Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default How did your cooling system hold together in this sweltering heat.

Sydney was over 40 degrees for most of the day, even at 10pm its 34 degrees.

I took my xr8 out during the hottest part of the day, gave it a fair amount of stick, it has the cooler thermostat fitted and tune altered when engine fans come on earlier

Normally it sits on a quarter only, but in todays extreme conditions it rose to mid way between a quarter and half. I had air conditioner on full steam too and giving her plenty of revs. Thats still under stock where they sit just under half.

Its also pretty good considering it has underdrives so i would imagine water pump is underdriven. I also have the rubbers removed from underbonnet at bottom of windscreen (an old xr6t trick)

There were heaps of people on sides of roads today heating system getting the better of them, how did yours perform?

RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Werd.
nou

Well over 40C here in Gosford today, amazingly the poorly maintained (no service in 40,000KM) AU falcon sat at the "O" in NORMAL all day, even while at idle in the sun.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

In Hervey bay today it was Humidity that killed as well as the 35+ temp. My old bog stock internally 34 year old XC engine held up perfect
Mainly because my Temp gauge doesn't work!
And my alluminium radiator is 70% more efficiant at cooling then the stock one, so i need not worry about the temp for the time being.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With a dodgy radiator, the A/C on MAX, and slurring through traffic, the temp on the EL didn't move much further than the A of 'normal'. Picked up a bit of speed and it dropped down to L, where it always sits, summer or winter.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was driving an '01 Astra today while mine was in a Ford getting some rust fixed.
Sitting at the traffic lights this morning at 9:00am the temp gauge crept up to 95ish degrees. Once I started driving went got back down to 85ish.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
T3-TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove the old T3 to work today as its got better aircon than the cruiser and the temp stayed at same spot as always on the n position,just normal traffic and ambiant temp of 41 degrees,i think i will drive it for the rest of the week to keep me cool.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i drove home. at 4 pm the car said it was 44 driving through Bankstown (bro!) car singing along happily through the factory area traffic no problems at all with the Powerbonds.
It's still damn hot now hey
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

My BF's needle didn't budge after reaching operating temperature. Parked in shade a few times and didn't have the air-con above half. Was quietly impressed.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Work Triton Diesel just plodded along just fine .. Drove from Penrith to Hornsby then to Carlton to Ch 10 Sydney then to Hornsby then Penrith no worries..
The WRX showed 42* on outside temp..
Both cars had air conditioners on..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Well until friday my AU would fluctuate between the N and O depending on driving conditions.
Friday morning i replaced the radiator and filled it with Tectaloy 100+ and since then has sat consistantly on the N even during yesterday when the temp gauge sign at the Grand Central Clubrooms showed 47* at midday.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #11
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The temp in my EL when it was still in the mid 30's at 10:30pm last night was fine. Was sitting around the A or L in normal. Just the LPG converter decided to freeze up in the hot weather.
Driving around on Sunday in the Peugeot, it said the outside temperature was 44 degrees and we had the air con cranked and climbing long, slight inclines. It ran a little warmer than normal, just below 90 degrees where it usually runs at about 80. Still, it was only half way
Old 01-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

38 and 40 degree days last week (with some humidity thrown in for good measure) and my BA got a little hotter than normal. The aircon was on full time which of course had the high speed thermo fan cranking regularly which helped keep it cool, but I noticed the car generally wasnt happy with the weather. It didnt overheat or nothing, but the only time I've seen the needle on the otherside of the half way mark was when those morons forgot to plug my thermos back in. I may put one of those BPT thermostats in it to help it run a little cooler.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #13
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Went home at 5:30, 29 y o subaru with its belt driven fan and one electric that starts just after halfway (halfway is N.O.T) didnt go over NOT. No air con whatsoever

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drove teh Jeep today. Normal running temp is just under half, occasioanlly goes up to half in hot weather. Didn't even notice the temp today, but it held up fine idling in the hot sun for 10 minutes with the AC on full bast.

Being a Jeep its a wonder it didn't randomly catch on fire, and breakdown. Because usually that's a normal day for a Jeep... apparently.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #15
Blue_XR

Its not my vehicle but the bus I was passenger on this afternoon stopped from overheating. I heard the bus driver talking on his radio and he was being told a few buses over heated today. Lucky we were near home and the next bus picked up the passengers.

It always pays to keep the cooling system maintained.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Driving my Courier ute with over 330,000k's. Cooling system did it easy.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:50 AM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well, it was "only" 39 here today, and I drove the AU XR8 on the highway, and through the suburbs, sitting at lights etc, and didn't move above it's normal position of halfway between N & O (AUs start at N and run to L, whereas E series start at L and run to N). Don't have aftermarket underdrives - the nice people at Ford fitted them at the factory in the AU windsors!

Took the Terry out this evening, and of course with the heat down, all was good, but outside temp at 11pm-ish was still showing as 30!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
snottygobble

well, the window winders in my wagon appear to be functioning properly, for added ventilation i'm able to wind down the rear tailgate window, that's about as much A/C as i get!!

in short the car is a heat magnet and i'll be looking forward to an instal of an after market unit

'it's hard to run when a coathanger beats you on the thighs'
[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]
snottygobble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #19
Paxton
Cobblers!

Brilliantly. With the Aircon on Normal, the Air on Recycled, and the fan on three, the car ran at O in Normal. It actually ran cooler with the Aircon on, than it did with it off.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #20
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No problems on my air cooled Ducati 900SS (well, it does have an oil cooler, but that's air cooled too). Only problem was the scalding heat from the rear cylinder on my inner thighs whilst waiting at lights on Punt Rd.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #21
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Consider this, the standard cooling system wasn't ment to be pumped through a turbo charger, nor have airflow blocked by a FMIC, but my system works wonders!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #22
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My EF XR6 got to half way with aircon on so right in the middler or letter R and M in the NORMAL range writting, but my fuel economy has gone out the window for using air con so much LOL

Thats all inner west Sydney driving
Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #23
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I drive a 30 year old Mazda wagon 323, the heat gauge didn't shift from dead cold all day, which I am surprised at. It's the original radiator and cooling system, no thermos, and it was sweet. Love the old girl considering it was free!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #24
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Fiesta lacks an engine temp gauge, a light will come on if it overheats so the manual says. But it felt normal to me.

In terms of the air con though; Has only been low 30's here in Toowoomba, but the Fiesta struggles in anything above 25 degrees if there's a bit of humidity, which there has been. At full blast, definitly no comfortable, but I'd hate to see it at 40 degrees with high humidity! You poor buggers in Sydney must be feeling it.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #25
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Ford - built tough.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #26
creative
I am Batman

well mines been great. got to stock temp pretty quickly and it never moved. I do a fair few miles and it didnt miss a beat. I did notice it was down on power due to running aircon and hot air getting into the engine though.

I actually had this thought today whilst I was sat in traffic.... bizarre!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #27
zdcol71
zdcol71

XH Ute.... and for a car that has" no visible means of support" in the cooling department, it has performed admirably... a/c, stop/start commuting and freeway driving.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #28
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BA XR6. Best part of the day was moving from the humid work place, across the blistering car park and within a km down the road, pure ice cold bliss. Held out very well.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #29
SVR73
Mr Polish

No problems with my car in low to mid 40's in Adelaide.
Just replaces coolant again with more Redline water wetter and purified water and the AU1 XR sat below the N of NORMAL all through the hot spell with air con on and off and me giving it some stick on the way home from work each time
original radiator from factory in 1998 too
Old 04-02-2011, 02:02 AM   #30
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

My Land Rover V8 hasn't missed a beat. Climate control set at 22* whilst it is mostly between 30* to 41* outside.