Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Driving XR8 on P's?

Just wondering if anybody knows anyway I can get an exemption (apart from work vehicle, tradie, hardship) to drive a v8 on my p's? I missed the July 1st cut off by 2 months.

I found an absolutely perfect 2001 220kw XR8 and am trying to drive it legally.

Thanks for any help,
Tim.

Old 15-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

tough, unfortunately for you. Missing the cutoff means just that, you missed the cut off. I don't see you being able to get an exemption purely because you 'want to'. If that were the case, the law wouldn't have been passed.. Although a 220kw xr8 would be a nice car to have as a first car, it's hardly necessary. Just do the time and look forward to driving something else when you're legally allowed to.
Old 15-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry champ. Your chances are about 0.
Old 15-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSW
Just wondering if anybody knows anyway I can get an exemption (apart from work vehicle, tradie, hardship) to drive a v8 on my p's? I missed the July 1st cut off by 2 months.

I found an absolutely perfect 2001 220kw XR8 and am trying to drive it legally.

Thanks for any help,
Tim.
My mate bought his V8 1/2 a year before the new laws.
Still couldn't get an exemption.
Old 15-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Kryton

just think, when you are allowed to drive one, they will be even cheaper again.
Old 15-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In QLD you can get an exemption if you've owned the car (or it has been in your family) for 3 or more years. You've got bugger all chance unless you can apply for hardship somehow, But because your in VIC im assuming it'd be a lot harder to get an exemption there than up here.
Old 15-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Remove 2 cylinders?

Sorry mate

I was looking at going down a similar path, but my enquiries got me nowhere :(

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
Old 15-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
MitchG

You might be able to get an exemption if you need to drive your car to & from work (if you have no other means of transport), but that might be about as far as you can go & you might get a curfew as well, better then nothing i spose....
Old 15-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I originally went in may, but I had the worst tester (who has actually been 'relieved' late last year for unacceptable test conduct or something to that extent, he was fired for not passing anyone) and then I had the SAME tester in June who once again failed me.

I'm just wondering would I be able to dispute the fact that I had the same tester twice? And maybe get an exemption in that regard?
Old 15-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
MitchG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Remove 2 cylinders?
Just out of curiosity is that possable to govern an engines output power?
like disconnecting turbo etc, then getting a mechanical certificate to confirm it?
Old 15-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG
You might be able to get an exemption if you need to drive your car to & from work (if you have no other means of transport), but that might be about as far as you can go & you might get a curfew as well, better then nothing i spose....
That's basically what I really need it for at the moment, driving to work. So I can get an exemption from that? Would you know how?
Old 15-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
MitchG

Quote:
Yeah I originally went in may, but I had the worst tester (who has actually been 'relieved' late last year for unacceptable test conduct or something to that extent, he was fired for not passing anyone) and then I had the SAME tester in June who once again failed me.

I'm just wondering would I be able to dispute the fact that I had the same tester twice? And maybe get an exemption in that regard?
I dont think it matters you got your Ps after july 1st, the rule still applies, power to weight ratio etc...
Old 15-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
MitchG

Quote:
That's basically what I really need it for at the moment, driving to work. So I can get an exemption from that? Would you know how?
If there is no one else in your family who has a car you can drive legally & you dont live near public transport you MIGHT have a case for hardship...

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...mptionform.pdf
Old 15-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG
If there is no one else in your family who has a car you can drive legally & you dont live near public transport you MIGHT have a case for hardship...
hardly.. he hasn't bought the car yet. The response will be the car is banned , you knew it was banned, you could have bought another, you bought it anyway, go away.
Old 15-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #15
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11226309

Why would you need an exemption when you only started looking for the car this month ?
You are already aware of the rules.
Old 15-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #16
Azzman460

correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the july 1st cut off means no v8's and no turbo's. Having been on my P's for 2 years now i still go by the old power to weight ratio so i can drive a turbo or an 8 so long as its not to powerful or the capacity is to large.
Old 15-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #17
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No need to get on your back foot, i'm simply asking a question. I need a new car and i'd like an 8 before it's too expensive to run one. I was just wondering if there was any way I could, if not it's fine.

Edit: To Falcon Coupe
Old 15-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #18
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh and also i actually thought i'd beaten the cut-off point originally, that is why I looked at the car etc. Until I actually went to make sure it was all good and I found out I was 2 months late.
Old 15-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #19
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure about the new rules they may have changed this but you were aloud 130 or 140 kw (cant remember exactly) to the tonne . otherwise debadge the car an pray you don't get pulled over .
Witch might be a problem being a p-plater and in victoria.
Although i used to ride a bike that was over powered for p-plates and all i recieved was a $170 fine after getting busted. Car's probly differ though.
Old 15-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #20
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
No need to get on your back foot, i'm simply asking a question. I need a new car and i'd like an 8 before it's too expensive to run one. I was just wondering if there was any way I could, if not it's fine.

Edit: To Falcon Coupe

Who is on the backfoot ?, i was stating the facts.

Never mind being expensive to run, what i did was buy frugal car for daily driving and the keep the hypo stroker V8 for weekends :
Old 15-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #21
MitchG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzman460
correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the july 1st cut off means no v8's and no turbo's. Having been on my P's for 2 years now i still go by the old power to weight ratio so i can drive a turbo or an 8 so long as its not to powerful or the capacity is to large.

So going by that you can drive an XR5 turbo which would probably be quicker then alot of V8s providing you obtained your P's before july 1st?

XR5 turbo
166KW
Weight:1366
Your power to weight ratio (kW per Tonne):122
Old 15-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #22
boss-290

You can't drive a v8 so bad luck.

Thank your P plate predecessors
Old 15-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #23
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Not a chance mate, had you got it before the new laws maybe, but after...

I had mine when i moved back from WA a tthe age of 18, even then after owning the car for nearly a year, it was like trying to get blood from a stone getting my exemption from vicroads... but i did get it.
Old 15-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #24
schultzie
Just Images

it was 140kw per tonne, so yes the xr5 was legal under the old system.

id say you have buckleys in getting an exemption... except if u maby brought up about the assessor being fired ect... that would help i woud think
Old 15-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #25
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The no V8 and no turbo rule for P platers in Vic actually started from July 1 2007, not 2008. I was doing research for and apprentice who got his licence in May, only to disappoint him with the news. He still owns his turbo ride and drives.
Old 15-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #26
schultzie
Just Images

that was the only way i managed to get my gf to get her licence a couple years ago.... told her about that and that she wouldnt be able to drive my subaru, it worked she had her licence a month later
Old 15-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #27
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get a cheap run around till you get off your P's, then its open slather.

Insurance will be cheaper, you wont get targeted, cars will be cheaper in a year or 2, you can upgrade to a BA for around the same price...

Either that, buy a cheap daily and a project car, by the time your off, you should have nice streeter ready, if your into that sort of thing.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
Old 15-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #28
Shounak

Don''t drive a high powered car on your P's. I was driving a V8 and someone reversed into the back of my car while I was stationary in a carpark.

I was legitimately parked properly, but chasing the money through insurance wasn't easy. There was a good chance the claim wouldn't have even gone through had it not been for the other party caving.

I wasn't even driving the bloody car. Imagine what would've happened if I was. Plus, if you're in Vic and get caught driving high powered, you'll lose your licence on the spot. 3 points for the power and 3 for the P plates, btw if you drive a car like that with P's, you won't make it out of your driveway.

Learn to drive a lowered car really hard first. Take a few driver training courses or get a motorbike. Best possible training ever. Your P's are a learning period.

Old 15-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #29
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just buy a car with lots of modding potential, theres no point in trying to get around the laws, they're pretty much watertight, grab an XR6, then when you get off you p's chuck on a turbo or something. or better yet just chuck a v8 into it ;)
Old 15-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #30
Shounak

It'd be easier to sell the 6 and buy an 8. Unless you're a mechanic with very good auto electrical skills and a crap load of spare time.

V8 conversions are very time consuming and require a lot more than just a motor.

Closed Thread