Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #181
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by whingey
I see your point, we do sound like a bunch of whining Poms. Nevertheless, regardless of their annoying personalities, I don't think these guys have the automotive knowledge needed to host a show of this caliber. If they do they haven't shown any of it.
I actually think Charlie & Steve do have the Automotive knowledge...Charlie has a seasoned automotive career, Steve is an advanced driving instructor. I get the feeling SBS may be a bit nervous letting them go around to there own devices yet..I'm guessing they're being cautious.
If we had people that knew a lot about cars but had the screen personality of a plank of wood, everyone would be whining again...I think finding a happy medium is quite difficult.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #182
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These blokes are saying the F6 was "laggy".
I simply can not relate to that.
The thing is anything but laggy.
It has traction issues which prevents it from getting it's power to the ground.
But it sure as hell aint "laggy".
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #183
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

two comments:

Firstly - they should select a focus group from fordxr6forum and Ls1.com.au and maybe some others to get a good idea of what they should be doing - I bet the producer drives a pergot 206 gti and thinks it's fantastic - it's the guys behind the scenes that goof it up.

Secondly - someone earlier mentioned that they guys from Fat Pizza should do the show. Now thats a damn good Idea!!!!!!! A leb, a Aussie, (maybe an Asian and maybe a Kiwi (just so they can gang up and tell sheep jokes). They could still be serious about cars but atleast it would have character. Could call it "No Gear" (and have naked chicks) ;))

Only problem is that sbs used to do these cool weird shows so You would probably have to go to TVS or a commercial channel (no chance) - maybe an internet based show for starters.

-btw I copyrighted the no gear Idea ;)
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #184
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its only the second episode ffs, give the show a chance...

Someone has already said it in this thread(sorry cant remember who) if anyone has watched the early seasons of topgear? they werent any better, and has taken quite a few series to get its groove and become the slick show it is today.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #185
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
just had a quick browse through ls1.com.au and seems their gripes are largely the same as the ford community.
There must be a different thread over there to the piece of rubbish I read.

An analytical break down of the video footage (that was spliced mind you) to conclude that the R8 actually won the drag race.

Talk about desperation to cling to validation.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #186
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I only saw ep 2 but my issues are -
1. Why does it need to be a clone of the UK show?
2. whats with the hosts? They try too hard?

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #187
OJ_Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you are ALL taking it way too seriously... its just a tv show, and an SBS one
at that!

MMR Built short motor, all the good gear.
Kenne Bell 2.6 intercooled kit from BPR
Tuned by Xtreme Ford Tuning - 400rwkw
Build thread here
OJ_Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #188
BlackLS
yum

What did you expect for free? I think they're doing a good job in the scheme of things.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #189
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
What did you expect for free? I think they're doing a good job in the scheme of things.
What he said.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #190
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

I really appreciated the idea and had high anticipations for the first ep.........but cant be motivated to watch another episode. I only watched the second one after seeing they had FPV v HSV.

In the wash up they might be smart enough to take on the feedback but it may be to late already looking at the massive drop in viewer figures even from ep 1 to ep2
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #191
monkeykplunk
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
All of Season 1 has already been filmed (or nearly all of it), so I doubt our Forum comments will have any effect.

All the footage for the tests have been filmed already, but that still doesn't mean they don't have control over the editing week to week.
If they read reviews on how people thought they should show more track time and better camera angles, then you get the lackeys to go back and re-edit before airing.

I thought this ep was better then the first. I still hate the main presenter though. The way he talks with his hands and cuts people off in weird ways annoys the out of me.
And whats with the wierd pauses when people stop talking???
FFS get some personality son!

Why have a bloody catoonist as your third though?
He has no real personality either, doesn't exactly look good on camera, and knows next to nothing about what people want to hear about with cars.
Even James May knew more when he started then this bloke does now!
monkeykplunk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #192
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
These blokes are saying the F6 was "laggy".
I simply can not relate to that.
The thing is anything but laggy.
It has traction issues which prevents it from getting it's power to the ground.
But it sure as hell aint "laggy".
I've test driven an FG F6 and a G6ET and they lag. Just like the video footage on Top Gear, the turbos take a while to get going (need to be spooled up on the brakes in the ZF to get any decent launch).

I've seen your video in the other thread and I have to say I can see (and hear) where it takes a while to get going (your 0 - 30kph is relatively slow) and then takes off, shift gear - takes a while then goes.

I'm not saying the F6 is a slow vehicle because its not. It just has a non linear power delivery as clearly shown in the Top Gear segment.
BionicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #193
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good so far,

I still don't now how they got access to KCGM to film that mine segment.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #194
stewyc
Stewart

I'm happy to have the extra motoring show on tele and do believe that Charlie and the bearded boy (forgot his name) do have the expertise to do the show. I can't stand the cartoonist guy as he is lame. His jokes aren't even funny. As some of you have already mentioned the guys will hopefully get more comfortable as the show goes on. I just wish they used their own personalities rather than trying to copy the UK guys. Charlie Cox can be guilty of a Clarkson cloning every now and then.

Hope they do well but get the Aussie slant on it rather than copying the poms.

Now have a Mazda 6 Diesel, isn't that sad!!!!!
stewyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #195
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewyc
I'm happy to have the extra motoring show on tele and do believe that Charlie and the bearded boy (forgot his name) do have the expertise to do the show. I can't stand the cartoonist guy as he is lame. His jokes aren't even funny. As some of you have already mentioned the guys will hopefully get more comfortable as the show goes on. I just wish they used their own personalities rather than trying to copy the UK guys. Charlie Cox can be guilty of a Clarkson cloning every now and then.

Hope they do well but get the Aussie slant on it rather than copying the poms.
I hate the concept and delivery of this show but must admit, Warren Brown is exceptionally knowledgeable with cars. A friend of mine is an alfa nut, complete with race car. After one of their races they had a dinner, and Warren was emcee. Anyway to cut a long story short, they kept him there for about 5 hours after his official duties were over, as he apparently impressed over 100 drivers/teams with his knowledge and stories about motoring. Now this Alfa group isn't a bunch of 20 year olds, it covers a much bigger demographic, so I don't think there was any bias.
Time will tell if Warren gets to impart of his wisdom, or if he is forced to just follow the James May guide to being on TV.

Quote: