Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #31
AdzT3-146
own the road

in the paper yesterday brand new BF MKII SR with all the extras , $26,888 drive away.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #32
Blue Blood runs thick

Paid $25 Driveaway for demo 08 BF MKII SR dedicated gas about 6 weeks ago.
18138 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #33
BF Tonner
Starter Motor

Yer i paid $27 500 driveaway for my 08 bf cab chassis on gas a couple of months back, would be lucky to get $20k for it now...
BF Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #34
damir05
turbomaniac

i just got ba xt mk2 april 2005 with 55000kms for 8 600 on pickles
damir05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #35
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Today's Herald Sun cars guide have new VE 60th anniver. Commodores for $29990 drive away.......No wonder the used car market is stuffed.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #36
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah, what a great idea! Lets pay interest on a rapidly depreciating asset!

Ususally, cars lose half their value every three years or so, throughout their life.

IE $30k new, $15k 3yrs old, $7.5k 6yrs old, $3.75k 9yrs old, $1.875k 12yrs old etc etc etc
Old 05-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #37
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Yeah, what a great idea! Lets pay interest on a rapidly depreciating asset!
while i've rarely done it, a lot of people have no choice but to do this. Some people even have to borrow to buy a $3000 car. That's just the way it is.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #38
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whales
Today's Herald Sun cars guide have new VE 60th anniver. Commodores for $29990 drive away.......No wonder the used car market is stuffed.
It's great if you're a buyer.

Forces down the price of a pre-owned vehicle big-time!
As somebody looking to purchase sometime, I'm licking my chops!

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #39
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackersINC
while i've rarely done it, a lot of people have no choice but to do this. Some people even have to borrow to buy a $3000 car. That's just the way it is.
Yeah, you're right crackers. I feel very sorry for people who do that.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #40
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

Ususally, cars lose half their value every three years or so, throughout their life.
gee... i didn't know that. thanks captain obvious. :

as far as this thread goes we're talking about spending, it's not about investing, so please don't come here to give a lesson on financials.

but if you want to continue with your angle, why buy a new car at all then if that's the way you think. even if you pay cash for it, it's still going to depreciate in value isn't it?
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #41
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My options would be endless if I was going to buy another car now, but I want a house more and already have a decent car. Some very good bargains to be had!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #42
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

picked up a BF SR (spoiler, partial leather, sports susp, 17's etc) with 102,000k - $11990. 2 yr warranty, car yard. There are a few places around that specialize in reasonably new falcons.

Picked up a 2003 BA with 190k for $5990 two months ago
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #43
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I am looking to buy a couple of new cars and as large cars seem to be good value I was looking at BAs. I found a nice Ghia with 40k on it for $15k and nearly grabbed it until I wandered into the Nambour Ford shop.

2007 BF2 XT for $16k, Futura for $17k and XR6 for $21k all with 25-40km. Wot tha?

Obviiously they are ex rentals or whatever but how crap is the resale on B series?

At those prices I think I will give the Z a holiday and drive a BF2 for a while.
President Ford has brand new 2008 BF XT SR Pac, alloys, spoiler and a couple of other SR extra's $26,990 drive-away.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #44
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

check out carsales.com.au 08 plated demo XT's 6500kms $20k driveaway.

Qld dealer - Denmac @ darra

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 11:11 PM   #45
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's gotta be some breakpoint below which prices just can't go.....If you can get into a brand new XT for mid 20's on the road you'll have a situation where people just won't buy new cars...If new prices come down in sympathy, which they seem to be doing to a point, then there's gotta be a flow on effect to build quality (already at a low ebb) so margins stay sufficient for dealers to want to remain in business.

I remember there was a similar problem in 1990/91...stockpiles of EA's that just couldn't be sold...advertised for $20g on the road....Things all corrected themselves in the end when people started spending again after Keatings "had to have" recession was over
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 11:34 PM   #46
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

My BF XR8 with premo sound, leather, alloy spare, DVD, electronic rust control (from day 1) ipod input etc, etc, etc, is on the market for 26K. No nibbles. Simple lesson learned is. NEVER buy another new ford!! Simple.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #47
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
My BF XR8 with premo sound, leather, alloy spare, DVD, electronic rust control (from day 1) ipod input etc, etc, etc, is on the market for 26K. No nibbles. Simple lesson learned is. NEVER buy another new ford!! Simple.

This time last year when I was looking you couldn't get a good BF2 XR8 for much under $40k...Good luck mate...maybe worth keeping it
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #48
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unco
gee... i didn't know that. thanks captain obvious. :

as far as this thread goes we're talking about spending, it's not about investing, so please don't come here to give a lesson on financials.

but if you want to continue with your angle, why buy a new car at all then if that's the way you think. even if you pay cash for it, it's still going to depreciate in value isn't it?
Go easy on Captain Hardware.
That statement was part of their argument.
Whether you agree or not, at least respect the fact that they're trying to contribute positively, rather than posting posting things in The Bar that have already been posted 30 times already.

I think Mr Hardware's post was a fair point.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #49
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Whether you agree or not, at least respect the fact that they're trying to contribute positively, rather than posting posting things in The Bar that have already been posted 30 times already.

well said
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 01:24 AM   #50
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

ok, i just don't see how his post has contributed to this thread. sounds more like a case of sour grapes to me.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 01:29 AM   #51
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unco
ok, i just don't see how his post has contributed to this thread. sounds more like a case of sour grapes to me.
He was simply stating how it doesn't make sense to finance a vehicle when on top of paying interest, you're losing massive amounts of value on that car. It's almost loss-loss. Merely an observation.

I agree that perhaps the view that some people have no choice was not taken into account in this their post, but still, it is better than an "I Agree" reply or something totally pointless (refer to 25% of my posts, you'll get an idea of pointless )

I don't see it as sour grapes personally, but your interpretation is your own.

That's cool

Bad time to sell a Ford though. That is something we can all agree on (Sherlock Award for me...yay!)

Don't snap my undies.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #52
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Stick to the topic guy's or I will remove the posts that want to debate another subject.
For comments that are off topic use a PM..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #53
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i couldnt give a toss about depreciation, i am an enthusiest and buy a car because i love it an intend to keep it for years and years.

but for people who just buy a car to have a car, and update every 3 years, it would indeed suck balls the amount of coin you lose
Old 06-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #54
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

It's more than ever a buyers market now!! I'd love to get my hands on a runout BFII FPV, there's some killer deals going at the moment. The catch is my '03 BA XR6 is basically worthless now and would only get a kick in the nuts for a trade in.

Although I'm suffering from car-boredom-itis something chronic at the moment I'll keep the XR6, drive it 'till it's completely knackered then chuck it away. Now that interest rates are falling fast it's a great opportunity to knock a hole in the mortgage so for me at the moment buying a new car is not a good way to go.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #55
Broomexr6
Starter Motor

Can buy a 07 plated new SR for 21k drive away up here. I received my XR on the employee incentive scheme so cost me 30k new back in march. Have been guaranteed 20k trade in on the FGXR6T when i receive it in feb/march next year. Current price quoted for it drive away is 35k but am looking at closer to 30k. Only issue is having to keep the car for a min of 12 months. Sucks a little seeing as i usually try and change over cars ever 6 months
Broomexr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #56
Turbotory
SYTTG

I didnt realise how bad the 2nd hand market was until recently. Ive been trying to sell off an old celica and cant get a decent offer to save myself! All I get is morons texting me in the middle of the night with insulting offers... pretty sad if your trying to sell!
Turbotory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #57
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

If they guaranteed unleaded petrol to stay under $1.00 you'd have to be snapping up some lovely BA/BF XR8 Model Falcon, or Fairmont Ghia. Ah, if only............
Old 06-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #58
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbotory
I didnt realise how bad the 2nd hand market was until recently. Ive been trying to sell off an old celica and cant get a decent offer to save myself! All I get is morons texting me in the middle of the night with insulting offers... pretty sad if your trying to sell!
Dont take low offers personally, contacting people late is poor form but more than ever expect low offers on anything for sale. I have just taken a block of land off the market, being offered 50-70k under what I wanted. I understand your frustration.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #59
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

I bought my Manual BA GT a couple of weeks ago for 25 grand. Theres a few on Carsales.com at the moment starting at 26 grand !
samsy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #60
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsy351
I bought my Manual BA GT a couple of weeks ago for 25 grand. Theres a few on Carsales.com at the moment starting at 26 grand !
There was a manual GT-P for 20k on eBay and it did not get 1 bid.

A friend of mine tried selling his citric acid GT-P and the highest bids only reached 16k.

16k isn't cheap for a BF2 XT either, but I've seen BA prices really drop this year, which is good for the buyer. Some say the AU model was to blame for the poor resale for the B series.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)