Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
ianw100
Starter Motor

Default AU3 tailgate lock jammed - how to open it?

Hi guys,
We have an AU3 wagon and for the last couple of weeks the tailgate actuator has "ratcheted" for about 3 seconds each time it is unlocked, either from the dash switch or the Remote. Then 2 days ago it stopped ratcheting and just clicked, BUT it doesn't unlock. The key lock in the tailgate doesn't unlock it either, so my question is, how do we get the tailgate open? Once open we'll extract the actuator and check it out, but after studying the forum I cannot find how to get the tailgate open. Hope someone can assist with this - look forward to your reply!
Cheers,
Ian

ianw100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
seduced_xr
BF XR6

im not sure about the wagons but some people have had issues with EF and AU sedans where theyve had to cut a peice off the boot and get at the mechanism that way.. i think that one was on an EF sedan, i think with the wagons u can pull the plastic off the inside of the tail gate and get at it that way. ive only ever had to get at an AU with keys locked in the boot and an LPG tank behind the rear seat.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

As has been said ^^^, you should be able to pull the carpeted panel off the inside of the tailgate and fold it down to get to the locking assembly. You'll probably have to remove the pull down strap to make it a bit easier as well...of course, you'll be in a spot of bother if you have a cargo barrier, but you might be able to remove enough bolts after folding down the rear seats.
Good luck.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...71#post6891271

2006 Lightning Strike BF Fairlane Ghia...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Linz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If you have a full length factory cargo barrier you're up creek and you'll need to get bolt cutters to cut your way through the barrier but once in you pop off the carpeted panel (after removing the grab strap) from the bottom up and lift it straight up ond off of the tailgate as it's got a lip that hooks over the top of the tailgate frame, just like a door card has for the door, then you should be able to get to the lock. I had a similar locking problem with my wagon but luckily it opened spontaniously just as I was about to start attacking it with the bolt cutters cos I have the factory barrier. If I remember correctly the problem turned out to be the little hook plate that actuates and moves away from the rotating latch, releasing the latch, when you activate the lock. It was jambing and not moving back far enough to release the door. I helped the actuator hook back and forth while using the remote/servo motor to losten the crud from around it then blew it out with compressed air and lubed it with some CRC/RP40 etc. and it's been fine ever since.
Before you get too carried away, first try pushing on the door while you activate ther lock . That should release the pressure on the lock and hopefully help it release. Once open, thoroughly check all the way round the door seal for anything that would interfere with the smooth closing of the door. It doesn't take much to cause a problem, even just the seal itself not sitting quite snug on it's rail will cause a pressure spot that can either stop the door from latching or once latched, allow it to release easily. Have you ever had to slam the tailgate shut 2-3-4 times to get it to lock? That's because there's an interference around the seal somewhere. The gate should lock when released from no more than 40-50cm from closed under it's own weight; if it doesn't there's a problem.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 12-04-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianw100
Hi guys,
We have an AU3 wagon and for the last couple of weeks the tailgate actuator has "ratcheted" for about 3 seconds each time it is unlocked, either from the dash switch or the Remote. Then 2 days ago it stopped ratcheting and just clicked, BUT it doesn't unlock. The key lock in the tailgate doesn't unlock it either, so my question is, how do we get the tailgate open? Once open we'll extract the actuator and check it out, but after studying the forum I cannot find how to get the tailgate open. Hope someone can assist with this - look forward to your reply!
Cheers,
Ian
How did you get on with this Ian?

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...71#post6891271

2006 Lightning Strike BF Fairlane Ghia...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Linz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
ianw100
Starter Motor

Apologies for delayed response, my Mum was very ill and passed away 2 weeks ago. thanks to advice on the forum I found if you climb into the cargo area you can remove the top of the tailgate trim and thus access the mechanism and hence unlock the tailgate. Then you can remove the actuator but reconnect the linkages so you can still use the key to unlock it. Now that things have quietened down a bit for me I'll adress replacing the actuator; actually some teeth on a small gear have stripped but I'll bet one cannot buy just the gear!
Thanks for the advice, really really useful.
ianw100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

my condolences to you and your family Ian......