Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 24-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Default fitting race harness in FPV Ute

Hi, has anyone fitted a 5 point race harness in a FPV ute without a roll cage.

I am just wondering what is involved.... (Sticky tyres are calling for better seat belt )

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use

Last edited by superpursuit83; 24-11-2006 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

A 5 point will mean you have to drill a hole in the floor.

You can do a 4 point without drilling holes, the latch on the back set will take the shoulder straps and all you need to do for the waist straps is add some eyelets to base of the seat.

I have only witnessed this I am not sure of how to do this (as I dont need to with a seperate race car!) there will be someone who can give you a better description I'm sure.

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

4 point sounds good, I just want to be able to stay in my seat on the sweeper at Barbagallo.. haha

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Old 24-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Running a harness without a rollcage is a big no no. If the car rolls and the roof is crushed in, the occupants can't slide out of the belts and their head/necks will be crushed.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Running a harness without a rollcage is a big no no. If the car rolls and the roof is crushed in, the occupants can't slide out of the belts and their head/necks will be crushed.
Ok, so now I am looking for a nice neat roll cage too, that will enhance the performance look of the ute

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Old 24-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
Ok, so now I am looking for a nice neat roll cage too, that will enhance the performance look of the ute
You'll be able to take that sweeper much quicker to with the stiffer chassis.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
That doesn't make any sense to me. A seat belt is a 3 point harness. Adding 1 point (4 point will make) no difference even in a roll over w/out cage. The main problem most have is running the belts over the rear of the front seat. I've been quite a few that are incorrectly done. They are designed to be run through the seat and not over it, with both of my 4 points do. This way it holds you down in the seat like that shoulder strap of the 3 point (seat belt) does. Both 3 and 4 points do not prevent submarining. The only difference between a 4 point and point is a crutch strap.

In a roll over a 3 point belt holds you in place. You head/neck can still be crushed etc etc.

If your not keen on rolling over? A roll cage is the only protection to have. Belt's whether they are 3/4 or 5 point won't make a difference. It's the cage that keeps the cockpit in the correct shape.

My experience? My mum some how rolled a Nissan Bluebird wagon. It went around 5 times we were told by a witness. The roof stood up real well. It only crushed 4-6" max. It stopped on it's roof. My mum was hanging there in the 3 point (seat belt) upside down. She just unclipped the buckle and fell on her head rofl. She wasn't thinking (in shock). A 4 point with a bucket would do exactly the same in a roll over and if the buckle was unclipped. Watch your head though. I reckon my mum suffered more injury from falling on her head than the roll over itself.

Nissan Bluebirds aren't real strong either. I've ran into one @ 40kph and belt it up real nice (write off) many many years ago.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #8
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
That doesn't make any sense to me. A seat belt is a 3 point harness. Adding 1 point (4 point will make) no difference even in a roll over w/out cage. The main problem most have is running the belts over the rear of the front seat. I've been quite a few that are incorrectly done. They are designed to be run through the seat and not over it, with both of my 4 points do. This way it holds you down in the seat like that shoulder strap of the 3 point (seat belt) does. Both 3 and 4 points do not prevent submarining. The only difference between a 4 point and point is a crutch strap.

In a roll over a 3 point belt holds you in place. You head/neck can still be crushed etc etc.

If your not keen on rolling over? A roll cage is the only protection to have. Belt's whether they are 3/4 or 5 point won't make a difference. It's the cage that keeps the cockpit in the correct shape.

My experience? My mum some how rolled a Nissan Bluebird wagon. It went around 5 times we were told by a witness. The roof stood up real well. It only crushed 4-6" max. It stopped on it's roof. My mum was hanging there in the 3 point (seat belt) upside down. She just unclipped the buckle and fell on her head rofl. She wasn't thinking (in shock). A 4 point with a bucket would do exactly the same in a roll over and if the buckle was unclipped. Watch your head though. I reckon my mum suffered more injury from falling on her head than the roll over itself.

Nissan Bluebirds aren't real strong either. I've ran into one @ 40kph and belt it up real nice (write off) many many years ago.
It makes perfect sense. It is very easy to slide out the side of a standard seatbelt, but it is very difficult to slide out the side of a 5 or 6 point harness. It is common knowledge in the circuit racing fraternity that a harness shouldn't be used without a rollcage and that a rollcage can present a safety hazard on the road.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess how hard it is sliding out would depend on the release mechanism? My 4pt's use a standard seat belt buckle. 5 and 6 point harness's are like spider web to get out of I've say in a dirt track car that had a 5 point. It had a weird buckle which seemed simple enough to undo till you were strapped in and couldn't lean forward to see what you needed to do to unbuckle it.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 01:55 AM   #10
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

I Just brought 2 Simpson 5 points which will be fitted to a taxi bar installed onto a 4-6 point rollcage after motorvation.
Undoing these belts is as simple as pulling the large lever, it even has a hole drilled into it in which you could tie a peice of bright coloured rope, (which would hang in your face if you were upside down)

arnt they sexy? perhaps the worst thing about these belts is that when they are on it is hard to check your blindspot or perve on chicks as ya drive past em
Old 25-11-2006, 01:58 AM   #11
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

it would be so easy to get out of them if you were upside down cuz when they undo there are no loops which you have to get your arms out of
Old 25-11-2006, 08:42 AM   #12
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
Hi, has anyone fitted a 5 point race harness in a FPV ute without a roll cage.

I am just wondering what is involved.... (Sticky tyres are calling for better seat belt )
Call me on Monday afternoon after 4.00pm melbourne time, i'll run through it with you.

03 9305 3000.

Chris

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 02:28 AM   #13
f6tornado111
Banned

Quote:
4 point sounds good, I just want to be able to stay in my seat on the sweeper at Barbagallo.. haha

Mate, get that ute lapping in uner 60 seconds before worrying about the harness..

Brace the leg against the firewall and door first!!!!

I was ~2 seconds behind a 996 TT Porsche ( on race rubber ) in the tub on the weekend, your tyres have a tonne in them!!

But then, it'd look pretty damn horn :
f6tornado111 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post