Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
BAXR6Ute
Starter Motor

Default Bargaining on Private sales

Hi Guys, first post.

I am currently looking at purchasing a BA XR6 Ute, I am planning on going the private sale route as I will get a RACV check and because they are fairly new.

What I am wondering is I am looking at utes priced from $24 to 26000, how much on average do you think that private sellers are willing to drop there price ?

Thanks for your help

BAXR6Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
mowog
Discovery 4

Depends on how keen they are to sell. Some will hold their price and others will cave in. Do the rounds of Car Sales Car Point and Drive as well as the local papers and check out the prices... Make sure you check for clear title on the car.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 10:42 AM   #3
alpineau

Hi

Welcome to the forums,

I suppose it depends on how willing they are to sell it, how much they might have already reduced the price of the car and how confidant they feel in selling the car at the price it is listed. I know when i sold my first car that i put 500 more then i wanted for it to use for bargaining, i was lucky managed to sell it for the extra 500. So try making an offer a little under the asking price and see how it pans out and be mindful of the market price so you don't pay to much

Cheers
Andrew
CURRENT - 2009 FG G6E BLUE 6 SPEED AUTO
alpineau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
TUF514
Banned

why should they have to?

i have sold plenty of cars and i hate people that show up and all they wanna do is screw you down.

i told a bloke to **** off as almost the first thing he said was " how low you gunna go? "

why dont you go and look at utes that are in your price range......
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpieez_xb_ute
why should they have to?

i have sold plenty of cars and i hate people that show up and all they wanna do is screw you down.

i told a bloke to **** off as almost the first thing he said was " how low you gunna go? "

why dont you go and look at utes that are in your price range......
I am trying to sell a car at the moment. They wont even come and look at it. The first question is "how low are you prepared to go" or I get calls form dealers and they expect me to bring the car to them so the can offer me peanuts for it.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
Cooper69S

some people think that if they don't get the price reduced then they're not getting a good deal. when i sold my BA ghia, i knew the price was good so wasn't prepared to budge. first he tried to get me to drop $1000, then $500 - no reason - he just wanted to pay less. i just said its a good car at a good price and don't want to take any less and he eventually just said ok.
however if you're buying you have to ask. don't ask don't get. if they don't want to drop the price they'll soon say so. just be reasonable and make sure you know how much other people are selling similar cars for - that's always a good bargaining tool...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 09:05 PM   #7
BAturb

for around that price you may even find an XR6T ute

Dyno figures are just Numbers!!!

Winner best Ford ute any model
07 Adelaide all Ford day
BAturb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
HOON69
Banned

depends on the vehicle etc the K's on it they body condition etc
rego?
etc etc etc

usually if they are 20-30K vehicles you can drop between 500-2-3k off the price if you get the right seller and always look fo the weak spot in what they say to you
when they say "im after ono or i need it gone this weekend etc" then you know you got some form of bargaining chip etc

i always haggle my sales both selling and buying ;)
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 01:52 PM   #9
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got $1300 off, resulting in a $23700 purchase 6 years ago. There were a couple of items I was concerned with and knocked $1500 off initially. Then I reckon his wife wasn't happy with him caving in so much and when I rang for the VIN, he made up some story about his wife liking the head unit in the car stereo and that would enable me to buy something better or pay $400 extra to keep it in the car. There was no holding deposit, as he didn't take one and I'd paid for the inspection and was pretty happy, so I met him halfway and offered $200. It was either that or risk some little thing go missing as a result of pi**ing him off. The other option I had was to tell him to shove the sale.

You can try and knock $2000-$3000 off the price they're asking, but if you get $1000 off, I'd be happy with that. People expect to be knocked down a little, only if you come up with a few big concerns regarding the car's condition after an inspection could you expect to get big chunks off the price.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are buying so the decision is how much you are prepared to pay and not how much of a reduction they are prepared to give.
Shop around and get a really good idea of what the price is.
NRMA has some good advice that applies to both private and dealer sales. It basically says to know the figure you are prepared to pay, offer less then see if the seller comes up close to your price. If they don't - walk away. You might fall in love with one particular car and think it is "the car for you" but will find others. It can just take time.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #11
XRQTOR
Banned

I sold a BF xr6 with ZF 6 speed auto, 18's & 12,oook's on it about a month ago for $25,ooo it was a WRO but was perfect when i sold it. I should have sold it for more but i just sold it to the first peron who offered me money on it as iv'e lost my licence and wasn't intrested in holdig on to it.

When i sold my old xr8 i refused to budge on my selling price, the guy said he loved the car and wanted it then tried to knock 3k off the price. HE saw my brand new Ba xr8 at the time and presumed i needed to sell. He left and rang me an hour later asking if i would consider his offer at all, i laughed and he said he would bring the full amount around the next day. Turned up at 9am with cash.

Last edited by XRQTOR; 02-12-2006 at 02:19 PM.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #12
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

bargain and haggle, but respect the seller's stance..

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post