sure I followed the instructions.
Maybe coincidental. I have snipped out the odo light wiring and had a locksmith reset BEM.
On the bright side, I now have a spare key.
��
Ricknel76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2022, 06:50 PM   #44
Regan
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Re: AU 2-3 High Series Cluster Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHNO489 View Post
Hope it's okay to rebirth this topic

Hi
I get this and understand it but not real clear on pinout numbering.
I connected this Fairmont cluster today to my 1/2000 AU1 Falcon and noticed it mostly works > revs, speed, left blinker, volt, so on.
what didn't work. turn parkers on and cluster lights turn off instead of dimming, right blinker and abs don't show.
I believe this 4 wires will fix my problem. pity DTE is not in this new cluster as I like to view that option.
Anyway 3 more gauges are better then DTE so I will live with out it.
Before I start cutting wires and making changes I would like a little more info please.
What is the pinout numbering to start with.
Another thing, oil light stays on and needle doesn't move. do I need to buy a pressure oil switch?

Thanks
G’day - moving forward some 6-7yrs since your foray into cluster up grades on the AU Falcon it enabled me to carry out an up grade on my AUII XLS ute from low series cluster to a sedan XR series II cluster - following your steps it all seems to work ok - I used a high series AU cluster connector from a dash I was given which made the whole swap easy as thanks to your posts and other info within the ford forum site
Regan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2022, 04:03 PM   #45
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

That's what we hope when we share our ups and downs, great to hear the info still helps
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2024, 04:14 PM   #46
Shen Long
Starter Motor

i know this is a very old thread, i was just wandering, I've done all the things needed to upgrade my Ford S3 Futura to a high-series Ghia cluster, but for some strange reason, i can NOT get the illumination to work [cluster lights]. Any ideas???
Shen Long is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post