Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Default Jacking car

I drive an AUII Forte and I just bought a trolley jack and jack stands because I want to start doing minor services myself. I'm learning about cars, so bear with me.

When jacking with the trolley jack where abouts do you raise it from? Will it work on the jack point rails on the side of the car. Or will the trolley jack bend the rail? Or is there a point where you can jack it from the front of the car?

Also where is it safe to place the jack stands?

Cheers

GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

On the sides in the usaul spots is fine, as long as your catching the double metal bit.

Front you can use the crossmember, and place the jack stands in the little grooves that are there.
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Thanks for the reply. But I am not quite sure where to exactly place the jack stands. I dont want to cause any damage. Here are a few pictures I took. If you could circle in paint where I place the stands that would be great. If the groove isnt in the pictures could someone please take a photo of the required position where to place the stands.

http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mage377jv0.jpg
http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mage378bu4.jpg

Cheers
GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Windsor220
Now Fordless

You can jack up the front under the front crossmember and the back under the diff. I dont have a pic handy but you put the jack stands under the sides where the side skirt meets the body. Around 10 cm in from the front and rear(betwen the wheel arches) there will be raised sections(or have 2 grooves cut out) thats where you put the stands. Tough to explain without a pic.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

Yep, you can jack under the front alloy cross-member and under the diff on an XR8 with IRS. And with the money you save by doing your own services you can buy a new front cross-member when yours cracks, and new diff mounts when yours breaks, and get your tailshaft re-aligned and re-balanced because once the diff mount breaks the tailshaft will eventually bend due to misalignment and harmonic imbalance. You will probably have to do you own servicing for only about 3 years to save the money required for the above repairs.

Just jack under the car's correct jacking points and nothing will get harmed. You can place stands under the chassis rails at the front just near the jack points and same at the rear. At the rear you also can safely put stands under the lower trailing arms (as far to the rear as you can manage is best) if you have IRS. Naturally if you have a solid rear end you can jack under the diff and set your stands under the axle housings.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post