Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
auslander

Default CB Install for Focus?

Anyone installed a CB into their Focus? Was after firewall access and the like and any other little joys i should know about.

auslander is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
BlackLS
yum

I've done a subwoofer install with 2 guage wire through the car.

Just behind the battery box is a big grommet that u should be able to fix your coax and constant power through. Keep in mind you can't get accessories power from the cigarette lighter socket.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
auslander

Thanks BlackLS.. that's the info i was after. Just hope it isn't up high, and i have to hunt like a madman up under the dash assembly.

After thinking about it for awhile now, another issue it exactly where to site the antenna. I had a boot lid kit i was going to use on my commodore. But a hatch has a low supply of flat boot lid area

Thanks again mate.
auslander is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslander
Thanks BlackLS.. that's the info i was after. Just hope it isn't up high, and i have to hunt like a madman up under the dash assembly.

After thinking about it for awhile now, another issue it exactly where to site the antenna. I had a boot lid kit i was going to use on my commodore. But a hatch has a low supply of flat boot lid area

Thanks again mate.
Just start pushing through cable through the grommet. Inside, in the passenger footwell, pull back the carpet and reach under the sound deadener. You should start to feel the cable eventually. I did this with 2 guage (although a lot more noticable) in about 2 mins.

What kind of antenna are you thinking? Rubber ducky, broome handle etc?

I think the best solution I've seen is the mobile phone type whip at the top of the windscreen. Otherwise see if you can modify the Commo boot mount to fit in the roof rack fitting hole?

Old 26-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
kuans

BlackLS,

I recently bought a electronic rust inhibitor and the instructions require me to wire up the pads from inside the car cabin through the firewall and to the battery.

I wish to insert a wire through the grommet and eventually through the firewall. I got a few questionsto ask ya...

Can I 'feel' my way to the grommet without removing the battery box? If you have previously in the past, removed the battery box, I would appreciate your pictures taken so that I can have a look at the grommet area before 'feeling' my way in. =p

=)
kuans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with BlackLS, if you don't need maximum range, the glass mount UHF antennas are a very good solution.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuans
BlackLS,

I recently bought a electronic rust inhibitor and the instructions require me to wire up the pads from inside the car cabin through the firewall and to the battery.

I wish to insert a wire through the grommet and eventually through the firewall. I got a few questionsto ask ya...

Can I 'feel' my way to the grommet without removing the battery box? If you have previously in the past, removed the battery box, I would appreciate your pictures taken so that I can have a look at the grommet area before 'feeling' my way in. =p

=)
kuans

You just need to remove the top of the battery box, as well as the top of the engine cover, to give a better view of the area.

On a side note I'd question the effectiveness of the rust inhibitor. Unless you live near a highly wet or salty area, or you plan to keep the car for 30 years you shouldn't need it.

Old 30-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
kuans

Thanks BlackLS, will give it a try! =)

Yes I do live by the coast and I’ve had 1 warranty claim at the beginning of the year for rust developing along the inside of the sill drainage area where the tailgate hinges on. And because water tends to pond in that area (chronic design issue with all hatches), hatch owners (who live by the coast) should frequently check this area for rust whenever they wash their cars.

I reckon there could be other areas where it’s also susceptible to rust and where I’m not able to visually detect. So in this regard, getting the electronic rust inhibitor would be cheap insurance.

=)
Old 30-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
BlackLS
yum

Fair enough. Does the inhibitor come with a low voltage shutoff?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
kuans

http://www.megapulse.com.au/FAR/index.php
Thats the inhibitor I got. Its low voltage shutoff is below 11v.

Cheers,