Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-09-2020, 10:55 PM   #1
SteelMagnum01
Starter Motor

Default What have I bought and what can I do with it?

Hi everyone,

I bought a car off a young fella couple of months ago to get to work and teach my kids to drive stick.
Its very loud and obnoxious looking, has round headlights, perfect for humiliating my holden loving father.
Its an 02 AUII XR6 VCT Man, Has 212k, apparently only runs on 98.
But what is it?
Some guy offered me a lot of cash for it at my local Woolies, even offered a trade on his 4x4.
Where I live is 4x4 country & Holden Utes so finding someone whose into 6's, let alone ford 6's is rare, my millennial kids can't find any help for me.
Youtube has a lot of boosted vids etc which is cool.
If you need me to take pics to upload that's fine.
If this car is decent and worth the time, I will put money into it, i'll learn everything about it, I'm disabled now from work injury so I have time and can get the resources, etc.
The person who did the roadworthy said it's a very solid clean car for its age, I also asked if anything was to sht itself next he said nothing comes to mind from what he observed.

So yeah come at me with everything please.
SteelMagnum01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2020, 11:26 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: What have I bought and what can I do with it?

Sedan or ute? I drive an AU2 XR6 manual ute most days. This at least qualifies me to have strong opinions, even if they’re wrong.

Oil leaks in the six are my pet hate. It’s the only part which has nearly broken me with the incessant question posed as “Where from now?”. This week it’s the twenty year old oil pressure switch leaking.

On the manual, the rubbish soft alloy gearbox nose, and piteous excuse for a clutch pedal assembly that will confound you.

Some AUs really rust. Some almost don’t. None have a pollen filter, so your AC will be full of decomposed leaf matter.

If it is not rusty, you can maintain it with prompt topical repairs. They come apart easily. I find the AU ute more engaging to drive than my BA ute, which makes me dozy when driving. This may also be partly due to its exhaust leak.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #3
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a good car, not the flagship of the au lineup, but not far from the top.
VCT donk is great, reliable, plenty of power stock to lose your license/bend it around a power pole. Lots of people say they're heavier on fuel than the hp 6cyl in series 1, I've had both, its negligible if anything.
Only problems you'll have will be electric window switches, roof lining sagging and rust.

As for mods, keep it tame so you dont break the gearbox, basic bolt ons and a tune will get you an honest 150~rwkw which in a car as light and nimble as the au xr6 is enough to have fun with.
And to sort of answer your question, if you were in the market for a 6 cylinder falcon, from 1998-2002, money no object, the only one better than yours was the xr6 st.
If you want specific info, check out the au sub forums.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-09-2020, 12:07 AM   #4
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Its a good car, not the flagship of the au lineup, but not far from the top.
VCT donk is great, reliable, plenty of power stock to lose your license/bend it around a power pole. Lots of people say they're heavier on fuel than the hp 6cyl in series 1, I've had both, its negligible if anything.
Only problems you'll have will be electric window switches, roof lining sagging and rust.

As for mods, keep it tame so you dont break the gearbox, basic bolt ons and a tune will get you an honest 150~rwkw which in a car as light and nimble as the au xr6 is enough to have fun with.
And to sort of answer your question, if you were in the market for a 6 cylinder falcon, from 1998-2002, money no object, the only one better than yours was the xr6 st.
If you want specific info, check out the au sub forums.

Couple of things, vct and hp engine was across all three series, hp is base model xr, vct is just higher spec and also means irs if sedan.

As for light and nimble, An irs equipped falcon weighs almost as much as a ba. They’re no featherweight.

Great car if it’s been looked after, can be an ongoing money pit if it’s been neglected or you have to pay someone to do everything.

Also being a 2002 it should be a series III shouldn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2020, 12:18 AM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will run fine on 91.

Even my Xr8 Sprint doesn't need 98.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2020, 06:59 AM   #6
SteelMagnum01
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Couple of things, vct and hp engine was across all three series, hp is base model xr, vct is just higher spec and also means irs if sedan.

As for light and nimble, An irs equipped falcon weighs almost as much as a ba. They’re no featherweight.

Great car if it’s been looked after, can be an ongoing money pit if it’s been neglected or you have to pay someone to do everything.

Also being a 2002 it should be a series III shouldn’t it?
Its a sedan
Not sure on series III. The kid I bought it off called it a stage II and the guy that wanted to buy it from me called it a series II.
Is there a plate on this car that can give me more info?
Old 13-09-2020, 07:09 AM   #7
SteelMagnum01
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Sedan or ute? I drive an AU2 XR6 manual ute most days. This at least qualifies me to have strong opinions, even if they’re wrong.

Oil leaks in the six are my pet hate. It’s the only part which has nearly broken me with the incessant question posed as “Where from now?”. This week it’s the twenty year old oil pressure switch leaking.

On the manual, the rubbish soft alloy gearbox nose, and piteous excuse for a clutch pedal assembly that will confound you.

Some AUs really rust. Some almost don’t. None have a pollen filter, so your AC will be full of decomposed leaf matter.

If it is not rusty, you can maintain it with prompt topical repairs. They come apart easily. I find the AU ute more engaging to drive than my BA ute, which makes me dozy when driving. This may also be partly due to its exhaust leak.
Its a sedan mate sorry.
There are no leaks yet after a couple months of learner driving in it. The clutch gets tired after a long day driving around town.
The starter motor is now becoming an issue but these are all minor things.
Old 13-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

If you already own the car and think it looks and drives well, have had a mechanic look it over and likes what he sees, keep it for now.
There are a lot of AU followers floating around here so there will always be plenty of help f and advice regarding this model Ford.

and Welcome.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Left side of the motor is smartest to take a labour hit (or time hit if DIY) on, and do all age/mileage fixes on at once.

1. Starter
2. Oil pressure switch
3. Coil/leads
4. Motor mount
5. Intake manifold gasket
Old 13-09-2020, 09:07 AM   #10
SteelMagnum01
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Will run fine on 91.

Even my Xr8 Sprint doesn't need 98.
I ran the car for a week on 91 and it was terrible.
Since then if you give it a squirt when cornering sharply it stops for a moment then comes back to life and the top of the engine now sounds really tick tacky.
Old 13-09-2020, 10:18 AM   #11
SteelMagnum01
Starter Motor

Default What have I bought and what can I do with it?

Hi everyone,

I've brought this same question from another thread in these forums.

I bought a car off a young fella couple of months ago to get to work and teach my kids to drive stick.
Its very loud and obnoxious looking, has round headlights, perfect for humiliating my holden loving father.
But what is it?
Some guy offered me a lot of cash for it at my local Woolies, even offered a trade on his 4x4.
Where I live is 4x4 country & Holden Utes so finding someone whose into 6's, let alone ford 6's is rare, my millennial kids can't find any help for me.
If this car is decent and worth the time, I will put money into it, i'll learn everything about it, I'm disabled now from work injury so I have time and can get the resources, etc.
The person who did the roadworthy said it's a very solid clean car for its age, I also asked if anything was to fail next he said nothing comes to mind from what he observed.

So yeah come at me with questions on everything please.
Old 13-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #12
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

The car probably has been modified, with a tune that requires 98. From factory it did not need to be on 98.

What is stage 2?? Camshaft? turbo??

Post photos of the outside, inside, and the engine for a better understanding of what you have.

There's an ID plate under the bonnet, passenger side near the windscreen. It will tell you the build date (month/year) and if it's AUII or AUIII.

Curious, what was "a lot of cash" that was offered exactly?
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMagnum01 View Post
I ran the car for a week on 91 and it was terrible.
Since then if you give it a squirt when cornering sharply it stops for a moment then comes back to life and the top of the engine now sounds really tick tacky.
I’d say that could be oil pressure, either low or a faulty switch.
Old 13-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
I think you should have taken it.
Old 13-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #15
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I've brought this same question from another thread in these forums.

But what is it?
The person who did the roadworthy said it's a very solid clean car for its age, I also asked if anything was to fail next he said nothing comes to mind from what he observed.

So yeah come at me with questions on everything please.
Send us some photos. A couple of the engine as well would be helpful.

That way, we can comment on what we see.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #16
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Threads merged and moved to a more appropriate area for advice.

Please don't create multiple threads. It creates confusion. If you are having trouble deciding which area to post in, please contact a mod to help you.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #17
SteelMagnum01
Starter Motor

Here are some images and videos.
Appologies its an 01.
I got in contact with the kid I bought it from again and he said he calls it a stage 2 as the owner before him was a mechanic that rebuilt the motor and that's what he called it, a stage 2.
So take that with a grain of salt.
The guy at woolies carpark offered me 10k cash or his 06 Navara, I got his number still.

Car 1
Plate 1
Plate 2
Engine bay
Unknown extractors
Exhaust 1
Exhaust 2
Exhaust 3
Exhaust 4
Under carridge
Engine bay vid
exhaust idle
Car rev vid

Last edited by SteelMagnum01; 13-09-2020 at 06:31 PM. Reason: photos and links didn't work
Old 13-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #18
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Appologies its an 01.
I got in contact with the kid I bought it from again and he said he calls it a stage 2 as the owner before him was a mechanic that rebuilt the motor and that's what he called it, a stage 2.
So take that with a grain of salt.
The guy at woolies carpark offered me 10k cash or his 06 Navara, I got his number still.

image Car 1
image Plate 1
image Plate 2
image Engine bay
image Unknown extractors
image Exhaust 1
image Exhaust 2
image Exhaust 3
image Exhaust 4
image Under carridge
image Engine bay vid
image exhaust idle
image Car rev vid
Take the money and run
Old 13-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #19
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Take the money and run
THIS!!

IF he indeed offered you $10K, then call him immediately, take the money, and smile from ear to ear. That is too good an offer.
Old 13-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #20
SteelMagnum01
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
THIS!!

IF he indeed offered you $10K, then call him immediately, take the money, and smile from ear to ear. That is too good an offer.
I guess there is no value to these cars. I won't waste my time on it then.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
s it blowing coolant out of the exhaust or was it just cold started and blowing condensation? Looks tidy and well looked after but it's still the market says it's not worth a lot per https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/deta...OT-ITM-223507/
Old 13-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #22
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
I guess there is no value to these cars. I won't waste my time on it then.
Mate, i'm yet to hear of anyone getting 10k for an XR6 in that condition. There is value in these cars in top condition, especially XR8's. If you want to keep it then go for it, but 10k is a crazy amount of money for an XR6 in that condition. Im wondering if the guy who offered you money thought it was an XR8. That car is simply a S2 XR6, it's certainly not rare, yet..........
Old 13-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #23
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Is there no coolant in the reservoir? It looks clean but doesn't look like there's any coolant in it.
Old 13-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #24
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The good news is that your car is exactly what it appears to be:
Build Date: 16.08.2001
Vehicle Line: Falcon
Body Style: 4 Door Saloon
Version: XR
Engine: 4.0L Sohc EFI(VCT)
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual Transmission (T5)
Drive: RHD RWD
Emission: Australian Design Requirements
Air Conditioning: Manual Air Conditioning
Territory: (+)"AUS"
Paint: Narooma Blue

Broad Meadows (Australia)
With Driver Air Bag
With Passenger Air Bag
7 X 16" Alloy Wheels
Rear Axle Limited Slip Differential
4 Wheel Anti-Lock Braking System
For Unleaded Fuel
With Speed Control
Old 13-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #25
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Ok, I've just spotted what makes this car special, and worth quite a bit.

Can you check the dash for any extra buttons? Maybe some extra bracketry on the body panels?

I think it's one of those Transformer cars. If so, then don't sell it at any cost. Ultra rare vehicle you have there.
Old 13-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #26
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Value is often dependent on location.
Older Falcons are becoming increasingly desirable, and if you want to keep an AU, then a manual XR6 with VCT is not a bad one. Personally I would always opt for the XR8, but the 6's have their followers.
Old 14-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #27
SteelMagnum01
Starter Motor

I contacted the guy that offered me and he will be coming by in 3 weeks to see me again, fifo miner.

He told me he knew the guy from Moranbah who owned it prior to the kid I bought it off and what he did to it so I understand why he made such an offer.

It explains all the extra holes and wires all over the place in the car.

Kind of disappointed, I think I would have enjoyed rebuilding this car. The guy that wants it said to drive it like a race car and holy wtf this thing flies.