Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: do you have insurance
NO I cant afford it 82 7.63%
NO insurance wont touch me the driver 22 2.05%
NO insurance dont like my car too many mods etc 35 3.26%
NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #511
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not taking anything personally. I just have experience in an area that it looks like others have none. All I'm doing is pointing out the facts of life/real world.

It's not just modified cars that can't be insured. Even stock vehicles can be difficult to insure. As insurers have age brackets for particular cars blah blah.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 01-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #512
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
....It's not just modified cars that can't be insured. Even stock vehicles can be difficult to insure. As insurers have age brackets for particular cars blah blah.
I agree with you there. :

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 01-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #513
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not taking anything personally. I just have experience in an area that it looks like others have none. All I'm doing is pointing out the facts of life/real world.

It's not just modified cars that can't be insured. Even stock vehicles can be difficult to insure. As insurers have age brackets for particular cars blah blah.
Good points you raise re not being insurable, whether its the driver or car there is still not much some people can do.
I started this thread mainly due to people being tightrrses or thinking they will never have a crash that is deemed their fault. ( i ran up the back of a car with My motorbike, automatically my fault according to the cops.)
Old 01-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #514
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankdx
i ran up the back of a car with My motorbike, automatically my fault according to the cops.
This is the case and it is so easy to be liablr for a motor accident, whether u think you are or not. If found at fault you will have to pay. That simple.

So if you are in the 'uninsurable braket' do what you need to be be insurable, sooner the better.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 02-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #515
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
...So if you are in the 'uninsurable braket' do what you need to be be insurable, sooner the better.
here here :

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 02-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #516
VSSII

Ok, my bad. I only read about the last 10 pages so this may have already been mentioned. I am yet to see anyone mention anything other that the replacement cost of material possessions. What if you seriously injure a person and are found to be negligent? Now there's some big dollars for the uninsured peanuts.
Also, from previous experience theres nothing that boils the blood more than having some uninsured eejit run into your car knowing they don't have 2 bob to rub together. It's very reassuring to forward his info onto the insurance company and basically say, "Fix my car, you want your money? You go chase him." Let them do the leg work.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #517
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
Ok, my bad. I only read about the last 10 pages so this may have already been mentioned. I am yet to see anyone mention anything other that the replacement cost of material possessions. What if you seriously injure a person and are found to be negligent? Now there's some big dollars for the uninsured peanuts.
Also, from previous experience theres nothing that boils the blood more than having some uninsured eejit run into your car knowing they don't have 2 bob to rub together. It's very reassuring to forward his info onto the insurance company and basically say, "Fix my car, you want your money? You go chase him." Let them do the leg work.
If there is anyone injured. Usually 3rd party bodily insurance you pay in your rego payments would cover this. But yes having the piece of mind from having full comp is handy when you personally find it hard to chase someone without insurance.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 02-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #518
61sg
Starter Motor

I started this thread mainly due to people being tightrrses or thinking they will never have a crash that is deemed their fault. ( i ran up the back of a car with My motorbike, automatically my fault according to the cops.)[/QUOTE]

Well good on you for starting this thread deankdx. i hope it has prompted a few uninsured people to change their minds who were avoiding it due to expense or laziness.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #519
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Insurance companies descriminate/decide whether you get insurance, not individuals. Can you get your head around that?

I can only think if you cannot find an inusrer is you have not looked hard enough. Why stop at the local insurers? Find a broker that has affiliations with overseas insurers like Loyds Of London.

Fact: There is no risk you cannot inusre for the correct premium. If you have that much trouble with local insurers as I say go to the insurer of the insurance companies, I garuntee you will get insurance.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:05 PM   #520
Jase
-Village Idiot-

What car would you have that would make you uninsureable?

I have my car insured as a Turbo El, 21 y/o driver, 2 at fault claims, and a list of driving offences-relatively minor though
Old 03-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #521
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase
What car would you have that would make you uninsureable?

I have my car insured as a Turbo El, 21 y/o driver, 2 at fault claims, and a list of driving offences-relatively minor though
Some vehicle that make it hard to insure, Imports, WRX , some HSV's, XR's, basically anything that would be a high risk.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 03-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #522
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Some vehicle that make it hard to insure, Imports, WRX , some HSV's, XR's, basically anything that would be a high risk.
That would be anything remotely 'sporty' looking.

For example: a Hyundai Tiburon or a 90's for capri. Not powerful beyond any means, yet the insurance companies view them as 2 door 'sports' cars. pffft what a joke. So they hike the insurance beyond buggery because it has 2 doors and it 'looks sporty', what a load of crap. Also anything in the 'sports' category of brand names is regarded a liability to them. XR, WRX, SS, GT, it labels like those that give them the feeling of uneasiness.

My mum had a Toyota Celica. Ok for a 2L NA but because it was a '2 door', it was classed in the 'sports category' and she was in a different insurance bracket. It was ridiculous. From $450 pa to $900pa. It wasn't dangerous in any way, but they deemed it to be a liability.

Call me cynical but it really bothers me when you get discriminated because of their ingorance and lack of vehicle knowledge. :jab:

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #523
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
That would be anything remotely 'sporty' looking.

For example: a Hyundai Tiburon or a 90's for capri. Not powerful beyond any means, yet the insurance companies view them as 2 door 'sports' cars. pffft what a joke. So they hike the insurance beyond buggery because it has 2 doors and it 'looks sporty', what a load of crap. Also anything in the 'sports' category of brand names is regarded a liability to them. XR, WRX, SS, GT, it labels like those that give them the feeling of uneasiness.

My mum had a Toyota Celica. Ok for a 2L NA but because it was a '2 door', it was classed in the 'sports category' and she was in a different insurance bracket. It was ridiculous. From $450 pa to $900pa. It wasn't dangerous in any way, but they deemed it to be a liability.

Call me cynical but it really bothers me when you get discriminated because of their ingorance and lack of vehicle knowledge. :jab:
bit of topic but that dihatsu copen is also banned for P platers because of power to weight ratios HAHA

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
Old 19-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #524
slloyd

I had no insurance on my EF because I owned it outright, but I had insurance on it when I was paying off the personal loan on it. Now I am paying off a personal loan on my BA XR6, I have it insured.

I dont like the prospect of paying off a loan and having nothing to show for it, but I am willing to take the risk if I owe nothing on the car.
Old 19-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #525
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slloyd
I had no insurance on my EF because I owned it outright, but I had insurance on it when I was paying off the personal loan on it. Now I am paying off a personal loan on my BA XR6, I have it insured.

I dont like the prospect of paying off a loan and having nothing to show for it, but I am willing to take the risk if I owe nothing on the car.
What would you have done if you did $20,000 damage to a car you hit?
Old 19-09-2006, 07:02 PM   #526
slloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankdx
What would you have done if you did $20,000 damage to a car you hit?
I drive like a grandma, so I feel its an acceptable risk. I live in Newcastle, where road accidents are really only caused by people who drive like fools, or Sydney drivers on holidays.
Old 19-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #527
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
I drive like a grandma, so I feel its an acceptable risk. I live in Newcastle, where road accidents are really only caused by people who drive like , or Sydney drivers on holidays.
NO NO NO, havent you learned anything. 3000 posts 600 pages and you still dont get it. If you own and drive a car/vehicle on the road, GET INSURANCE, please.
Old 19-09-2006, 09:48 PM   #528
El_Poochino

I will always have at least 3rd party.

I had an accident, car had 3rd party. The insurance company didn't send out debt collecter for the $800 premium while the claim was sorted, which gave me some breathing room. Which was much better than having a debt collector banging on the door within 2 weeks demanding $2500.

Sure I still have to deal with my own car but I can do than whenever. But $800 verus $2500, thats a hard choice. It could of been $800 v $120,000 if I wrote off a merc.

I can't justify the risk for the sake of getting a few mods early for arguments sake.
Old 20-09-2006, 01:25 AM   #529
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Ok , I've had a quick look back but someone may have mentioned this .....but I didn't see it. What if it goes like this :-

Driver "A" Drives his much loved set of wheels down the street & has it covered 3rd party only. (we have one car on 3rd party , other has Comp.)

Driver "B" Drives his UNinsured car & hits Driver "A" & does $6,000 damage.

"Who Pays"..."A" didn't hit anyone so his insurance won't pay up & he can't afford to go to court. "B" has no Insurance ? ? ?

I know I couldn't afford to pay the repairs to my car if someone uninsured hit it ......How fair is that ?

My 19 y/o daughter can get full Ins. on a Laser with Alloys , spoilers & modified exhaust , you've got to shop around.

No Insurance , leave your car in the shed ...not everyone can afford comprehensive , but at least get 3rd party .

Think of others as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(hope you follow what I mean)

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Old 20-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #530
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I had comprehensive insurance on both cars but didn't have all mods listed - mostly because I knew insurance would be cancelled if I did. Most mods that would have voided the insurance were done in the last insurance year, so when renewal time came, I did the right thing and rang Shannons. Both cars are now properly covered, with every mod listed (including the BA pedals, even), and the insurance was only $150 per annum dearer than I what I paid last year, though worked out about the same as what this year's renewals came in at from the previous company.

So while I've always had insurance, now I REALLY have the right insurance.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 20-09-2006, 04:22 AM   #531
GREGXR8
SHOCKWAVE MK11 BA XR8

i've got full comp on both. the xr8 has agreed value, nominated driver and no drivers under 25. the xf is covered for $1800 (i only paid $800 for it). but if it hit a new car (bf xt for example) the $800 work hack suddenly becomes a 20-30k debt. just bought an xe van thats getting full comp too.
Old 20-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #532
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:

Quote:
I drive like a grandma, so I feel its an acceptable risk. I live in Newcastle, where road accidents are really only caused by people who drive like fools, or Sydney drivers on holidays.
Mate tell me ya joking. No one would say this stuff seriuosly.

What if you avoid hitting a dog on the road and side swipe a BA or VX?
Old 20-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #533
dzynafalcon
Grafik Dzyna

No way would I drive a car without insurance of some form. It's just not worth the risk in my opinion. My first car was an old mazda ute, worth maybe $600 if lucky, and the stupid insurance company wanted nearly $2000 for full comp! i laughed and got 3rd party. still cost me $400 per year, but i still paid it despite putting myself through uni. now im only paying $550 for full comp on my falcon.

Over in America, every car on the road MUST have insurance (worth $1000 US) despite whether the car is worth it or not. If caught without insurance, there is a hefty fine. maybe something like that could work over here...

If you're arguing that you cant afford insurance because you are a student/on the dole etc, stop spending money on booze, smokes and hookers and get your priorities straight. then you can think about getting onto the road.
Old 21-09-2006, 03:48 AM   #534
slloyd

Quote:
Mate tell me ya joking. No one would say this stuff seriuosly.

What if you avoid hitting a dog on the road and side swipe a BA or VX?

If you are too slow to calculate the choice between hitting a car or hitting a dog, or not observant enough to see the car, then it is your own fault.
Old 21-09-2006, 11:37 AM   #535
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
If you are too slow to calculate the choice between hitting a car or hitting a dog, or not observant enough to see the car, then it is your own fault.
You are not serious. You can't be. So I will laugh with you.
Old 21-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #536
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
to put a different spin on it, how would you feel if an uninsured driver Hit your uninsured car and could only pay $5 a week for damage
Old 21-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #537
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
You are joking arent you.That is why they are called ACCIDENTS, because people do not plan these things.They just happen and suddenly.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #538
jack_crowley

i can see the argument for no insurance needed for a farm ute (aside from ctp of course) that's only used on your own property in a remote rural area, but otherwise you'd have to be a bloody idiot to not have insurance.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #539
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I have 3rd party property with fire and theft on the sprint but for full comp i'm being asked for $3500-4000 a year which is a joke i'd much rather keep that 3500-4000 and if the time comes that i do have an accident that money can then be used to repair the car and i might still come out on top.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #540
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Driver "A" Drives his much loved set of wheels down the street & has it covered 3rd party only. (we have one car on 3rd party , other has Comp.)

Driver "B" Drives his UNinsured car & hits Driver "A" & does $6,000 damage.

"Who Pays"..."A" didn't hit anyone so his insurance won't pay up & he can't afford to go to court. "B" has no Insurance ? ? ?
The correct answer is the insurance company for driver "A" pays for the repairs, then seeks recovery from Driver "B", provided that Driver "A" can provide their insurance company with the details of the at-fault driver (Name, address, drivers license number, date, time and location of the incident). Although it could also depend on the value of the damaged car, if it's worth well less then the $6,000 damage they may decide it's uneconomic to repair and pay out the agreed value of the car instead, and then recover the money from the uninsured driver.

I know this because I had 3rd party on my car and it got hit, and I was able to claim through my insurer. I also work in the insurance industry now (have done for nearly a month now), and know how it works behind the scenes.
Closed Thread