Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry South African holiday road toll passes 900

South African holiday road toll passes 900

MORE than 900 people have died on South Africa's roads this December, with 19 killed in the latest ghastly crash, a head-on collision between a minibus taxi and a car.

A car with four passengers tried to pass another car on a highway in the Free State, and hit an oncoming minibus taxi carrying 15 people, police said today.

Both vehicles caught fire, and some of the victims were burnt beyond recognition, the South African Press Association (SAPA) reported.

Road accident deaths in South Africa are double the global average, a result of drunk-driving, speeding, aggressive driving and other factors.

South Africa's Road Traffic Management Corporation said reckless overtaking is a main reason for the 900 deaths on South African roads since December 1.

"Major contributory factors remain speeds too high for circumstances, especially at night and during inclement weather, drinking and driving, drinking and walking and dangerous overtaking on barrier lines in the face of coming traffic,'' spokesperson Ashref Ismail told SAPA.

Transport Minister S'bu Ndebele warned last year that South Africa faces an "epidemic" in road deaths.

The country has about 14,000 road fatalities a year, and 60 per cent of drivers killed in crashes were under the influence of alcohol. South Africa's population is about 49 million.

"We cannot continue treating road deaths as normal when we are facing death by design, death by human error, death through carelessness, death through drunkenness, all of which can be stopped," said Ndebele, whose own son died in a car crash.

"In fact, by 2015, it is estimated that road crashes will be the number one killer of children aged five to 14 in Africa, outstripping malaria and HIV and AIDS," he said.

My comment "and our Government goes berko with our road toll..what would they do with this !!!"

Old 28-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: South African holiday road toll passes 900

Driving on their roads I think they are lucky with the number they have! It is frightening to say the least. There are lots of police on the freeways but $20.00 is the extent of the fine paid through the window and straight in their pocket. The taxies all carry 10 plus people in mini buss's and there are 1000's of them. Also pedestrians on the road out strip cars 2 to 1. Australia has gone too far while over there they havnt even considered responsible driving

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The sad part is they just don't know what to do about it.

Australia's road toll peaked in 1970 with 3,780, considering we now have three times as many vehicles
on the road and only a third of the fatalities I think we can safely say that's no accident and has
less to do with alcohol and speeding,and more to do with attitude but our biggest killer is still single vehicle accidents.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read today that south Africa also has a massive murder rate aswell. Much bigger then the US. It's a wonder their population is growing with how many people get wiped out per year.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I read today that south Africa also has a massive murder rate aswell. Much bigger then the US. It's a wonder their population is growing with how many people get wiped out per year.
imagine what their population would be with 'normal' road deaths and murder stats then...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Not enough regard for human life.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Have a look at the Indian road toll if you think thats bad.
Old 28-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
While both of the above (auto/murder deaths) are a terrible thing for any country to bare, they both pale into insignificance when compared to their HIV/AIDS problems.....

http://www.avert.org/aidssouthafrica.htm

Dealing with any one of the above would be a major task for a government me thinks, but having to deal with the lot would be a nightmare....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
351ciofgrunt
Go Hard or Go Home

All I can say is immigrating to Australia is one of the best things our family ever did.

...and I've NEVER been back
351ciofgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351ciofgrunt
All I can say is immigrating to Australia is one of the best things our family ever did.

The South African guy at work says the opposite, he'd be better off back there, he's got some interesting stories about black vs white violence back in the 60s/70s/80s/90s, he's the former.

He also mentioned how even here in Australia, he wants nothing to do with white South Africans, so its still in the back of his mind.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
The South African guy at work says the opposite, he'd be better off back there, he's got some interesting stories about black vs white violence back in the 60s/70s/80s/90s, he's the former.

He also mentioned how even here in Australia, he wants nothing to do with white South Africans, so its still in the back of his mind.
yet he's still here
Old 28-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1
yet he's still here
Yeah, he was search and rescue paramedic back in South Africa, but they don't recognise his degree and qualification here to be a paramedic, so he got stuck in fabrication. Two of his kids are born here and don't have South African residency or what ever it is which is another issue, his youngest one doesn't want anything to do with the home country either

He tells me he'd be better off back home money and house wise, he went from driving a new BMW 5 series and owning a house in the mid 90s, to driving an old ratty 2000 Hilux today.
Old 28-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
z80
Banned

Quote:

You're not the first one I've heard say that.

Welcome to aus, best country on the planet.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
351ciofgrunt
Go Hard or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
You're not the first one I've heard say that.

Welcome to aus, best country on the planet.
Damn straight, if you don't love it, LEAVE!
351ciofgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Quote:
Damn straight, if you don't love it, LEAVE!
Btw I'm from Sa originally too and agree fully!
Old 28-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1
Btw I'm from Sa originally too and agree fully!
Which area, I'm curious, workmate is from the Boland area.
Old 28-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #17
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Joburg area! Gangsters Paradise.
Old 28-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #18
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love Australia and the so called "nanny state" I live in. This is what hapens when society is out of control.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #19
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

yeah Oz is pretty unique and its not until you have been everywhere else that you relise how good it is, well hopefully the head ranger and corrupt pollies wont ruin it.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #20
jrfttf
Getting By!?

Cleary the road toll ect shows what human life is worth to some countrys!
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #21
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Seth Efrican guys I've worked with over the years all say the same thing...the place is going to be very interesting when Nelson Mandela drops off the twig. Some thing about many nasty groups being restrained because they don't want to "offend" the great man, but once he's gone, they'll feel free to let the white and Indian South African population know exactly what they think of them, in no uncertain terms...think something like Robert Mugabes' Zimbabwe...

The road toll is, unfortunately, probably pretty ordinary for places like that. I remember a quote about driving in some South American countries, where they warned tourist drivers that "vehicles don't obey the laws of physics, much less the laws of the road"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #22
roushfenway

That's a horrifying statistic, but not in any way shocking. My wife is originally from Zim farming stock and most of her family now lives in SA. I've been to SA a few times with her and she's terrified to death of driving on the roads there. And with good reason. Drink driving is endemic amongst both the white and black populations and it's a big factor - but not the only one.
roushfenway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #23
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its sad reading these statistics but I guess its life for many parts of the world.

I think I remember reading 50 people are murdered a day in South Africa.

Although the worst for murder is Honduras, as it has a massive cocaine trade. The problem with the drug trade is that it murder and violence becomes so embedded in everyday life that it gives people a feeling of immunity, so even minor disputes are settled with violence. Its actually so bad over there that it is illegal to carry a passenger on a motorbike because so many drive-by shootings are carried out by people on the back of a motorbike with a machine gun.

Another tragic statistic is that here in Australia the biggest killer of people under 55 is suicide. Mental health and depression is a subject Im very passionate about and I wish it got the same attention as the road toll and murder. In the end every life lost is a tragedy.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #24
billy302

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The sad part is they just don't know what to do about it.
Yes it's true, there are so many Africans who don't have licences and drive, its so much more than an epidemic. They seem to think that is their right. You drive so why shouldn't I. Vehicle maintenance is another issue.
If you are going to South Africa please do not get into the first taxi you see. Take the time look at it closely before you get in. A Taxi in Johannesburg was involved in an accident and they found a pair of vice grips welded to the steering column where the steering wheel should be.
This is not a joke, I'm serious, people are so poor, they fix cars with anything available. Try checking the Easter road toll in Johannesburg alone last year.
They don't know what to do about it, neither do I.

Last edited by billy302; 29-12-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: grammer
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my colleagues is from South Africa and every now and again you get a story of why he would never live there again. So it is not a surprise that **** hole has such a high toll.

One particular instance he was forced off the road by a group of lovely men packing assault rifles. Yeah I'd prefer a radar gun any day of the week
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Just put in a few hundred speed cameras and the road toll will halve straight away, cause speed cameras save lives.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:17 AM   #27
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Just put in a few hundred speed cameras and the road toll will halve straight away, cause speed cameras save lives.
Thats why Queensland's road toll is 24 higher than last year, because speed cameras work!!! BS !!!!
Old 30-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #28
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Not surprising coming from a country where you can literally buy you drivers license on the side of the road :\