Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 24-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
PHoeNiX
The ORIGINAL!

Default T5 Bits

Hey guys,

I'm finally going and picking up a T5 for my car tonight, just wondering if someone could please post up pics of all of the components so that i know im not gettin ripped. Getting the gearbox, bell housing, clutch, pressure plate, drive plate and shifter.

Also, depending on the condition, i think the gearbox may need a reco. would anyone do that for a slab or equivelant? Will have to see how it is, what kind of condition as its gettin pulled from a wreck....but cant go too wrong for $250 hey....

so yeah...Pics please!!

Thanks guys. Brenton

Old 24-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

Reco for a slab? Good luck!!

Don't forget loom, clutch cable and pedal box (or pin)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Dezza
Parts bin special

This is one of my posts from before I did my T5 conversion. I took photos of all the parts I had.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...3&postcount=35

This was before I got my spigot bearing, clutch pin, clutch spring, and ECU (although you can just do the resistor mod if need be)

Also a suggestion, while the gearbox is out, it is the ideal opportunity to replace the rear main seal, and welsh plug.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
PHoeNiX
The ORIGINAL!

alright, heres my bits i got. Anyone with ideas as to what else im gonna need? any ideas how im gonna be able to tell what kind of condition the tranny is in? should i clean all the ****** off it or is it a waste of time?

thanks. brenton
Old 26-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
NZ
~~~

do you have a manual pedel box? You'll need a spigot bearinf gor the crank.

Everything else is there.

If it was me doing the conversion, I'd buy a new clutch to suit a 4litre and get the flywheel modified to take the 6 bolt pressure plate and have the face machined to eliminate and clutch shudder - although from the pics your flywheel is laying face down. The flywheel you have is an EA 3 bolt style - they run a slightly smaller clutch. The pressure plate looks like its done a fair amount of work from the stains on the sideface and it looks like theres a fair bot of wear looking at the lip it has on the ind. You could take the time to strengthen the pedle box to stop the clutch pin tearing off the box itself and also reinforce the firewall as just about every manual eseries has (or will have) had this problem during its life Highly recommended to do this if you decide to fit a sports clutch. Use the speedo gear from the auto in the manual box to keep your speedo reading correct.

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
PHoeNiX
The ORIGINAL!

i need a manual pedal box....****...aight....new clutch...machine and mod the fly...spigot bearing...new pressure plate?? and how would i mod a pedal box, and how much $$$ am i lookin at roughly do ya rekon??

cheers. brenton
Old 26-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
BoZZa17
Lovin the Manual.

yeah there is a pin that screws into the hole in the auto pedal box... this will last a while tho before needs to be strenghtened (generally firewall cracks before pedal box breaks)

i think they ~$100
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #8
BoZZa17
Lovin the Manual.

and not too sure what engine mods you have
but if its stockish id say u can get away the the 3bolt setup man...
if you have plans for head work ect then maybe go the eb2/6 bolt clutch
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2007, 01:03 AM   #9
PHoeNiX
The ORIGINAL!

Been a bit busy, but thanks for your replies.

Do I need a new fly or can i just use the 1 i have in the car now...auto obviously?

do i need a spigot bearing, clutch pin, clutch spring??? i have a malwood pin as Efgiar doesnt do dashout work.

im going to need to get a new clutch...might as well just get a new fly if i cant use the 1 have in the auto too....anything else?? and can anyone tell me, how will i know if the gearbox is forked? can i pull off 1 side and see? or do i relly need to know wtf im doing?

thanks again.
brenton
Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 AM   #10
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

haha, hmm.

let's start from the beginning.

If the gearbox needs a reco, don't put it in yet. save up some cash, get it repaired, then spend some more cash getting a new flywheel, clutch, clutch cable, etc.

These conversions do not come cheap. If you do them cheap, you will get mediocre results, and in the long run, the setup won't last very long.

In answer to your questions above, the flywheel in an auto is known as a flexplate, and NO you can't use it as it is entirely different to a manual flywheel. The mal wood pin will be fine, but you might wanna look for old_mate's thread about his pedal box breaking.

No, you can't open the gearbox yourself and look if it needs a reco. Only way to tell is to put it in a car and drive it. If it's rooted, you will need to remove it, etc, and your new clutch and all your hard work will be for nothing.

What you will need to do from here:

- Get a 6 bolt flywheel and a new Xtreme heavy duty clutch kit ($70 for flywheel and $350 for clutch kit)

- Get the flywheel machined ($30)

- Oil for the T5 ($30)

- Clutch cable ($60)

- Spigot bearing for the crank ($10)

With manual conversions, it really pays to do stuff properly, because a gearbox is not something you wanna be pulling in and out all the time.

Good luck with it.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #11
PHoeNiX
The ORIGINAL!

thanks for that. may be a little while longer off than i thought....just had to spend money on other stuff with g/f...bugger...

oh well...see how we go.

Brenton
Old 07-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
webby_191189
low wagooon

Will the auto tailshaft be the same as the T5 tailshaft? The auto and manual box's would be a different length wouldnt they?

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby_191189
Will the auto tailshaft be the same as the T5 tailshaft? The auto and manual box's would be a different length wouldnt they?
4speed & 5speed = very similar length shafts (i.e interchangeable
3speed=unique

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #14
PHoeNiX
The ORIGINAL!

how bout this for a clutch??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Falcon-eb-ed-...QQcmdZViewItem

id need a pressure plate, i think that's what's in it, as the teeth are forked in the 1 i have atm. would just then need a flywheel from a wrecker and get it machined, clutch cable and spigot bearing?? and of course a reco of the box yeah? urgh....1 big headache...
what do people think, stick with it or sell my parts and get body straightened out and cold air intake (intake hose to front bar)?

Cheers
Brenton

Thanks for the help thus far guys.