Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default suicide by car

My Daughters old school friend was driving home the other night when 29 year old man jumped in front of his car on Hi way, no where to go and hit him bouncing him into the oncoming traffic where he was ran over again.
80KMH zone on outskirts of Hervey Bay ,turns out he stepped out in front of a few cars in minutes before with his friends trying to stop him who saw the whole thing.
terrible shock for all involved.

OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

That is bloody poor form. If you want to kill yourself, while its obviously sad, dont bring other people into FFS!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is so terrible.. The trauma your daughter's friend must be going through now would be unbearable. Just amazes me how people don't realise the consequences of their actions after they are gone.
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
That is so terrible.. The trauma your daughter's friend must be going through now would be unbearable. Just amazes me how people don't realise the consequences of their actions after they are gone.
I think if they thought about that, they wouldn't do it in the first place.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
I think if they thought about that, they wouldn't do it in the first place.
Quite the opposite I would have thought, most the time I doubt its a split second decision.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #6
MarkAW

People who are so depressed to attempt suicide arent capable of thinking of anything other than there own problems which is why they're suicidal in the first place.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #7
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is awful.. not only for the man's family and friends but for your daughters friend...
That is a terrible thing to try and live with, it is an awful selfish act but sadly those who want to commit suicide tend to not think of anyone but themselves and even if someone tried to reason with them, it wouldn't work.

I really feel for your daughters friend :(
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #8
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Quite the opposite I would have thought, most the time I doubt its a split second decision.
You would be surprised, a thought out sucide that is planned, gets to a point you step in front of the car, yes you have thought and decided to commit suicide, but the actual action of it is a do it or dont point is a split second, so why would you think geez the per person who hits might get devasted by this at that point, if you did you would probably back out.

Old 30-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
That is bloody poor form. If you want to kill yourself, while its obviously sad, dont bring other people into FFS!
Grissom loooking at faceplant off Vegas hotel - Not suicide, he's still got his glasses on. Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness. Anyone suiciding takes off their specs so they don't have to see.

Totally selfish act. Shows complete disregard for anyone else. Cruellest thing you could do to your friends family and innocent drivers.

Why can't people just go out and get ****ed and party when it all get's too hard anymore.
Life is short enough as it is, and way too precious. Instead Eat drink get merry and rock n' roll!
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #10
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm, i'll drive on the middle lane from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseterritory
Grissom loooking at faceplant off Vegas hotel - Not suicide, he's still got his glasses on. Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness.....
and ultimate cowardness no matter what the circumstances were.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #11
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you believe in god then it is considered the biggest sin to commit because he gave you life when others may not be so lucky and your willing to throw it back at him. your sent straight to hell. taking your life is cowardly and selfish. it hurts your family and friends and the people around to see it. i would have no remorse if i was the person who hit him because he was the coward who hit me and i wouldnt be able to avoid it.

it might be in the back of your daughters friends head but he really shouldnt be hard on himself, dont let it ruin his life. just be thankful that the mans selfishness didnt cause him phisical injury and the people around him any harm.
Old 30-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #12
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
And your such an expert on how people are feeling inside are you? Do you know what he was going through to make him do such a thing?
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #13
alesia
Banned

my uncle killed himself a few years ago , i was very close to him , its not that they are being selfish , its that they have tryed everything else to change the way they feel , and this is the last resort they feel they have no other way . my uncle in his note basically said that he thought he was helping everyone by leaving.
no one can judge what the person was thinking when he jumped in front of the car . all we know for sure is that he was mentally sick.
i do agree with some of the comments on here tho , if you are going to kill yourself dont screw up someone elses life when you do it .

just my 2cents
alesia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #14
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I want to step in here and just make sure that people who judge others on their posts be very careful on how you word any replies.

This issue may be close to the hearts of many, so I ask that you respect what people are saying and post with a level head

Last edited by Laminge; 30-11-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #15
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
if you believe in god then it is considered the biggest sin to commit because he gave you life when others may not be so lucky and your willing to throw it back at him. your sent straight to hell. taking your life is cowardly and selfish. it hurts your family and friends and the people around to see it. i would have no remorse if i was the person who hit him because he was the coward who hit me and i wouldnt be able to avoid it.

it might be in the back of your daughters friends head but he really shouldnt be hard on himself, dont let it ruin his life. just be thankful that the mans selfishness didnt cause him phisical injury and the people around him any harm.
To have no remorse is such harsh words and thoughts. To say you are a god botherer and have this attitude, well what can I say. Life can get damn hard for some and I will never understand it, nor by what you have said will you, but can only imagine what it would be like for everyone involved. From the one that starts it all to those that are left behind....its an issue bigger than a 'Ford Forum' can resolve.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #16
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseterritory
Totally selfish act. Shows complete disregard for anyone else. Cruellest thing you could do to your friends family and innocent drivers.

Why can't people just go out and get ****ed and party when it all get's too hard anymore.
Life is short enough as it is, and way too precious. Instead Eat drink get merry and rock n' roll!
Quote:
Both very closed minded comments.

Having been that close to the edge.....
I can safely say, you have no understanding of what that sort of depression is like.
(And with luck you never will)

Chopper says Harden the ***** up!..... well I can tell you now... It's not as easy or simple as that.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #17
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
Both very closed minded comments.

Having been that close to the edge.....
I can safely say, you have no understanding of what that sort of depression is like.
(And with luck you never will)

Chopper says Harden the ***** up!..... well I can tell you now... It's not as easy or simple as that.
The glass if half empty and no way will it ever fill up so why bother is the closet I can get to a why people can decide to do end it all from depression.

I always see the glass half full and I am thankful for that, more would be nice, but make the most of what you have.

Old 30-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #18
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
To have no remorse is such harsh words and thoughts. To say you are a god botherer and have this attitude, well what can I say. Life can get damn hard for some and I will never understand it, nor by what you have said will you, but can only imagine what it would be like for everyone involved. From the one that starts it all to those that are left behind....its an issue bigger than a 'Ford Forum' can resolve.
oh im by no means a preacher,im not very religious and im hardly the best person to listen to when it comes to religion but i do know that its a majour sin and if you commit it then its basically turning you back on god. there are people who dont have a faith so they arnt thinking of the afterlife they are just thinking of ending their pain here.
i suppose it is harsh to say i feel no remorse. if it was someone i loved then i would feel deeply depressed but also betrayed. i suppose to do such a thing you would have to be mentally ill but their is treatment and it should be seeked before putting your family, friends and people around you in such grief. i dont know for sure if there is a god or afterlife but if their isnt i would hate to have ended it early on such a sad note. sorry to anyone who was affected by suicide i hope my veiws havent offended
Old 30-11-2006, 01:26 PM   #19
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:

Not to many people are capable of taking their own life, it takes more than you think to be able to follow through with it.

When you sit there and really think about it i now see it as a weak way out, there's not to many mistakes in life that can't be fixed.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #20
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
oh im by no means a preacher,im not very religious and im hardly the best person to listen to when it comes to religion but i do know that its a majour sin and if you commit it then its basically turning you back on god. there are people who dont have a faith so they arnt thinking of the afterlife they are just thinking of ending their pain here.
i suppose it is harsh to say i feel no remorse. if it was someone i loved then i would feel deeply depressed but also betrayed. i suppose to do such a thing you would have to be mentally ill but their is treatment and it should be seeked before putting your family, friends and people around you in such grief. i dont know for sure if there is a god or afterlife but if their isnt i would hate to have ended it early on such a sad note. sorry to anyone who was affected by suicide i hope my veiws havent offended
let it be noted as well that it is written in the bible that God forgives all and loves all his children no matter what they do....

all i can say is that i hope god has mercy on this poor mans soul... and the young man that had to unfortunately endure such a trajedy that was forced upon him i hope he gets councelling and manages to come out of this alright.....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #21
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
The glass if half empty and no way will it ever fill up so why bother is the closet I can get to a why people can decide to do end it all from depression.

I always see the glass half full and I am thankful for that, more would be nice, but make the most of what you have.
Ah yes the simplistic "Glass half full/empty cliché".

When you feel like everything you touch turns to poo, that everyone is laughing at you behind your back....
Every little mistake just adds to the last one, until you don't want to be involved with anything or anyone....
Like you have no reason for being in this world and you feel maybe they (family & friends) would be better/happier if you were not around stuffing up all the time.

Everyone feels depressed from time to time, but cronic deep depression is a completely different level.
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
Quote:
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 30-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #22
photn
AFF Post NAZI

From what i have managed to gather about religion (this is my personal opinion. and no way is intended to offend others) is that Religion in general was created by some one very smart. it was created to give hope to people. i think that very early on people realised what is there to really live for. you are born you work all your life. then you die. big woop... but religion was created to give people something to live for, like life after death...so as such that people lived there lives out to fullest they can and take every opportunity they can knowing that there life will continue once they fall...

sorry for the off topic post. just sorta felt i needed to right that (thread brings up memories of ware i used to live, guy across the road was gunned down in his drive way, guy 2 doors down commited suicide by hanging in his garage, and guy next door died from a heart attack, all in the space of a couple of months)

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #23
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it makes you wonder why there hasnt been anything new in religion for 2000 years.
Old 30-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #24
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
Ah yes the simplistic "Glass half full/empty cliché".

When you feel like everything you touch turns to poo, that everyone is laughing at you behind your back....
Every little mistake just adds to the last one, until you don't want to be involved with anything or anyone....
Like you have no reason for being in this world and you feel maybe they (family & friends) would be better/happier if you were not around stuffing up all the time.

Everyone feels depressed from time to time, but cronic deep depression is a completely different level.
Yes I know it's simplistic, but sometimes beaking things down to a simple level makes it easier to understand.

When I look at things I see solutions not problems, so I have a hard time understanding depression.

Old 30-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #25
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Yes I know it's simplistic, but sometimes beaking things down to a simple level makes it easier to understand.

When I look at things I see solutions not problems, so I have a hard time understanding depression.
Correct! You see it the way most (well 75%) people see it.

I've been on both sides of the coin.

It is a disease. The same way drinking or drugs can trap people depression can too.

It is not something you can just stop. I have days where I struggle.
Others where I'm fine.

D
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Old 30-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #26
peedee

Mental illness is a very poorly diagnosed disease, and there are a lot of people out there who suffer it. It is not only hard on the person suffering it but also their family and friends. To a lot of the people with major clinical depression both diagnosed and undiagnosed suicide is the only option they see available to them. Unfortunately it has a major impact on their loved ones and friends, and anyone who may unwittingly be involved in the act of helping them to suicide or discover thier body. I knew someone who was deeply religeous and commited suicide by hanging himself in the laundry at home, was found by his wife and his two young children, that is what is the cruelest part of this type of illnesss...... As far as religon is concerned score another long termer for my father lucifer (son666).I was brought up in a religeous family but due to being forced I now call myself the son of the devil, and do suffer from depression but have help to control it with medication, although there are times when it feels as though it does nothing
peedee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #27
alesia
Banned

my uncle was a great guy , he was only 6 years older then me (im 18)he was a great guy about 600 people turned up to the funeral , none of us had any indication that he was even depressed , he had been thinking about it for a long long time and covered it up without missing a beat . alot of planning went into his he hung himself in his lounge being a builder knew the beams that would support him etc.

it is poorly diagnosed but it is also hard to do so , you have people that are a complete mess on the outside , and then you also have the people that cover their illness up so well that you wouldnt knwo they had a problem in the world .
alesia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #28
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad news for all involved. I agree here that those who do this often don't think of the consequences and it's a split second decision. Depression takes over.
I do, however, think that if the consequences of this sort of action are discussed then maybe they will become ingrained so that "something" takes over when people think of doing this.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #29
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my mates killed himself a few weeks ago. Was a very very hard time for anyone who knew him. He jumped off a bridge onto a train track where the train proceeded to, well you know..

It was very hard to hear my mate could do this but then i thought of the poor train drivers.. How could they move on from this.

My old man used to be HR manager of the railways for many years, and the amount of people who have commited suicide this way is amazing and the amount of drivers who have suffered and had to deal with what just happened..

With all this said, i cant imagine how your daughters friend would be feeling. I felt helpless when i went through this but the way he was involved would of been terrible..

I am very sorry to hear mate..

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #30
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
As do most people, but some things derive little benefit from a solution based focus. To address a problem, we must first understand its nature.

When a mental illness is being driven by a physical aspect (chemical levels), its simply not possible for someone to just change their outlook on life. As simple a soultion as it may appear to someone not afflicted.... its not something that will change without the help of friends, family and medical professionals.

Promoting this mindset and changing the attitudes towards depression is indeed a key challenge for the experts in this field (see http://www.beyondblue.org.au/ for more on this).

So as "****y" as it may sound, attitudes and awareness are so very, very important if we are to help those in need to find help.