Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-05-2006, 01:57 AM   #1
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default problem with my tyres when it's wet!

hey guys, the tyres i got on my AU2XR6 are BF GOODRICH 16"'s and they are a good brand as far as i know but they are sooo bad when it comes to gripping on wet roads! i dont even go fast around a corner and the tyres spin like anything! does anyone else have the same tyres and same problem i have? anyone no of any other tyres that grip heaps better on wet roads?

BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 02:33 AM   #2
Scott

I had BF's a while ago, they may have changed since then but they were pretty awful in the wet if staying on the road was a concern. I might add that they were 295's though.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I've had BF's ages ago too, i too don't know if they have changed the compound of the tyre in recent years, but back then mine were all over the place in the wet too .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

A mate had BF Goodrich on his car & yes in the wet they were worst than a dog trying to run on wet lino!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the back end doesn't fling right out around the corner maybe your LSD is not working properly and you should have it checked because if its not it will spin out worse than a wife that just found out you spent more money on the car.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

He might not have LSD. Are these the only tyres you have ran on this car? My car is always tailhappy in the wet, with whatever tyres... and I have High Performance LSD...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Being on the coast Brent doesn't help your cause. As we see so little rain, it is a combination of road gunk, dropped oil and water that makes a wet road so slippery. After a few days of rain and the roads are washed clean of all the other crud my car grips far better than when it is drizzle or the first rain.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
BJMXR

My problem is my tyres are bald... still my AU seems more tail happy than the ED XR6 ever was anyway... I have Bridgestones on it at the moment... happy with them.
Lowered on King SL & SSL
KONI "Yellows" Fully Adjustable Shocks
2.5in Stainless Herrods Cat back
Black Leather Interior
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

imo no matter how good ya tires are , it's pretty easy to get the rear end sideways with just a bit too much gas when its wet , if you can't then you've got yaself 1 seriouslly underpowered engine ..lol - id'e be more concerned if i was getting no grip with the front wheels when turning or braking in the wet !

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just yesterday i was driving after a 5 minuite spurt of rain

and the road was still wet as

and the *** slid out around acorner and i was taking it nice and slow being so soon after rain that hasnt been rained on for a month or so..

and i didnt even hit 3000rpm in 1st in my auto 6cyl!!

so the short story is..
take it EASY in the wet after a long dry!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:56 PM   #11
janek
Ripping it up

ok... keep in mind we drive falcons, not commonwhores... we have torque even below 2000 rpm.

i dont need to go above 1800 rpm in the city ever (ignore that i do), and even then im not going slow.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post