Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default iPhone, Android, Windows phone or Google?

I know there are lots of choices out there whether it's in AU, US, or anywhere else.

So here's the thing. Several days ago I bought a new phone, it's the LG Optimus L9. It has all the features that I want in a phone and I'm happy with it. I don't need lots of bling when it comes to a phone. I'm not a techie person so I don't know all the specs and numbers, but the operating system is really good and it's supposed to be fast or at least pretty fast for what I do. I don't live on my phone or use FB. So I like this new phone. Well, all except for one thing. It's size. It's big and I don't have big hands. I'm not used to the size because it's bigger than the phone I had. It's so big that when I hold it in my left hand and wrap my fingers around it, it doesn't feel natural...yet. It's almost like it doesn't fit comfortably in my hand or my palm area. I feel like I have to make a conscious effort to hold onto it. Maybe it's because it's new and I'm getting used to it. Or maybe it's because when I hold it, the phone is at my first knuckle of my fingers almost to where the soft part is at my fingertips. I wonder if I just need time to get used to it?

The phone/contract comes with a 14 day remorse period. So in a week and a half I need to decide or this is the phone I'll be using for almost 2 years.

So it got me wondering, what does your phone have to have and what do you want or need in your phone?

(I know there's a Galaxy IIIS thread and an upgrade thread. I'm hoping this is different enough to keep here in the Bar section.)

NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: iPhone, Android, Windows phone or Google?

Do we really want to do this.

I'll sit patiently and wait for the "my android/apple is more hecktic than your android/apple" to start up
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

I'll sit patiently and wait for the "my android/apple is more hecktic than your android/apple" to start up
That's not what I'm asking.
Old 24-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll get used to the size. I've got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, about the same size as yours and I also thought it was stupidly big when I got it, but feels completely natural now.
Old 24-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

You have answered your own question. You dont like it as it feels uncomfortable.

I use iphone have since the first one. I use it for calls, text and navigation, no social media.

I like the size.

I cant comment on other phones.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Yes we do.

And no it will not as there will be ZERO tolerance for posts of that nature.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I prefer Android and have Issues with the business practices of Apple but bear in mind these are my personal views connected to my personal needs . everyone hast their own needs and they may not be the same as mine. you will get responses saying phone OS blah blah is the best and everyone should be using it . ignore these responses as these people are blinded by their fanaticism. listen to replies based on functions, available apps, battery life, reliability & stability and see how they fit your needs and lifestyle.
unfortunately I don't see this thread lasting long as the fanatics will turn it into a mine is better than yours war.
I personally like the availability of open source apps on Android and the fact you are not tied to only company approved apps and accessories but this may not be an issue for some.
I have a Samsung S3 4G and find the phone and the OS to be stable and has good battery life for a smartphone. being android Flash player is available allowing flash enabled sites and movies to display properly ( important to me but probably not everyone)
I also have a Motorola Atrix which I find has far less battery life and is less stable but has better reception on the fringes

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
outside
off in outer space

i used to think, look at all those yuppies with their iPhones
i have now had 3 of them and dont know what i would do without it, does everything i need a phone to do
Old 24-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN View Post
So it got me wondering, what does your phone have to have and what do you want or need in your phone?
i believe this is the question being asked.

for me, mobiles started out as being a convenience in that you could contact someone if you broke down, etc. personally, my need for a phone has remained very simple. 80% of its use would be texts. about 15% phonecalls (you know, the things that mobiles used to be all about). the other 5% is to keep me occupied on night shift. i don't even have internet access on my phone unless i'm at home using wifi. but then i'm at home so why would i use my phone instead of the computer??

so when it comes time to upgrade my phone, just about every phone on the market will suit my needs, its just the one that cosmetically looks the best to me. for this reason, i have only ever owned nokia's. they do what I need them to do,and i like the look of them. simple really. i'm also well aware that i'm a minority.

just to add, a decent camera is handy, as i always have my phone on me and its good to get opportunistic pics of family/friends etc when your 'real' camera isn't handy.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Just looked up the specs of the L9. Screen is large being 4.7". I'm happy with the 4.3" screen my phone has and would find a phone with the same screen next time around (actually looked at buying the L7, just over $200 here outright).

As for OS. Android for me. I have limited experience with Apple but from what I have seen and heard I don't like how itunes works and I don't like complex solutions to simple problems (I needed to start a thread to 'learn' how to make my father in laws favourite song a ringtone).. and that process still took 45 minutes.

As for needs in a phone. i generally buy a phone that has been out for a while to a) get a discount as it's 'old' and b) would perhaps have less bugs then a newly released phone. Battery life is a big issue on large screen phones, most only last a day with decent use and that can be stretched out with various apps and setting tweaks. Decent camera is good, but not a deal breaker. I liked the FM transmitter on my old Nokia but it seems almost all smartphones these days have a FM radio but lost the transmitter feature.

Some phones have a very good GPS feature, but again this kills battery. I had a phone once that could be programmed to turn itself on and off, great feature if you love your sleep and don't want to be disturbed but haven't seen that as a feature on new phones.

Cheers

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Just looked up the specs of the L9. Screen is large being 4.7". I'm happy with the 4.3" screen my phone has and would find a phone with the same screen next time around (actually looked at buying the L7, just over $200 here outright).

As for OS. Android for me. I have limited experience with Apple but from what I have seen and heard I don't like how itunes works and I don't like complex solutions to simple problems (I needed to start a thread to 'learn' how to make my father in laws favourite song a ringtone).. and that process still took 45 minutes.

As for needs in a phone. i generally buy a phone that has been out for a while to a) get a discount as it's 'old' and b) would perhaps have less bugs then a newly released phone. Battery life is a big issue on large screen phones, most only last a day with decent use and that can be stretched out with various apps and setting tweaks. Decent camera is good, but not a deal breaker. I liked the FM transmitter on my old Nokia but it seems almost all smartphones these days have a FM radio but lost the transmitter feature.

Some phones have a very good GPS feature, but again this kills battery. I had a phone once that could be programmed to turn itself on and off, great feature if you love your sleep and don't want to be disturbed but haven't seen that as a feature on new phones.

Cheers
By the time my "almost 2 years is up" it'll cost me $350 for the phone. Not too bad. I get what you're saying about iTunes but once you get it, you'll breeze right through it.

I know this isn't a good thing but I don't like reading the directions/instructions....so, I took a look around my phone and alarm and guess what? I DO have that do not disturb, it's called "Quiet Time" and it turns off all sounds except for alarm and media during the times I set it for. That's a cool feature!

There's also mobile TV, movies and radio.....*i just looked.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
You'll get used to the size. I've got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, about the same size as yours and I also thought it was stupidly big when I got it, but feels completely natural now.
I saw the Nexus and I thought wow......isn't it 5+ inches? Like a mini notebook lappie size. It is popular here though, good choice! So how long did it take to feel completely natural and not stupidly big? Think a wk is enough time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I prefer Android and have Issues with the business practices of Apple but bear in mind these are my personal views connected to my personal needs . everyone hast their own needs and they may not be the same as mine. you will get responses saying phone OS blah blah is the best and everyone should be using it . ignore these responses as these people are blinded by their fanaticism. listen to replies based on functions, available apps, battery life, reliability & stability and see how they fit your needs and lifestyle.
unfortunately I don't see this thread lasting long as the fanatics will turn it into a mine is better than yours war.
I personally like the availability of open source apps on Android and the fact you are not tied to only company approved apps and accessories but this may not be an issue for some.
I have a Samsung S3 4G and find the phone and the OS to be stable and has good battery life for a smartphone. being android Flash player is available allowing flash enabled sites and movies to display properly ( important to me but probably not everyone)
I also have a Motorola Atrix which I find has far less battery life and is less stable but has better reception on the fringes

THANK YOU!!
Thank you for being respectful to other users and their choices, and thank you for sharing your reasons. The open source apps is one of the reasons why I went with a 'droid....although of course my friends shared with me their thoughts but, my phone, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside
i used to think, look at all those yuppies with their iPhones
i have now had 3 of them and dont know what i would do without it, does everything i need a phone to do
That's exactly what my iPhone friends said till they made the move and now they're convinced it's the way to go. And they're looking forward to the iPhone 6 this June-ish. Not sure when their contracts are up but you can bet they'll be checking it out. I already know 2 who'll buy it anyway and upgrade early out of pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i believe this is the question being asked.

for me, mobiles started out as being a convenience in that you could contact someone if you broke down, etc. personally, my need for a phone has remained very simple. 80% of its use would be texts. about 15% phonecalls (you know, the things that mobiles used to be all about). the other 5% is to keep me occupied on night shift. i don't even have internet access on my phone unless i'm at home using wifi. but then i'm at home so why would i use my phone instead of the computer??

so when it comes time to upgrade my phone, just about every phone on the market will suit my needs, its just the one that cosmetically looks the best to me. for this reason, i have only ever owned nokia's. they do what I need them to do,and i like the look of them. simple really. i'm also well aware that i'm a minority.

just to add, a decent camera is handy, as i always have my phone on me and its good to get opportunistic pics of family/friends etc when your 'real' camera isn't handy.
Agreed, Nokia's are cool. I don't think you're in the minority, I think more people text than talk on the phone. Unless of course you're just getting to know someone. I agree with you too and what you wrote makes sense.

The 5% at work......well, if I can I have too.
Old 25-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
You have answered your own question. You dont like it as it feels uncomfortable.

I use iphone have since the first one. I use it for calls, text and navigation, no social media.

I like the size.

I cant comment on other phones.
I did answer my own question....but to think positively, I'm hoping it starts to feel more natural. And yes, the size of iPhones are just right.
Old 25-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Yes we do.

And no it will not as there will be ZERO tolerance for posts of that nature.
Thank you.
Old 25-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Nokia Lumia 820

Standard size phone running Windows Phone 8.

http://www.nokia.com/au-en/products/phone/lumia820

Can be as high tech or low tech as you like.

Brilliant phone and good OS
Old 25-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
Nokia Lumia 820

Standard size phone running Windows Phone 8.

http://www.nokia.com/au-en/products/phone/lumia820

Can be as high tech or low tech as you like.

Brilliant phone and good OS
Only AT&T offers it........bummer. I've seen the 810 though.
Old 25-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Well I'm the opposite I like a bigger screen, Im not one of the mobile phone generation. I more use it for here than any thing.... lucky to make 1 call a week maybe a msg or too!

My phone is about as big as you can get Samsung galaxy note 2 the guys ay work nicknamed it the "The paver" but I have large hands and have no probs using it single handed, use too have trouble with standard old school phones... use to use a pen as my thumb would cover all the key's :(
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I've had Android phones for the last 4 years. As much as I like them I feel I need to try something else and go Windows 8 phone.

If not I'll settle for the Samsung Galaxy Note II.
Old 25-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #18
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58 View Post
same
the misses and i updated from some old pieces of rubbish to the nexus
love them
mate at work has a Note
my god that thing is just overkill, its huge
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #19
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Samsung Galaxy Nexus here running Android Jelly Bean (4.1).
I dislike iWhatever with a passion, but I've always steered clear of companies that lock you in to their proprietary formats or software if possible. Sony was another one who was big for this reason - Mini disc anyone?
Having said that, I do work in the IT industry, so anything with bells and whistles is what I want! I went Android because I can do so much more with my Android phone than I possibly could with an iPhone.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

I have the Galaxy Note II, with Android (of course!)

I like the concept and easy use of Android over Apple or Microsoft.

Apple seems to be the "follow the heard" brand.

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
18's, Tint, ZF Conversion, LED Conversion, Exhaust.
Mr G8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I saw the Nexus and I thought wow......isn't it 5+ inches? Like a mini notebook lappie size. It is popular here though, good choice! So how long did it take to feel completely natural and not stupidly big? Think a wk is enough time?
That's the same thing I thought when I watched the release video. The screen size is actually 4.65in, which is more or less the same as your 4.7in.

I upgraded from a 3.7in Moto Defy, and it took me no more than a week to get used to it. Having said that, I was using it for a good hour or two a day, so if you aren't using it that much it'll obviously take longer.
Old 25-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #22
Dusty1
Giddy up!

That new LG is very close to the Nexus 4 in design and spec, so if you're looking for a change, the Nexus 4 is probably not for you.

Most smartphones these days are at least 4.5 inches tall. I saw a small chap using a Note (don't know if it was I or II) and it looked like he was holding a loaf of bread to his head.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #23
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I've had a galaxy and now I have an iPhone.

I can honestly say I prefer my iPhone. Just the feel, functionality, compatibility with basically everything...etc etc

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Having had the Iphone, the Android phone and now a windows phone, I would say the Android takes the cake. The windows phone (Lumia 920) is a great phone, with a fantastic set up, but it's just not reached that point of advancement yet that it's a show stopper. It has all the things I need, but it is a bulky phone, and can be quite cumbersome sometimes. I use it for a lot of microsoft office based stuff, so it's fantastic for that...but not so good for Facebook - the windows app is shizer and I've opted for a third party app to do what Windows should have done in the first place... :\

It all comes down to personal taste, but I think I'll be going back to Android for my next phone, simply because the UI with Windows just isn't at that point yet. Give it six months, and it will probably be there...maybe...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just purchased a note 2, i had never bothered with smart phones until a while ago when my brother gave me a hand me down, did'nt really see the point of them really before that, but now I,m finding i like a lot of the handy gadgets apart from being able to get on the net or just make a call, I like the android goodies and being able to customize the phone, i like the torch, stop watch, magnifying glass, a compass, , watch a youtube or maybe even a movie while waitng for someone .
Forgot to mention gps.

Last edited by mik; 26-03-2013 at 12:47 AM.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #26
robbyj
Rob

These day's just about every other smart phone is "better" then the iphone. Yet i'll still prefer the iphone, because of its size and it can still do everything i need it to do.

My friend just got a Galaxy Note 2, and it's an amazing phone!! if you can get past the size, id recommend that.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58 View Post
That's the same thing I thought when I watched the release video. The screen size is actually 4.65in, which is more or less the same as your 4.7in.

I upgraded from a 3.7in Moto Defy, and it took me no more than a week to get used to it. Having said that, I was using it for a good hour or two a day, so if you aren't using it that much it'll obviously take longer.
Funny you should say that, because for the first 3 days I hardly used my phone. I texted or made calls if I really had to and if it could wait, then it had to wait. I'd leave it on my desk, in my bag or anywhere else rather than carry it and take it with me. Put it in my jeans pocket? Uhh no, won't fit and again, it's too big. I guess I was fixated on the initial shock of the size of it than trying to get used to it.

So I am using it more now. I'm texting, calling, taking a look around the phone (I'm so not the read the instructions person), the apps, camera, video, the "bells, whistles and bling" and starting to personalize it to be me. I'm getting a feel for it now and sort of getting used to the size. But today when a friend asked me "how's the phone" the first thing I said was "it's big!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6
Well I'm the opposite I like a bigger screen, Im not one of the mobile phone generation. I more use it for here than any thing.... lucky to make 1 call a week maybe a msg or too!

My phone is about as big as you can get Samsung galaxy note 2 the guys ay work nicknamed it the "The paver" but I have large hands and have no probs using it single handed, use too have trouble with standard old school phones... use to use a pen as my thumb would cover all the key's :(
"The Paver?" Good one! The Note 2's are really big. But I'm glad you found the right one for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
I've had Android phones for the last 4 years. As much as I like them I feel I need to try something else and go Windows 8 phone.

If not I'll settle for the Samsung Galaxy Note II.
Same here, I might feel the need for something new next time too, it just depends, I guess. And since Windows 8 is what comes with new laptops, getting the same phone with cascading tiles might be a good thing. Thanks!

I wonder how the next Windows 9 (Windows 8.1 or code name Windows Blue) will be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver
same
the misses and i updated from some old pieces of rubbish to the nexus
love them
mate at work has a Note
my god that thing is just overkill, its huge
Haha! It's big but perfect for others, like XP6. Glad you and your Mrs. are happy with your upgrades!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Samsung Galaxy Nexus here running Android Jelly Bean (4.1).
I dislike iWhatever with a passion, but I've always steered clear of companies that lock you in to their proprietary formats or software if possible. Sony was another one who was big for this reason - Mini disc anyone?
Having said that, I do work in the IT industry, so anything with bells and whistles is what I want! I went Android because I can do so much more with my Android phone than I possibly could with an iPhone.
Yup that's why the confusion of what to get.....there's so many choices out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr G8
I have the Galaxy Note II, with Android (of course!)

I like the concept and easy use of Android over Apple or Microsoft.

Apple seems to be the "follow the heard" brand.
True to that. Apple is the IN brand for many....and the reason why their shops are always crowded!
Old 26-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #28
Phil B
Clevo power!

One other thing to look for as well is the price and availability of accessories. I have noticed that iPhone and blackberry chargers can cost quite a lot more than generic micro usb chargers. When I ended up in hospital I didn't have my charger with me. The staff looked for me and said they only had a Samsung charger, I said yep, that'll work on my HTC. Was very handy.

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #29
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyj View Post
These day's just about every other smart phone is "better" then the iphone. Yet i'll still prefer the iphone, because of its size and it can still do everything i need it to do.

My friend just got a Galaxy Note 2, and it's an amazing phone!! if you can get past the size, id recommend that.
Yup, agreed. It just depends on what you have and what you're used to. And the Note 2 IS amazing, it can do everything but detail my car for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
That new LG is very close to the Nexus 4 in design and spec, so if you're looking for a change, the Nexus 4 is probably not for you.

Most smartphones these days are at least 4.5 inches tall. I saw a small chap using a Note (don't know if it was I or II) and it looked like he was holding a loaf of bread to his head.
I noticed the change in size too from before. It used to be "how small can we get it and yet make a do-everything smart phone" and now it's the larger screens and making it like a mini notebook laptop AND including all the bells and whistles. Of course it'll get larger. Your loaf of bread loaf comment made me

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I've had a galaxy and now I have an iPhone.

I can honestly say I prefer my iPhone. Just the feel, functionality, compatibility with basically everything...etc etc
I know what you mean, iPhones are a great size for me too. And that's why I posted this thread. So many choices and stepping into my carrier's shop just blows me away. Talk about overwhelm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Having had the Iphone, the Android phone and now a windows phone, I would say the Android takes the cake. The windows phone (Lumia 920) is a great phone, with a fantastic set up, but it's just not reached that point of advancement yet that it's a show stopper. It has all the things I need, but it is a bulky phone, and can be quite cumbersome sometimes. I use it for a lot of microsoft office based stuff, so it's fantastic for that...but not so good for Facebook - the windows app is shizer and I've opted for a third party app to do what Windows should have done in the first place... :\

It all comes down to personal taste, but I think I'll be going back to Android for my next phone, simply because the UI with Windows just isn't at that point yet. Give it six months, and it will probably be there...maybe...
Esp since you had all 3, you can make a good comparison and know what you want next time. And lots can happen in the cell market in 6 months so we shall see! You just might stick with Windows then. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
Just purchased a note 2, i had never bothered with smart phones until a while ago when my brother gave me a hand me down, did'nt really see the point of them really before that, but now I,m finding i like a lot of the handy gadgets apart from being able to get on the net or just make a call, I like the android goodies and being able to customize the phone, i like the torch, stop watch, magnifying glass, a compass, , watch a youtube or maybe even a movie while waitng for someone .
Forgot to mention gps.
Yes it depends what you use your phone for and it's true, it's the convenience and accessibility of being able to do so many things that puts the "smart" in smart phones. And don't forget games when *ahem* there's time. And emails and text too!
Old 26-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #30
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
One other thing to look for as well is the price and availability of accessories. I have noticed that iPhone and blackberry chargers can cost quite a lot more than generic micro usb chargers. When I ended up in hospital I didn't have my charger with me. The staff looked for me and said they only had a Samsung charger, I said yep, that'll work on my HTC. Was very handy.
Good point. iPhone and Blackberry are exclusive.....and that's how they keep their brand.

Did you see the new Blackberry Z10 or the HTC One M7?

I hope you're ok now.