Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: do you have insurance
NO I cant afford it 82 7.63%
NO insurance wont touch me the driver 22 2.05%
NO insurance dont like my car too many mods etc 35 3.26%
NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #331
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
LOL @ PirtekGirl76.

This to most people is probably not gunna make sense.

The FSRA thing about being a factual insurer does not mean you cannot offer advice in your private life, just not to clients that call whilst you are at work.
That was my idea of witty Insurance banter - glad to see someone got it!

Unfortunately I am well and truly aware of the ins and outs of the damn FSRA. Life was much easier before it was introduced. I deal with clients face to face and the majority of them are of non english speaking background and they constantly ask for my opinion or ask what does everyone else do and when I say I cannot give them advice they get upset. But hey, it just means you have to be a little more creative with the way you explain things!
Old 08-10-2005, 08:39 AM   #332
efgiar
rofl copter

for me to get insurance, with the new car, it would be a fortune because, ef ghia, body kit, elgt scoop, lowered mags, tickford motor, tint, leather the full works and i would rather full comp and if i do end up havin an accident (i hope i dont its not good) i would have to pay the firstt 2,500 bucks because i am 18 still... now how ferkin stupid is that! thats the whole point of insurance!! pay by the week and get ya car fixed, tools. but thats just my opinion

thats all
Old 09-10-2005, 07:43 AM   #333
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302fairlane
for me to get insurance, with the new car, it would be a fortune because, ef ghia, body kit, elgt scoop, lowered mags, tickford motor, tint, leather the full works and i would rather full comp and if i do end up havin an accident (i hope i dont its not good) i would have to pay the firstt 2,500 bucks because i am 18 still... now how ferkin stupid is that! thats the whole point of insurance!! pay by the week and get ya car fixed, tools. but thats just my opinion

You should have at least third party property insurance, even if the excess (the amount you pay toward a claim) is $2500.
Excesses are there for very good reason not to bleed the customer in fact they are to help the customer. By making an amount that is mandatory to pay towards a claim (standard excess) it takes away the minor stupid claims.
For instance the shopping trolley dent. If there was no excess on a policy everyone would claim these types of things and it would force the premiums up. Those companies that do offer a Nil excess charge like an extra $175 on top of the standard premium anyway, pay that once or twice and you have just paid your excess towards a claim. Also the introduction of a maximum no claim bonus for life does not work with a nil excess because the customer does not drop a rating making the renewal premium more expensive.
Age excess's once again are a major deterrent to stop younger drivers driving stupidly and taking away the smaller claims once again helping the other customers that are not such a bad risk keep thier premiums fair also.

So in conclusion $2500 is not a very life changing expense as having to pay the repairs of another vehicle if your at fault. You could be liable for thousands and perhaps millions without even worrying about your car being fixed. I have seen unisured people making payment plans over 20 or 30 years to pay for the damage they caused. Now if these same people had at least third party property damage insurance they would have to pay thier excess and pay to repair or replace thier own car, and not have to worry about the thousands and thousands of dollars damage they caused. Forget running into the back of a BMW, even replacing a written off Pulsar is $20000, next to $2500 its pretty cheap I reckon!!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 09:06 AM   #334
LTDHO
The one and only

I just had a smash in my Suzuki. (it happends)
Anyway for $450 (my excess, $2500 in your case) I had my car fixed $1000 and the other car fixed $4000. I reckon I got a bargan. When else do you get $5000 for $450??
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 12-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #335
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

I had a lot of trouble finding insurance, only because of the fact that I am 18, with a V8...

The insurance companies fail to realise, that my car weighs around 1800kg, with only 165kW... (a perfect recipe for hard acceleration eh?)

now, if for example i went out and bought a BF I6 with a six speed auto, i would have a car with a much higher power to weight ratio... And yet the insurance companies would have no problem what-so-ever... Just because its a 6

I feel as though i was being discriminated against, souly on the fact that I am a male p-plater with a V8... Yes, statistically im a killer behind the wheel (which kinda justifies the higher premiums) but the simple fact as, that ANY car is a leathal weapon in the hands of an inexperianced driver... people tend to kill themselves just as easily in honda civics and hyundai excels as they do in XR8/SS/whatever... So why the blatent refusal for nothing more than 3rd party?

Thankfully just car insurance had no problem insuring me, because im not goin out there without insurance...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 08-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #336
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Insurance is #1, i even insured my PDA which is only worth 600 bucks. Our house & contents are WAY over insured, and cars are insured for agreed value.

The only thing i dont have insured is my health, life and income. Personally i think life insurance is a bad thing - but each to their own.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #337
aualright

Idiots who can't afford 3rd party property shouldn't get a car. Problem is if they ever get in an accident they claim bankruptcy and don't ever pay or just pay a measly $5 per week.

The irony is that the crap cars these types of people have are MORE likely to be in an accident.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #338
Drive XR7
American Muscle

Heh.. it's against the law to drive without insurance here in the states.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #339
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive XR7
Heh.. it's against the law to drive without insurance here in the states.
what does the insurance cover?
our registration includes insurance that covers personal injury(to a person injured by a registred vehicle) provided that they are not drunk, car is registred and driver is licenced.

the insurance i asked about is for damage to property, whether that be the proverbial mercedes or other property.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:11 AM   #340
Drive XR7
American Muscle

Liability is required by law (if you hit another car, you must have insurance to pay for their damages). Collision or comprehensive (acts of God, fire, theft, etc) is additional.

Amazingly there are still some people who drive without insurance. Hefty fines and jail time are the result of getting busted without insurance.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:25 AM   #341
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive XR7
Liability is required by law (if you hit another car, you must have insurance to pay for their damages). Collision or comprehensive (acts of God, fire, theft, etc) is additional.

Amazingly there are still some people who drive without insurance. Hefty fines and jail time are the result of getting busted without insurance.
That is how it should be also.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 11-11-2005, 06:19 PM   #342
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was always had insurance as my safety blanket just incase something happens. Well now when i uninsure my car, if i don't fond an insurance comapny to insure me at a good price ill be putting it under my dads name so i can ssave. The only reason why the car will become insured is because i will be driving it along the coast of Victoria and NSW.

But after the way i have been treated by a certain insurance company, i have been turned off insuring my car. They are money hungry p#*$^s who don't deserve our money. My car was involed in a stack. Open closed case its the others party's fault. But somehow its my fault. But it doesn't stop there. My dad was driving the car at the time and he is not covered under the EB. When we told them that it was because the damage on her car was $700 less, they said it wasn't. Cops, panel beaters and lawyers all say its her fault. I don't believe in insurance companies in Australia and all over the world, as they prey on the poor and think they can play us around as they like. Well my insurance company has recieved a hard time from myself and my father and I don't blame people for not insuring their goods. I have a $1600 bill left waving over my head and a car i caned myself to save money for two years and this is the return they give my family, after my dad has never made a clame in 33 years.

Bill.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:27 PM   #343
gozza

yeah well i heard a story of how this person rolled his car on mount nebo....accidental.....anywho there was channel news up there and photographed his totalled car including good veiws of the tyres....cut a long story short the insurance company said his insurance was void cos he bald tyres......funny thing was he had picture proof that he had different tyres at the time of the crash....wtf is going on here....insurance people must have switched his tyres....make you think
Old 11-11-2005, 08:54 PM   #344
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
yeah well i heard a story of how this person rolled his car on mount nebo....accidental.....anywho there was channel news up there and photographed his totalled car including good veiws of the tyres....cut a long story short the insurance company said his insurance was void cos he bald tyres......funny thing was he had picture proof that he had different tyres at the time of the crash....wtf is going on here....insurance people must have switched his tyres....make you think
Insurance people don't get the chance, if they were switched it was the smash repairer or towie.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:04 PM   #345
HLC
Audi S3

ive got comprehensive and i wouldnt even consider driving if i wasnt covered. that being said... Insurance dont really want to touch me, or if they do, for a great price... im 18, one write off and a driving offence too my name.. not the best record at that age.. plus if i touch my car with even basic mods, i can wave insurance goodbye.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:57 PM   #346
JD86
DELANY

yeh i just have 3rd party
Old 13-11-2005, 02:23 AM   #347
tick5.0
Want some classic?

I had to pick up an XC i bought today, before i left i organized 3rd party cover. You can drive as cautiously as you want but there are other people on the road you can't control. When i bought the XR8 it was just over 2k a year for full comp due to my age, with not a lot of companies willing to cover me, but if you can't afford to loose it don't risk it i say.
EF II XR8, Supercharged manual *** FOR SALE ***
XC Falcon, waiting for the Clevo & C4 - Sold
AE101 Corolla, the daily - Sold
SII RX-7, original - Sold
BF II GT
Alfa Romeo 156 JTS, the new daily
Z31 300ZX Turbo
Old 13-11-2005, 02:27 AM   #348
XD-Machine
proud xd owner

if you are smart you dont need to insure if you have a car valued 8or 10 g even. Think about it whats the chances you are going to crash (its pritty low for most drivers). Now if you take the money you would pay out to the insurance eg 5000 a yr, and invest that 5000 in stocks (got to no what you are doing you can easily make 20% a yr, and the younger the better) or in a savers bank like ING (this is a sure 5% interest, no brainer way of doing it). Now if you actully have a crash lets just say in your 3rd year, you could have 15000 + interest made to cover your damages. Lets say you get to 25 without a crash ( i am sure alot of ppl can say that) you could have 40g + interest earned which is enough to buy a new car, put a deposit on a house ect. The insurance companies make money for a reason, more ppl dont claim then claim. dont be a sucker.

My XD's progress http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20847
Old 13-11-2005, 08:44 AM   #349
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD-Machine
if you are smart you dont need to insure if you have a car valued 8or 10 g even. Think about it whats the chances you are going to crash (its pritty low for most drivers). Now if you take the money you would pay out to the insurance eg 5000 a yr, and invest that 5000 in stocks (got to no what you are doing you can easily make 20% a yr, and the younger the better) or in a savers bank like ING (this is a sure 5% interest, no brainer way of doing it). Now if you actully have a crash lets just say in your 3rd year, you could have 15000 + interest made to cover your damages. Lets say you get to 25 without a crash ( i am sure alot of ppl can say that) you could have 40g + interest earned which is enough to buy a new car, put a deposit on a house ect. The insurance companies make money for a reason, more ppl dont claim then claim. dont be a sucker.
That is stupidity, not smarts.
Why do you think even 3rd party property insurance offers $20,000,000.00
liability?????
Answer cause you never know how much an accident could cost you.
I suggest you read the rest of the thread to understand.
You run into the back of a BMW, you could easily be in over $10,000 debt for a minor accident. You also have to account for the few thousand dollars in air bags that need replacing after an accident, that without even looking at your car. As for your probabilty of not many drivers having an accident you once again could not be more wrong. Even the most cautious of drivers get caught out. water or oil on the road and suddenly loss of control around a corner you could end up in someones loungeroom. I'm sure your above equations would not cover the costs of that.

I was looking at the anual report of the company I work for.
78 cents in every dollar taken as premium was paid out in claims last year.
(motor insurance)

Last edited by Yaw; 13-11-2005 at 08:50 AM.
Old 13-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #350
LTDHO
The one and only

What Yaw said is right, the old "What happens if you hit a BMW" is not a scare tactic. It happens. I have seen many claims settled for 30, 40, 50 up to 80K plus expences.

Let me see if you can turn around 80k on the stocks within a few years!

People average 2 at fault accidents in their life. Lucky ones hit old corollas, but hitting a BA XT will still cost you $25k!!

Also, imagine hitting a taxi.
You have to pay the taxi company lost earnings while the cab is off the road. Same as a courier, hire car, limo, truck, etc. All this is paid by insurance, if you have it.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 15-11-2005, 04:14 PM   #351
Jase
-Village Idiot-

Well Im driving without insurance now, despite me saying its stupid.

Will try sort out atleast 3rd party soon but.

For my XD they would only insure it at "market value" which is between 1700 and 2544.

The premium for comprehensive is 750 a year.

3rd party fire and theft 450

3rd part only 300

Excesses are killer
Age excess, previous claim excess, driving record excess = $1600 :S

Anoyone who can do the math can see comprehesive and 3rd ire'theft are a waste of money. Pretty rediculas really

Add the fact that Im a student who only works 0- 2 days a week, owes centrelink money becasue of there own incompetence, and has a car loan, money is tight atm.
Should get better soon with new job but, thank !
Old 15-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #352
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
that is quite possibly the stupidest thing i have read in a long time.

what if you cause a head on writing off your car and the other car, and injure someone. all within your first year of driving. why do you think insurance is dearer for under 25's. inexperience. dont risk it. i wrote off my ED at 17. it was insured for 6300. just last august. i already had my new car paid for (i was trading the ED in) and at the end of it all i made $2400 out of it all, and an AU2 fairmont. but yeah. driving without insurance is ridiculous.
Old 15-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #353
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have more chance of people crashing into me than me crashing into them. I cover 40,000k's minimum per year and a maximum of 90,000k's.

Track record?

* 1 accident 12 years ago 3mths after I got my license.
* 1 person running into me wiping out the driverside of my car in 2000.

My wifes track record?

* Her : 10 garage : 0 she keeps parking against the damn door! Once she even wedged me between the garage door and the car in the garages bumper. Could have broke my legs!
* Never caused an accident ever.
* 2 people have ran into here though over 12 years.

It's much easier to have your insurance to chase the idiot who ran into you. Trust me there.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 15-11-2005, 06:20 PM   #354
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
if you are smart
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Sorry you have disqualified yourself from the rest of your post! Francine! Tell our contestant what he has won!

"Well Sourbastard, he has won a free labotomy courtesy of our sponsors, Dumbass, Moron and Tard Incorporated!"

{Audience Applauds}

Stay tuned next week for another episode of "Idiots say the darndest things!"

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 15-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #355
Pik0

wow thats got to be one of the stupidest things ever, so you lose concentation and run into the back of a $400,000 turbo porsche, well that 15000 will get you a long way into paying that off... its stupid mate, dont risk it and i hope im never get near you when im on the road...
Coming Soon:
Lowering
Old 16-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #356
Swordie

There is a name for people who don't drive with insurance. Anyone guess?
Old 17-11-2005, 04:00 AM   #357
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie
Uninsured driver?
Old 17-11-2005, 09:04 AM   #358
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie
Yes there is, but language like that will get you banned from the forums!!

:thebirds:
Old 17-11-2005, 10:33 PM   #359
dvk
running from explosions

Third party property should be compulsory.
Old 17-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #360
Yummy Mummy

I just paid $700 for full comp insurance for my car. I would never even dream of getting on the road without insurance.

My sister was involved in a fatal accident and didn't have insurance. Whilst it was the other drivers fault, she cracked it cos she had to wait until the coroners report etc before the other insurance company would pay the claim. If she had insurance, her company would have paid for her car and then got the money back later. Would have saved her months of not having another car, and my parents money on buying her a car until the insurance paid up. Stupid, stupid girl......still hasn't learnt though.
Closed Thread