Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-05-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Mobile Car Kits in the Focus: where do they go?

Putting a car kit for my phone in soon and part of it (genuine Nokia kit) is a cradle which holds and charges the phone, so obviously it's going to need connection to power somewhere.

I'm assuming it attaches to the centre console where the CD player and HVAC controls are, but it's got me buggered as to where it'd connect - im not allowindg any holes to be drilled and i dont want any obvious attachments.

Has anyone had one put in, if so how's it all connected and where does it all end up?
Old 03-05-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
brother

I'd try removing the ash tray and attaching it in there somehow. Assuming you don't smoke in your car.
brother is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Brother,

no i dont smoke and the ashtray is pretty useless to me - the one part i may use at some stage is the ciggy lighter as a source of power.
I'm toying with the idea of buying an LX centre fascia (the brushed silver one), and having the part where the ashtray/lighter is (the indented part) fibreglassed over so its all flat with just the ciggy lighter sticking out so i can use it for power. I figure if i dont use the ashtray there's no need for it to be there and i think it would cleaner and less cluttered if i got this fascia made up.

As for the phone kit my main concern is where the cradle for the phone goes - at this stage i want it to be on the LHS (passenger) side of the headunit facing me in the drivers seat, although im unsure of how The Genuine Nokia Cradle connects/attaches to a mounting point. Any ideas?
Old 03-05-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
Mick K.

Here are a few pics of some car kit installations...

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 06:51 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

#1 and #3 are what im after, #3 is a bit of a cleaner looking install.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah #3 is what i want, now just to make it happen!
Old 03-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Yeah #3 is what i want, now just to make it happen!
Useless can make it happen for ya..
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'm sure he could, but seeing as I'm 4hrs away from Sydney...........

Btw i had a look at those links you sent me - thanks for them. The next thing i have to find out now is about the Nokia parts.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:05 PM   #9
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
I'm sure he could, but seeing as I'm 4hrs away from Sydney...........

Btw i had a look at those links you sent me - thanks for them. The next thing i have to find out now is about the Nokia parts.
4hrs away.. damn you should be doing it in a Falcon next time. :>

The Nokia has a little square base for a flat surface and an adjustable joint if required to set the angle off the bracket.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:14 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Hmmm, so I'm going to need a bracket to get in behind that fascia. Which is where one like you showed me last night would be very handy.

I'll ask around at some of the car audio places who do phone installs and see what they use, im aiming to do it myself.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:34 PM   #11
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Hmmm, so I'm going to need a bracket to get in behind that fascia. Which is where one like you showed me last night would be very handy.

I'll ask around at some of the car audio places who do phone installs and see what they use, im aiming to do it myself.
Yep you need one outragously expensive Nokia kit to suit your phone, I've had a few good aftermarket one but most of them are clear and simple junk.

Then you need a bracket to suit your car. So unlike most of the traded company vehicle it doesn't end up with a dash full of holes..

Then its the electrics, which are a piece of cake after you've done at least one other of the same vehicle.

The good installers will do a top notch job in 20 minutes to an hour complete, doing it yourself dont plan too much else on that Saturday. (you have been warned) I'm not an installer btw, just someone that regularly gets pestered to do them.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:42 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah I'm by no means a pro at stuff like this but I figure if I take my time and do it properly i may learn something along the way!

If I wimp out which is definately on the cards, im good friends with the manager of a place here that does them so I'll have them do it.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:36 PM   #13
Suth
Suth

Thumbs up

dude, simple, new phone with bluetooth. There are a myriad of handsfree/loudspeaker bluetooth kits out there. Easy file transfer too between fone and PC. you cant lose with bluetooth

Last edited by Suth; 03-05-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Suth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 10:44 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive only just bought a new phone and unfortunately it doesnt have Bluetooth, to be honest I think I prefer the older method of connection though. My phone does have loudspeaker though which is great, so i may even end up just getting the cradle fitted and using the loudspeaker mode in the phone.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #15
Suth
Suth

yeah thats kinda inconvenient. Best thing I ever bought was the K700i Plays video (as 3gp files), MP3 etc, only thing it doesnt have is a memory stick slot. HTTP browsing, not much it doesn't do.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

What sorta phone do you have??

Ring a guy in QLD, he does all the Ford dealers and will send you a braket if you send him a cheque (I assume)

Prestige Car Phones

Look him up on www.whitepages.com.au in QLD

His name is Andrew King
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suth
yeah thats kinda inconvenient. Best thing I ever bought was the K700i Plays video (as 3gp files), MP3 etc, only thing it doesnt have is a memory stick slot. HTTP browsing, not much it doesn't do.
My Nokia 6230 does all that, has a 32MB memory card, is tiny, has bluetooth... wicked phone.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:11 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I just got one of the new Nokia car kits, that fits all the new 6000 - 7000 series fones, ilke the 7250 etc.

They now come Bluetooth enabled which i think is a cool feature, so not only do you have the cradle on the dash, but you also have the Nokia bluetooth button which works with the cradle, and can be used with a bluetooth compatible fone!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2005, 10:53 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Havent done it yet as funds have been a bit tight - having been returned to the realm of the unemployed it's put a bit of a clamp on car plans.

It is the first thing to do once i can afford it though.