Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default What will be FG2 Upgrade??

What upgrades will we see in the upgrades between the FG and FGII?, the dealer i talked to said it may not be allot because look at the difference between BA and BAII, the only major differences was with the BF to FG.

99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

- Touch screen
- Voice control
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

and i hope different colours too
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
WASP
Whipple Induced

More changes that you would think but you'll have to wait until the third quarter 2011. Certainly not your usual series 2 updates, think more like a mid-life model makeover. As you will see with the new Territory the interior gets a makeover and looks more upmarket (think Mondeo). The main body shape remains but the front/backend treatment is likely to get a remodel to. Expect things like xenon headlights, some LED integration, touch screen and updated tech, updates to all engines including a few new ones (Turbo 4 and possible V8 return).

I'm only speculating but I am expecting the current FPV GS 315 motor to find it's way under the bonnet of the XR8.
Old 19-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Intercooler and more boost on the Coyote (pretty please)?
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
Intercooler and more boost on the Coyote (pretty please)?
You will need to look to FPV for that next year. My guess is the FPV GS as it exists now will become the Ford XR8 in the upgraded FG model form come August.
Old 19-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are they gonna call it FGII or something new like FH etc (like BA/BF)

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 02:01 AM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh it will be a 7 litre V8 twin turbo with 900kw@2000nm, carbon fibre and titanium construction and a RRP of $2.95 inc GST.

Of course that is the entry level model..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 02:11 AM   #9
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Oh it will be a 7 litre V8 twin turbo with 900kw@2000nm, carbon fibre and titanium construction and a RRP of $2.95 inc GST.

Add a few 0's onto that price and you'd think it was HSV bringing it out.
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Have a look at the front of FG Falcon, it's all plastic bar, grille and headlights.
Ford could change the look completely and quite easily if they ever wanted to.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I think it will be sooner then what CDAA is quoting.. one would think FG2 would come with SZ Territory as most upgrades will be across both models.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 03:33 AM   #12
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR
the dealer i talked to said it may not be allot because look at the difference between BA and BAII, the only major differences was with the BF to FG.
I think what Ford intended to launch as a series 2 BA got stretched between BA2, BF and BF2 to ease the extra ~2 years BA had to stick around in its basics. Over that whole time youve got some considerable NVH improvements as well as other notables like different styling, updated engine and new gearboxes.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

You forgot how it'll be called the GT-HO
Old 19-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G8E please!!!!! I know I am dreaming..but the Calais V is on my radar.
Old 19-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford would want to step their game up in the tech and features stakes. When the cheaper, similar sized but slower FWD Mondeo has:

Driver's knee airbag
Forward Collision Warning
Collision Mitigation
Bluetooth® Hands free with Voice Control
Adaptive Cruise Control
Human Machine Interface (HMI) with premium colour cluster display
Alcantara/leather sports seat trim with variable heated front seats
Sunroof
Dynamic Headlights
Cornering lamps
Smart Key with 'Ford Power' starter button
Park Assist (front and rear parking sensors)
Rain sensing wipers
Ford Easy Fuel (capless refuelling with mis-fuel inhibitor)
Xenon Headlights/Projector Beams

You can call all this as useless as you want, and then say that Ford Australia has a limited budget, which we know they do, but when the Mondeo has this, the Fiesta has some of this and the next Focus will have this and more, it makes Ford's range topping Falcon look like a poverty pack.

Not to mention the US have MyFord Touch and Ford SYNC. But if Ford can bring some of this (bold items), I'm sure people will again look at the Falcon/Territory. We want more from our cars, and while all this can be seen as gimmicks and whatever else, technology is very high on the priority list when car shopping for many people.
Old 19-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #16
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
G8E please!!!!! I know I am dreaming..but the Calais V is on my radar.
Just buy a GT-E.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #17
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
G8E please!!!!! I know I am dreaming..but the Calais V is on my
radar.
GTE???
Or you wanting xr8 with g series spec?
Old 19-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #18
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton

Collision Mitigation
Adaptive Cruise Control
Human Machine Interface (HMI) with premium colour cluster display
Smart Key with 'Ford Power' starter button
these what are they???
the smart key is the one you dont put in the ignition??
Old 19-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
these what are they???
My wife fills the top three roles....

Collision Mitigation (look out)
Adaptive Cruise Control (you're going too fast)
Human Machine Interface (HMI) with premium colour cluster display ( do I look pretty?)
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #20
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
these what are they???
You're correct on the Smart Key, the car has a Ford Power starter button. Stand next to the car door, pull the door handle and the doors unlock and open (can sense the key) and press the starter button and you're good to go.

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...ticle&site=FOA

HMI is in the instrument cluster, next to the speedo and displays car information, trip computer, incorporates Driver Alert and much more. A nice, clear, colour display.

Old 19-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #21
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

I think (and hope) anything the Territory gets, so will the Falcon - trim for trim, model for model...

Why does Ford separate the two when they could share even more costs between them? Treat them like the twins they are meant to be - ie: Territory is the proper Wagon replacement...

Or am I using too much money saving (or marketing easing) logic, or missing a point when it comes to the Territory being a waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced - and potentially better equipped - Falcon Wagon? Can't they share in the awesomeness?

Last edited by fou_bleu; 19-12-2010 at 08:48 PM.
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #22
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
I think (and hope) anything the Territory gets, so will the Falcon - trim for trim, model for model...

Why does Ford separate the two when they could share even more costs between them? Treat them like the twins they are meant to be - ie: Territory is the proper Wagon replacement...

Or am I using too much money saving (or marketing easing) logic, or missing a point when it comes to the Territory being a waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced - and potentially better equipped - Falcon Wagon? Can't they share in the awesomeness?
i do agree and also dont see why ford can out technology in the focus and mondeo etc that even the NZ$94K GTP and GTE dont get, i mean come on
Old 19-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #23
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
I think (and hope) anything the Territory gets, so will the Falcon - trim for trim, model for model...Why does Ford separate the two when they could share even more costs between them? Treat them like the twins they are meant to be.
My guess is you're spot on. Surly it'd make sence to share the new technology. The current Territory shares basic headlight structure with the BA, the interior dash layout was near identical, and switchgear and the steering wheel remained in tack. With the Territory updating to FG switch gear, Falcon should now reap the rewards of the Territory update.
Old 20-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #24
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Ford should be seriously considering better model differentiation for the interiors, especially the FPVs. Mates dad came away from the Homebush V8s massively impressed with everything on the new GS/GT/GTE except for the "...it still looks like a taxi" interior.

He'd love to move from his Audi back to a V8 and it would be his first foray into Ford territory (MASSIVE Holden fan) but with virtually no differentiation to the base model and XRs he's not interested.

Ford need to take a good look at Jag, Audi, Merc, BMW and learn how to do chrome embellishments or similar so they can actually make the 85k GT-E look properly different to the 40k Taxi, rather than adding leather seats and keeping the XRs silver dash highlights.

Even HSV have different instruments and dash set up than the Holdens...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 02:42 AM   #25
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
GTE???
Or you wanting xr8 with g series spec?
No ,a G6E with a V8.shouldn't be hard to do ????
Old 20-12-2010, 03:16 AM   #26
MexicanBatman
Banned

all i want is projector headlamps so i can do my own hid setup and a bigger fuel tank so i dont refill every 2nd day when i do drive the bloody thing say 80-90L would be shiit hot

and more rear end grip so i can floor it, even pirelli 275's havent really helped...

things i dont want are a stupid touch screen system, voice control or cd ripping etc... spend that $$ on something else like diff bushes etc...

i have had many touch screens in cars and buttons FTW and the cd thing? i havent used a cd in years, dvd support may get me mildly interested

front parking sensors? there's a window for that ;)
push button start is a ****

aside from my 2 things maybe working aircon and an electric passengers seat and 1 touch up windows...
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 07:34 AM   #27
aualright

[QUOTE=madmelon]I think Ford should be seriously considering better model differentiation for the interiors, especially the FPVs. Mates dad came away from the Homebush V8s massively impressed with everything on the new GS/GT/GTE except for the "...it still looks like a taxi" interior.

QUOTE]

I'm thinking that with the entrenched belief that 'it still looks like a taxi', your mate's dad would never buy a Falcon. Pretty sure his povery spec Audi looks just like an RS4 inside, assuming he drives the taxi model A4.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #28
GTP-814
love the quad cams

it will be the same timings as the ecoboost so lets nhops they dont spend all of their money on the turbo only
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #29
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No ,a G6E with a V8.shouldn't be hard to do ????
No, back in the day, you could order a V8 in a GL/Forte/XT model if you desired one. Now I think the G6ET is the 'replacement' for the V8 Ghia and customers like yourself wanting the luxo V8 cruiser without shelling out a quillion bucks for the GTE will be forced over to the Calais. As said above, the closest you'll get is an XR8 with every interior option shoved in it.

Even though Ford has narrowed it's range for the FG, I assume due to $$ and selling volumes, the difference between a top spec XR8 and a 'G8E' is a different plastic body kit and different suspension, both of which they're fitting to the respective cars. Surely not that much trouble to make a hybrid of the two and might be worth a gamble in limited numbers to steal a few potential Calais buyers back to the blue side.

But it's about as likely as an FG wagon.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #30
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

With what's just been seen of the new Territory nose with it's reshaped guards and bonnet line I reckon the headlights will now be a straight swap between the two. Currently the lamp section is shared but the Territory has a unique lens (more upright and shorter than Falcons with a different cut into the guards).

< = Compare with my avatar pic on left.