Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 24-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
ldevries
Starter Motor

Default air conditioner stops on high fan settings

Hi All,

I have a 91 TX5. I have a problem with the air conditioner, where the clutch drops out on fan settings 3 &4. The light comes on in the A/C switch on fan settings 1 & 2, but as soon as I switch to fan settings 3 & 4, the clutch drops out AND the indicator on the A/C switch also goes out. Hence it would appear to be a electrical problem. All fuses etc. have been checked.

I do not have a wiring diagram so I would appreciate if someone could have a look for me if they have one or tell me where I can download a wiring diagram.

Regards,

Lee
Geelong

ldevries is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

is the system out of gas ... check for bubbles in the dryer glass
the system usually shuts down to protect the compressor if the gas is low
Old 25-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
ldevries
Starter Motor

I believe not. It seems to be very reliable at fan settings 1 & 2, but it cuts off
very positively when going to 3 or 4. My experience with low gas is that , the action is more intermittant, as if it is a switch problem(??).
That is why I would like to see a wiring diagram, to see what sort of circuitry is switched in on high speed settings & where the low gas detectors are etc.

Regards,

Lee
ldevries is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More than likely a resistor. Usually positioned near the heater core.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm thinking fan speed switch here.

Normally, this switch has two sets of contacts: One that controls the fan speed (in conjunction with the resistor), the other enables the Aircon when the fan is switched on.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 03:41 AM   #6
TXAX
Starter Motor

Would go with ute83 on this one, the resistor more likely, but possibly switch.
How did you get on?
TXAX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post