Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default how hard to fix?

saw this and i want to know how much work just by looking at this will it take to get this back on the road

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AU-II-XR8-UTE...QQcmdZViewItem

S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
saw this and i want to know how much work just by looking at this will it take to get this back on the road

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AU-II-XR8-UTE...QQcmdZViewItem
It'd be a great project for those with the time, confidence, skill and money to do it. I unfortunately have none of the aforementioned! LOL!

I take my hat off to those who do, and who can!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

if you can weld and use a drill, no more than 2k.. If you want to cheque book repair it, somewhere closer to 5k

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
if you can weld and use a drill, no more than 2k.. If you want to cheque book repair it, somewhere closer to 5k
i can weld drill, grind and basically anything power tool i can also afford the car right now but i got no where to store it and not all the time in the world to fix but ill see if i can find a storage place im gonna buy it......either salvage parts or repair it
Old 01-05-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

hmm , a private seller , looks like someone who got their car back from the insurance mob after their neat prang ..lol -imo it still seems expensive for the damage that has been done , no doubt its probably been written off, might not look to major but the chassis could be damaged/twisted too or anything , thats a fair whack in the frontend , you could prolly pick 1 up with straight panels but minor scratches with a few minor problems for maybe around $3500 from a auction , then spend another $1500 painting it and fixing the small problems and have a car that hasn't been smashed for around the same price roughly as trying to fix that mess on ebay (quicker and easier to fix !) .. just my 2 cents .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
shepv8
V8's for ever

not certain, but I didnt think series 2 utes came with the 220kw motor.
seems to be a lot of sellers out there claiming they have the 220kw engine when they dont
shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
hmm , a private seller , looks like someone who got their car back from the insurance mob after their neat prang ..lol -imo it still seems expensive for the damage that has been done , no doubt its probably been written off, might not look to major but the chassis could be damaged/twisted too or anything , thats a fair whack in the frontend , you could prolly pick 1 up with straight panels but minor scratches with a few minor problems for maybe around $3500 from a auction , then spend another $1500 painting it and fixing the small problems and have a car that hasn't been smashed for around the same price roughly as trying to fix that mess on ebay (quicker and easier to fix !) .. just my 2 cents .
havent seen them that cheap,a well written off series 3 Xr8 sedans go for $5 -8g depend in on damaged condition ,I would think that ute to be worth $8g,and on ebay will go for that easily
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 10:38 PM   #8
russky
Road Terrorist

I had about the same damage in my AU before. Think it was close to 10k that the insurance had to cover.
russky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 12:01 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id be a bit worried about the rails being bent, some advice from a good beater checking the rails first would be the go i think, flat rack work is timely and expensive, id be a bit wary.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:03 AM   #10
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepv8
not certain, but I didnt think series 2 utes came with the 220kw motor.
seems to be a lot of sellers out there claiming they have the 220kw engine when they dont
You are correct. That motor in that ute is no 220kw. It hasn't got the Tickford throttle body that came with the 220kw. It's a 200kw.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #11
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a BA ute that looked just as straight sitting in a wrecking yard. If it's bent it wont be worth it and sometimes the only way to check is to take it to a shop and have it measured. The only three reasons I can think for selling it is-:
1. It wasn't insured and he has no money.
2. It wasn't insured and it is not cost effective to repair.
3. it was written off with him retaining the wreck and paid out for car and what he gets is a bonus.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a hard one.....im still watching it though

one question if it was a headon type impact why is the airbag/s still there?

and im sorta not gonna get it now its almost 5k and like XR6-VCT-2000 said i might go check auctions for a nicer ute <<< thats all i want is a ute
Old 02-05-2006, 06:45 PM   #13
mattsAU1

not only check the rails but if u plan to buy it and wreck it, find out what condition the motor is in, like has been said before, that is a fairly decent wack and i cant see a radiator in there so the motor being the most valuable component, night be a good idea
mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #14
XR6Stu

Yeah Id be surprised if therails dont have damage. Will need a new radiator support, a new gaurd, and possible a new skirt (panel where shock towers bolt into). Fair bit of work there.

Also, removing and replacing those re-inforcment bars are a real bugger to get on and off.... I did mine recently as the regulars who saw the thread will know.... bugger of a job.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #15
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
its a hard one.....im still watching it though

one question if it was a headon type impact why is the airbag/s still there?

and im sorta not gonna get it now its almost 5k and like XR6-VCT-2000 said i might go check auctions for a nicer ute <<< thats all i want is a ute
Send the seller an e-mail and ask if its written off , imo if it is then forget it (nearly bet my balls the chassis/rails are twised if so) , if it isn't written off then maybe depending on the damage report it might be worth fixing , can't hurt to e-mail the seller and ask ;) . good luck with it or what ever you end up purchasing .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post