Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #31
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Today is five years since the announcement that shook Australia and destroyed an industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Adding to this, over the weekend i saw 3 Falcons (BA-FG) with their roof lining at the rear falling apart. I have only ever seen this on Falcons and Commodores. Feature? Shading from that unique Australian sun

If they were built for Australian conditions I'd hate to see if they weren't.
I had a camry 3 litre manual- ceiling lining fell off, lining on rear doors wore and started peeling off, new camshaft belt every 100,000, rear suspension bushes needed total rebuild after about 115,000.

Got Honda Euro new, at about 75,000 km the computer LED on dash started playing up, then got a very loud dah dah dah knocking noise in hot weather that I suspect was something connected with steering and sounded expensive, I drove that thing hard- for sure- and the gearbox at about 90,000 synchromesh into 3rd was going.

Got 55,000 on my FGX and some very very hard kms- and aside from the boot spoiler led falling down- there have been no issues yet touch wood. Feels very strong in engine and gearbox.

Agree with cultural cringe- funny really-we think a lot of Asian stuff is crap and handmade Australia stuff is great- ie leather couches -or cutting edge Australian surgeons- but Australian cars made by Australians even with handbuilt engines- no good as it has no 3 pointed star or Olympic rings-despite the dubious morality of a certain german manufacturer

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #32
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Today is five years since the announcement that shook Australia and destroyed an industry.

Quote:
Difference with AU is that we have a consolidation of many of the changing conditions seen across the globe; heat, humidity, snow, desert, etc.
Though it is NOT unique at all.
The problem we have is UV and it is unique to Australia.

Most readily seen in skin cancer rates.

That being said FoA wasn't exactly liberal with its paint in latter years.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #33
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
The problem we have is UV and it is unique to Australia.

Most readily seen in skin cancer rates.

That being said FoA wasn't exactly liberal with its paint in latter years.
Its not unique its actually worse in NZ

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #34
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzman View Post
Its not unique its actually worse in NZ
Beat me to it.

https://www.niwa.co.nz/sites/niwa.co...ts/Liley_2.pdf
Old 29-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #35
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah its a southern hemisphere thing. hole in the Ozone thinner atmosphere etc.
and from my own experience you can get sunburn on a 20 deg day in Auckland with seemingly cloudy skies.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #36
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post

I still admire my own humble FG, in that after nearly 4 years and 116,000Kms of ownership since new, it still does not have a single rattle or squeak in the body, suspension or cabin interior and that's after driving many country miles.

The same cannot be said by friends who have expensive Euros or Korean cars.
I have had a different experience.

I had one of the early G6E. From a quality control perspective, it was one of the worst vehicles I have ever leased. During the two year lease, the vehicle was back at the dealer every second month either with a new problem or trying to resolve an existing problem. Loose universal joint in the steering shaft, incorrect installed bolts on the power steering box rubbing tyres, leaking fuel tank, electrical gremlins, etc, etc. Sure, by the time the lease had ended, I had all of the issues sorted and it was a great vehicle to drive. However, I don’t have the time to be trudging back and forward to the dealer just to get fobbed off, and I suspect most others don’t either. My experience with FoA was so bad that I swore off Fords (only to relent to get a Territory). Whereas the Japanese vehicles I have had since (Forrester, Outland PHEV, and now a CX-5) have nary a squeak, rattle, or quality control issue, and the various service departments have been a pleasure to go to. Work colleagues with Commodores at the time had a similar list of complaints about poor quality of their vehicles (oil leaks and electrical gremlins from memory).

Yes, it is a shame that Australia does not have an automobile manufacturing base. But it doesn’t meant that vehicle manufacturing is dead. The trucking industry is alive and well, and shows what can be achieved. https://www.fullyloaded.com.au/indus...voorhoeve-says
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #37
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Yes, it is a shame that Australia does not have an automobile manufacturing base. But it doesn’t meant that vehicle manufacturing is dead. The trucking industry is alive and well, and shows what can be achieved. https://www.fullyloaded.com.au/indus...voorhoeve-says
I don't know of any Gov subsidies to Volvo/Mack or KW either.
Old 29-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #38
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I don't know of any Gov subsidies to Volvo/Mack or KW either.
You can bet they benefited indirectly though.
Old 29-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #39
Danny
GT4.

Look, face it, the only people shook by the announcement were the die hards who blindly (some would say ignorantly) considered the falcon as the be all and end all, over ANYTHING else on the market. The sort of people who (if given the choice of a free vehicle) would take an FG XR6 non turbo over let’s say a Mercedes Benz E63s or BMW M5 or even a 911 Turbo and truly think it was better.

By the time the announcement was made, the Falcon was a s**t car, with no redeeming features at all. Most people either didn’t know, or didn’t care. I certainly wasn’t surprised at all (and I didn’t really care either apart from feeling for the poor souls whom lost their livelihoods). Apart from the Utes which actually had a purpose, I don’t see how or why anyone would have bought a Falcon in its last few years. That’s the cold hard truth of it.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #40
antisocial
Starter Motor

Quote:
Adding to this, over the weekend i saw 3 Falcons (BA-FG) with their roof lining at the rear falling apart. I have only ever seen this on Falcons and Commodores. Feature? Shading from that unique Australian sun

If they were built for Australian conditions I'd hate to see if they weren't.
Most cars with foam under the fabric headlining do this, I've seen mates Toyota's, Saabs, Landrover's and others.
antisocial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #41
bretts351