Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Dealer fitted different tyres what should I do

Wife had the XR6 in today to get new tyres they had Dunlop sp 3000 235/45/17 for $192 each.Made a booking Monday for 4 tyres and a 4 wheel alignment to be done today.

When she went to pick it up they only had 2 Dunlops and had put on 4 GT Champiro HPY tyres.We were not advised about this it was 4pm when she picked it up.

We have been happy with the work done previously but this time are a bit shocked different tyres and one wheel has an obvious semicircle scratched into it.

The original quoted price for the Dunlops with a 4 wheel alignment was $828 the price for the GT tyres was $795 and it was only a front wheel alignment we wanted a 4 wheel alignment as we had our diff bushes replaced last week.

Does anyone know anything about these GT champiro HPY tyres?There does not seem to be much on the web about them.

How would you approach this I have never heard of someone getting a different brand tyre without being asked first.

Last edited by paule11; 01-02-2020 at 02:40 PM.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dealer fitted different tyres what should I do

Take it it back and advise them to complete the job as requested.

No way I'd be accepting that.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11
Wife had the XR6 in today to get new tyres they had Dunlop sp 3000 235/45/17 for $192 each.Made a booking Monday for 4 tyres and a 4 wheel alignment to be done today.

When she went to pick it up they only had 2 Dunlops and had put on 4 GT Champiro HPY tyres.We were not advised about this it was 4pm when she picked it up.

We have been happy with the work done previously but this time are a bit shocked different tyres and one wheel has an obvious semicircle scratched into it.

The original quoted price for the Dunlops with a 4 wheel alignment was $828 the price for the GT tyres was $795 and it was only a front wheel alignment we wanted a 4 wheel alignment as we had our diff bushes replaced last week.

Does anyone know anything about these GT champiro HPY tyres?There does not seem to be much on the web about them.

How would you approach this I have never heard of someone getting a different brand tyre without being asked first.
I had them and was happy with them. I was suprised when they did 60,000km before needing replacing.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

had them on my MPS6 and they are freaking awesome tyres.

they would smash the craplops for 6 in regards, i would personally have them anyday over the dunflops.

as for not doing the wheel alignment properly thats an issue, and it should be fixed. albiet at the dealer it will be "yep bring it back and we will do that no prob.... 20 minutes of sitting out the back later.... yep all done mate!"

and they should give you a new alloy for borking up the change and scratching the wheel.

be aware tho most dealers DO NOT do tyres, they farm it out to some mong up the road at the lowest possible cost. moral of the story, stay away from stealerships.

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm so they are a better tyre annoying that they dont tell you . Will have to talk to the dealership
Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Tyre situation.....They should have asked before fitting them....If you don't want them, go back to the dealer and get what you asked for.

Alignment...Go back to the dealer and get the job done properly..

Damaged wheel...Looks like it has hit a gutter....Might be a bit hard to get the dealer to accept responsibility for that. There is a good chance they will claim they didn't do it, especially considering you have the car in your possession now. So you might have to cop that on the chin....(No offense intended).

When ever you have work done on the wheels, check before leaving...If there is damage done to a wheel at a particular place, the inside of the scratch/gouge will be clean...if the car has done a few kays, it will have dirt imbedded in it.

Working in a tyre joint, the above statement is what we do, when ever there is a complaint about damaged wheels. Reason being, there are people out there that try and blame a fitter for damaging wheels, when in fact, the owner has done it themselves. So by checking for imbedded dirt, it helps prove who is responsible...IMA, I am not insinuating you are one of these people....just looking at it the way they will look at it. So good luck

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

M8 they are great tyres however you were under the impression you were getting Dunlops and i can tell you that the Champiro's are way cheaper than the OEM.
I'd take it back or get them to reemburse you some money.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wife went back service manage was surprised as he had ordered Dunlops in . One tyre was missing for some reason , they are putting Dunlops on the car Monday and providing a courtesy car. The gutter rash was there before on the rim but the semi circle wasnt had a look with a magnifiying loupe and its shiny in places no oxidizing or dirt .
Old 04-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Wife went back service manage was surprised as he had ordered Dunlops in . One tyre was missing for some reason , they are putting Dunlops on the car Monday and providing a courtesy car. The gutter rash was there before on the rim but the semi circle wasnt had a look with a magnifiying loupe and its shiny in places no oxidizing or dirt .
i would have done this before posting on a public forum.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

i would have kept the HPYs.

they dunlops bring new meaning to average.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
if you can't ask on a car forum where can you ask?

Quote:

OP sounds like a polite guy IMO

Forum (and the world) would be a better place if everyone was more like this

I know I'm not :(
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had to ask somewhere had never heard of these tyres before seem comfortable but dont seem to corner as welll as the Falkens we had on before . Dunlops handled better than then the Falkens
We have been happy with the work done by the dealer.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Asking round this forum, people would have you believe not to scrimp on tyres....Banglops would have to be one of the more expensive brands.....Makes it extremely difficult to make a definative decision on what to buy when people say they're crap.

GT radials have been around for a fair while....As a rule of thumb, if a brand has been around for a while, they must be alright, otherwise they'll fold. (The tyre market is very competative).

The Op does appear happy with the dealer, and the dealer appears to be doing their best to rectify one of the issues.....Now that's an unusual situation of late, so I'd be sticking with them.

Keep us updated

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter

GT radials have been around for a fair while....As a rule of thumb, if a brand has been around for a while, they must be alright, otherwise they'll fold. (The tyre market is very competative).
triangle.... mayrun... achillies... hercules... all utter ***** and still with us after way too long.

swear the above are all made from recycled condoms or something.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceValk85
triangle.... mayrun... achillies... hercules... all utter ***** and still with us after way too long.

swear the above are all made from recycled condoms or something.

Seen people on here raving about Diamond backs being rippers....Diamond backs are Triangles , which started life as Olympic Sprinters (just a different tread pattern)...Just been through about 4 different name changes. (Some of these names still exist too).

Hercules.....I have people come into ranting and raving how terrific they are as 4X4 tyres....

Achillies...People have spoken highly of them on here...Some have said their crap too.

In the long, the majority vote on tyres through members on here rule...So pointless saying squat about tyres, as the minority will be wrong.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car went back today Dunlops fitted .Festiva for a loan car wife was very happy till she hit 80kph and the vibration started.Have to get back in contact again. The Dunlops definately are a sportier ride the champiros have a greater tread depth I thought about measuring them but didnt.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Good luck..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #18
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Car went back today Dunlops fitted .Festiva for a loan car wife was very happy till she hit 80kph and the vibration started.Have to get back in contact again. The Dunlops definately are a sportier ride the champiros have a greater tread depth I thought about measuring them but didnt.

sounds like they havent been aligned and balanced properly. or they are out of round. which i wouldnt be surprised for dunlops lol.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #19
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Glad that you got the correct choice of tyres sorted out.
Bad idea for the dealer to change the game without telling you.

I would be surprised if the dealer themselves are fitting the tyres (as Ice mentioned)....
More likely they have taken the car to the nearest tyre place for the work.
Maybe find out who/where and speak directly with the bloke who set the
car up and did the alignment.

I'd suggest next time going direct to the tyre place.... That's their specialty.

Last edited by EB#; 07-08-2012 at 08:26 AM.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
prydey
Rob

my local dealer can fit and balance tyres. not all of them have to farm them out.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #21
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Isn't this what the forum is for? Asking for advice on what to do in certain situations?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #22
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
Isn't this what the forum is for? Asking for advice on what to do in certain situations?
if you have an issue with a person, company or retail outlet etc, it is always best practice to sort the issue out with them first.

airing it on a public forum doesn't help anybody. 9 times out of 10, the issue will be resolved without any fuss.

if you want some more advice or to recount your experience afterward, then go your hardest.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #23
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if you have an issue with a person, company or retail outlet etc, it is always best practice to sort the issue out with them first.

airing it on a public forum doesn't help anybody. 9 times out of 10, the issue will be resolved without any fuss.

if you want some more advice or to recount your experience afterward, then go your hardest.
Posting is not just about solving your own issue some people just want others to be aware. I for one found this interesting to read.
Bottom line is the dealer put cheaper tyres on, in most cases they would get away with it. Either by being not noticed or people wouldn’t care
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
More likely they have taken the car to the nearest tyre place for the work.
Maybe find out who/where and speak directly with the bloke who set the
car up and did the alignment.

Good idea, but having a vibration issue has zilch to do with it being an alignment issue.

Granted, some dealerships farm out the tyre/alignment work....Some do it in house....if I was in the Op's situation, speak to the dealership (which he appears to have done) and the dealership should handle it (which it appears they have).

Sidenote...if a dealership farms out this sort of work and they get too many complaints of this nature, they will drop the place they are dealing with and find another one. The market is very competative and tyre shops can't afford to loose car dealerships' work. It makes it too difficult to survive.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #25
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceValk85
sounds like they havent been aligned and balanced properly. or they are out of round. which i wouldnt be surprised for dunlops lol.
Alignment feels good may be a tyre out of balance. They are going to pick it up and then return it after fixing it (Thats good service). The GTs didnt vibrate at all so may be out of round will find out when they fix it.

We were going to a tyre place for Maxxis MAZ1 but we had some other work that the dealer needed to do so went with the tyres being installed by the dealer to save making 2 trips to get work done.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #26
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you are getting looked after there Paule11....
Good to hear.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #27
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All sorted Dealer took car yesterday returned it later in the day drives beautiful now