Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
sadams
Starter Motor

Default Pinging

Hi All,

I know there have been a lot of posts about this before, but I cant find a final solution. My 06 focus (24000km) has always been run on 95-98 fuel. It started pinging occasionally, couple of times a day, in the last few thousand k's; but I was stuck out of town on Good Friday, with no access to premium (and almost completely out of fuel, I'd gotten lost), so had to fill up with 91. I know :(
Hasn't it gone crazy! Pings it's little head off every time I even think about touching the accelerator, and using cruise on a hill just hurts.
I know there were hints at an ECU flash early last year, did Ford come up with anything, or it the answer from them still "that's normal"? I just wanted an idea before its next service so I know what's available. I'll probably get the same response as I did with the ticking in time with the revs when it's cold ("we can't hear it.", "well don't start it every half-hour; it needs to be COLD."), but just thought I'd ask.

Many thanks,
Shane

sadams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Try advancing your spark timing. It's been done by a whole bunch of people on here and from what they've said it works a treat. Lose a eensy weensy bit of torque down low but pick it up in higher revs.
For a tutorial, see here -
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....e+spark+timing

Regan

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
sadams
Starter Motor

Hiya Regan,

Thanks for the link. I have seen that one, but me mucking about with the car stopped years ago (it got too expensive to repair). I might ask Ford or a mechanic if they can do it.

Cheers
Shane
sadams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Nah it's pretty easy to do. Not much can really go wrong with it. Depending on where you live, there will more than likely be someone from the forums that lives close to you who can do it for you if you're not confident in doing it yourself

Regan

Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrusher89
Try advancing your spark timing. It's been done by a whole bunch of people on here and from what they've said it works a treat. Lose a eensy weensy bit of torque down low but pick it up in higher revs.
For a tutorial, see here -
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....e+spark+timing

Regan
:O:O:O:O

I've advanced it an now can only run 98... If you want to stop pinging retard the timing!!!

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sheesh dont they teach motor shop any more...
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
:O:O:O:O

I've advanced it an now can only run 98... If you want to stop pinging retard the timing!!!
My bad :

Old 05-04-2008, 06:24 AM   #8
profit_trd
Starter Motor

i did that also. i advanced it almost to the end and now when i use 95 here, it's pinging.. i even use octan booster since in Indonesia the highest octan is only 95.
profit_trd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by profit_trd
i did that also. i advanced it almost to the end and now when i use 95 here, it's pinging.. i even use octan booster since in Indonesia the highest octan is only 95.
Try moving the sensor the other way.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
Curly
SOLD: 2006 LS Focus LX

Ford CANNOT fix this problem. They have given up on our Focus. The dealer and Ford Head Office say there is nothing more they can do. It has been back MANY times and we have written MANY letters. This is our 3rd Ford that has pinged. We loved this car when we got it but this situation is ridiculous. We will never buy another Ford.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2008, 04:01 AM   #11
profit_trd
Starter Motor

Quote:
Try moving the sensor the other way.
tried that.. but the response was sluggish. but almost no pinging with octane 95. and, fuel consumption was slightly higher with 92 than 95.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
BlackLS
yum

Has anybody tried larger injectors?

Also profittrd, is there many Focus's in Indo? Also where is your Focus made? (it should say behind the driver's side rear door.)

Old 10-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
profit_trd
Starter Motor

Quote:
Has anybody tried larger injectors?

Also profittrd, is there many Focus's in Indo? Also where is your Focus made? (it should say behind the driver's side rear door.)
Quite a lot for this class. I think it's about several hundreds cars to one thousand last year. ours is made either in Philippine or Thailand (it doesn't say on the door).