Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-03-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
volcom20
Ef Fairmont

Default Fitting EL headlights to an EF?

Well, as we know some EF headlights tend to turn yellowy, and look nothing but ugly (Like they have moss under the lens or something :P) Ford corrected the problem in the EL, so I was wondering if I could grab me some EL headlights and put them in the EF? Are they the exact same shape/mountings, or not?

volcom20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not sure about EL lights, but you can clean the EF lights easy enough with fine sandpaper and cut n polish.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
niko
likes falcon's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
fine sandpaper and cut n polish.
and plenty of water with that sand paper.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
big_waity
Windsor Man!

I'm pretty sure that you will find they don't fit. There is a thread here that I am too lasy to find that discusses how to clean them. Worth a look as it will save you some money.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My EL lights faded as well..? And turned yellow. Are you sure they fixed it in the EL?
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
BlackLS

ELs have the same problem mate, and they are different shape.

Sand and Cut and Polish or do an XR face conversion
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
Madhatter
EF Fairmont Ghia

EL's still have polycarbonate lenses, so the same problem should exist. Shape of the light is surposed to be different EF->EL, but the fairmont models seem to have a similar shape if you compare them.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
Dezza
Parts bin special

Fairmont/ Fairlane lights remained the same shape from EF to EL as well as XR. Lower spec EFs (GLi / Futura) have a longer light that comes to a point in the middle. Lower spec ELs have a more rounded light. So if you have an EF GLi or Futura, you can only use the EF GLi / Futura lights.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
efbeggza
03 BA Fairmont Ghia

I had the same prob.. I got brand new one for about 100 bux or something.. one of the first things I did.

New - 03 BA Fairmont Ghia i6 - Blue Pearl
efbeggza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #10
Tiga_EL
Banned

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=39880

That thread tells ya how to clean em.. Headlights are pretty pricey, youd be better to just sand em and polish em up..
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #11
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its also easier than replacing them
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #12
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcom20
Well, as we know some EF headlights tend to turn yellowy, and look nothing but ugly (Like they have moss under the lens or something :P) Ford corrected the problem in the EL, so I was wondering if I could grab me some EL headlights and put them in the EF? Are they the exact same shape/mountings, or not?
Not true, Ford was not responsible for this problem, Hella was the manufacturer of these (& most Ford) headlights so the onus really lies with them. ALL EF/L headlights from GLi-DL (LTD) were affected. The problem was never "corrected", the last of the production run (@1998) will eventually be effected by the same problem, it just hasn't shown up YET!! If you're referring to Fairmont headlights, then yes they will fit between EF-L but not the Futurama or GLi, same case, different lens. Reconditioned units are not that expensive really, (I have sold quite a few pairs to members here, among many many others over the years) but the Taiwanese stuff is rubbish (bad fit/looks cheap/too dear @300% markup). :
Old 10-03-2006, 09:47 AM   #13
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I bought brand new high series lights from Ford. Cost me about $500 for the pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 11:00 AM   #14
volcom20
Ef Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
Not true, Ford was not responsible for this problem, Hella was the manufacturer of these (& most Ford) headlights so the onus really lies with them. ALL EF/L headlights from GLi-DL (LTD) were affected. The problem was never "corrected", the last of the production run (@1998) will eventually be effected by the same problem, it just hasn't shown up YET!! If you're referring to Fairmont headlights, then yes they will fit between EF-L but not the Futurama or GLi, same case, different lens. Reconditioned units are not that expensive really, (I have sold quite a few pairs to members here, among many many others over the years) but the Taiwanese stuff is rubbish (bad fit/looks cheap/too dear @300% markup). :
Hrm, but my fathers EL Fairmont's headlights are still crystal clear, it was a 97' EL, and has done about 300,000km... But my mates EF Fairmont, it's only done 180,000km, and the lenses are all nice and yellow :/

Anyone care to explain why this would be? If they're exactly the same, and the EL has been out and about a lot more than the EF...

One thing I can think of is that my old man has those plastic guard things over his headlights/grill, maybe that has stopped the sundamage?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcom20
Hrm, but my fathers EL Fairmont's headlights are still crystal clear, it was a 97' EL, and has done about 300,000km... But my mates EF Fairmont, it's only done 180,000km, and the lenses are all nice and yellow :/

Anyone care to explain why this would be? If they're exactly the same, and the EL has been out and about a lot more than the EF...

One thing I can think of is that my old man has those plastic guard things over his headlights/grill, maybe that has stopped the sundamage?
You're correct, the headlight protectors have acted as a sunshield. It's not about klm's travelled, it's more about exposure to UV, hence the term "UV damage". Also you will find some EF/L's will only have 1 headlight affected, indicating that the unaffected headlight has been changed at some stage (accident etc), it's 1 of those questions I get asked frequently. :
Old 10-03-2006, 11:30 AM   #16
volcom20
Ef Fairmont

Ahh, thanks.

I was stating the KM to prove that the EL has be outside in the sun alot more than the EF :P I shall try sanding/polishing, sometihng about taking sand paper to a lense isn't appealing to me :P But I'll take your word for it.

Cheers.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #17
Jet-Star

lol "futurama"....I heard of a bloke doing reco headlights in dandenong Vic, but he charges like $120 EACH just to clean the light, he also claimed that his long 5 day process of chemical cleaning is the only way to remove the stain...Guess he was bullИИИИting me... *Grabs 1200gritt W&D*
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #18
F6T
Has V8 envy

Dok, had a quick look at your website. What do you mean by colour coded bezel in the ef/el headlights? Does this mean you could do me a set of headlights for my 96 xh ute that had say black surrounds (like the BA xr style headlights). I understand this is legal so long as the colour doesn't touch the reflective part of the lense.

I saw a similar style of headlight on ebay once but read somewhere that the guy selling them just opens up the headlight - paints it on - then reseals it. Then, when you turn your headlights on they make a burning smell or something.

What's the go?
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #19
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madxh96
Dok, had a quick look at your website. What do you mean by colour coded bezel in the ef/el headlights? Does this mean you could do me a set of headlights for my 96 xh ute that had say black surrounds (like the BA xr style headlights). I understand this is legal so long as the colour doesn't touch the reflective part of the lense.

I saw a similar style of headlight on ebay once but read somewhere that the guy selling them just opens up the headlight - paints it on - then reseals it. Then, when you turn your headlights on they make a burning smell or something.

What's the go?
Yeah have done the black bezels many times, mostly in AU & VX commies. I would just install an already painted pair (bezels) to save time if your local, if not, then maybe post a pair (headlights) to you, either way, it's easy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse06
lol "futurama"....I heard of a bloke doing reco headlights in dandenong Vic, but he charges like $120 EACH just to clean the light, he also claimed that his long 5 day process of chemical cleaning is the only way to remove the stain...Guess he was bullИИИИting me... *Grabs 1200gritt W&D*
Nice........that may have been me, "heresay" can be so misleading! @$120 each is a change-over price!!! The "5 days" is to allow the headlight to bleed out (it's actually only 3) because moisture is damn hard to remove when it's in the car, the chemical dip only takes @1-2 hours, but the headlight still needs to be disassembled to do a thorough job. Sanding & polishing only works for a while, I've been in this game for over 15 years now, & there's always someone who spruiks a "quick fix" but I still get most of my EF/L sales from people who have done this/tried that in the past, so I've heard it all (except maybe the baking soda), but I'm sure that's been tried also. :
Old 10-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #20
F6T
Has V8 envy

[QUOTE=The Dok]Yeah have done the black bezels many times, mostly in AU & VX commies. I would just install an already painted pair (bezels) to save time if your local, if not, then maybe post a pair (headlights) to you, either way, it's easy enough.

So how much for a new pair of headlights for the XH with the black bezels? also, are there any photos that I can see of them? very interested as one of my headlights is looking a bit crap now compared to the other.
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #21
daz82
In the family since 1996

There was also a bigger problem with non-genuine headlights. They fade quicker than the originals/genuine product
daz82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #22
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz82
There was also a bigger problem with non-genuine headlights. They fade quicker than the originals/genuine product
True, they make good door stops though, I cannot believe they are still allowed to sell the rubbish, I have actually seen where the bonnet rubs through the lens because they fit so badly, add to that a 300% mark-up in price (I've seen them wholesale for @$30 in the trade) & they really aren't a "bargain" at all. :