Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

Default nsw green slip

howdy all.. whats with the fricken green slip prices in nsw??? my xb ute had qld rego so i had to do blue slip.. anyway, did that so it's time to pay green slip for rego..
online quotes the cheapest i found was gio for approx 477... nrma was about 10 dollars different..
so i head off into the shopping centre to the nrma branch as i thought 10 bucks no big deal..
they quoted me 570 dollars for the green slip on an xb ute. when they asked the age of the youngest driver i said me.. 35 years old.
oh dear she says, it bumped up another 100 dollars.. nearly 700 for a green slip? you kidding??? no she said..
no thanks i said. went to gio and paid 540.

i thought about this with nrma. when i went to insure my ute, they quoted me nearly a grand a year with 4000 value.
i paid more i say's and have a receipt.. they said no matter they can only go from their computers...
'computer say's no...'
shannons insured it for 8k, no q's, no pics, no nothing. and cheaper yearly too..300 to be exact...

so here's me thinking about the green slip again..

it's their way of saying f off, we're not interested..bump the prices up to scare people away....

is it me or is this story true facts????
our ef fairmont ghia is with nrma so this has spun me out a bit...

motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Boosh Brus

Green slip prices are just ridiculous the cheapest I could find was over $600.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

On top of that what is rego worth?
Old 29-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

NRMA Insurance (not to be confused with NRMA Roadside Assistance, Travel, vehicle inspections, etc) is owned by Insurance Australia Group. IAG also owns CGU in NSW, and other insurers in other states.

IAG is known for being somewhat predatory in their grab for cash. It was IAG that started the idea of towing damaged cars to a central holding point and then getting the repairers to quote on repairs after little more than a cursory glance. This practice was in the Sydney Daily Telegraph saying that it was possible to repair a damaged Camira (this was a few years ago) for a song. Only in the fine print, and not quoted by the other repairers, was it said that second hand parts from a wrecker were used.

Anything owned by Insurance Australia Group I will avoid like the plague.
Old 29-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

One of the guys at work got his green slip renewal the other day, for an ex taxi AU, with him at 40+ years old as the youngest driver.... $695.

We now go through a broker for the greenslips on our buses, and so we've started to go through him for our private cars too.
Got a quote for $590 from him on the same car, so he took it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rego and greenslip prices are out of control.
So rather then lower the price the RTA introduce 3, 6 and 12 month payment options.
I renewed yesterday for 6 months at $400. I should be paying that for a full year.
Its Highway Robbery.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Dallas my ute is $740 rego take off the $90 lease payment for my plates $650 add the green slip say $600, pink slip rego check $30 and the total to just register a ute for a year is $1280.00 and they wonder why people drive unregistered vehicles, on older vehicles (the type most P platers use) the green slips are more expensive than newer cars...due to vehicle age but I dont know what that has to do with 3rd party personal injury.
There are only about 6 greenslip insurers available but the prices can vary quite a lot pays to ring them all at renewal time.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

Your postcode has a massive effect on insurance as well.

Sadly I too am getting wallet raped by NRMA in both greenslip and comprehensive insurance. And only stayed with them this year because next year I'll get 65% no claim bonus for life haha. Shannons was way cheaper.

BUT, moving from a garaged unit in western Sydney to a carport in a suburb close to Perth cbd dropped my premium by $500 a year lol. Still paying $1000 on a 10 year old AU (ouch) but that's life.
Old 29-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

God i never realised it was so expensive down south

My TE was $950~ for one year, the XR5T is $808 (classed as a 6cyl) QLD goes on engine capacity ie cylinders and of course they wouldnt round down.

Utes are more expensive up here for some reason aswell, my 2IC has a VZ R8 Maloo and it was $1100~
Old 29-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Dallas my ute is $740 rego take off the $90 lease payment for my plates $650 add the green slip say $600, pink slip rego check $30 and the total to just register a ute for a year is $1280.00 and they wonder why people drive unregistered vehicles, on older vehicles (the type most P platers use) the green slips are more expensive than newer cars...due to vehicle age but I dont know what that has to do with 3rd party personal injury.
There are only about 6 greenslip insurers available but the prices can vary quite a lot pays to ring them all at renewal time.
I did. The variance was about $5 between all 6. I paid $330 last year and $670 this year, because 'my car is over 8 years old'. I said it was 9 years old last year. None of them had an answer.
Old 29-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I just greenslipped my 01 fairlane and, garaged outside of Mudgee with max no claim bonus on my insurance but still with 3 points lost, it came to $372 with AAMI. Is the difference between metro and regional that big that metro incurs a 80% premium over regional?
I'm bloody glad I'm going home to SA at the end of next month where CTP is rolled into and paid with your rego and there is only 2 regions, metro and non metro and everyone in each region pays the same regardless of infringements or driver age or NCP or any of the other crap they come up with.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

greenslip prices are an absolute joke - in vic rego (included CTP) was around $500 for 12months on a buzzbox, same car here in nsw $490 greenslip, $250 rego!!! motorists are getting shagged at the post in nsw lately

NSW prepare for more fake-plates, uninsured, unrego'd, unroadworthy cars on the roads

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

NRMA have lost the plot in the last couple of years.
After 15 years or so with NRMA, I opted to go with GIO (30% less premium, higher policy value) on
a comprehensive policy last year. The 'no-claim for life bonus' I had accumulated with NRMA still meant
SFA in terms of savings.

Looks like I'll be taking my green slip business elsewhere too.... !
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogInASock
Only in the fine print, and not quoted by the other repairers, was it said that second hand parts from a wrecker were used.
well, if i was repairing a car myself, i'd use parts from a wrecker...
unless it's a safety item or consumable, there's nothing wrong with used parts.
Old 30-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
DougM

Bikes are even worse off......250cc bike CTP went up by more than 80%!!!!!!!!!!! Isn't CTP for PERSONAL INJURY TO A THIRD PARTY????????? Are bikes now a weapon off mass destruction or something??????? How many "Third parties" get injured/killed by motorbike reiders???????????????
It's all a big cashgrab.......

As for NRMA........They put up our premium on my Wife's AU wagon from $800 to $1400 in one year!!!!!! And that's with 65% NCB and multipolicy discounts as we have all our other insurance policies with them.... What a load of rubbish......I changed her car to Shannons for $790 per year........No multipolicy discounts...........
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

$282 for CTP on the ute for business use, with QBE.
Country area, not city.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #17
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My greenslip last year was $396 through NRMA. When they sent me the renewal notice this year it was $722.

They had the rego date as 1st July instead of 30th June.

Just so happens that prices were increasing on the 1st July. When I spoke to them I told them online it was giving me a quote of $447. Her reply, Oh the database musn't have updated yet,

Ended up going with GIO $413. Go figure.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #18
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

also another note after getting the green slip.. went to the rta to pay for rego.
they now want a receipt of perchase, or a declaration signed from a jp that i owned it for ages and lost receipts, and also requested receipts of any repairs..i can understand them chasing up repairs due to many stolen cars for parts..(im guessing thats the case as she couldn't give me an answer apart from rta policy and rules).
this person was also a trainee so they were taking their authority very serious.. (it reminded me of kartman in south park being the cop..lol)

sounds like a massive system change as i remember not too long ago that rego was much cheaper and easier, even with blue slip procedures.

i've been overseas for the last 5 years and sheez i have notice alot of changes.. prices have gone up in a very bull crap percentage...
Old 31-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #19
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

Quote:
i think it depends on the car.. not sure but guessing.. my bike is cheaper in green slip and rego..
the ute was another 240 on top of the green slip.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #20
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i must have just gone up in the last couple of month's then..
i payed $370 for a green slip for 12 months through QBE
for my wife's car...its an 09 model if that makes a difference!
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #21
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Just got the renewal for greenslip from AAMI on the BA FPV ute driver 46YO no claims, not booked in last 4 years $599.78... thought WTF checked online calculator at RTA for comparisons just paid the renewal over the phone with QBE $393.00 a saving of over $200 or 1/3 less than AAMI this is almost as bad as the regular insurance where the premiums are a lottery

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #22
fg_nitro

I still wish I had my novated lease car the greenslip was 293 dollars for the year. Not impressed with how much they are gouging out of people now for rego and ctp. Someone is making a fortune.

Now that I dont have the lease car, renewal for FG was 550 dollars. with GIO.
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #23
DougM

I just had my renewal come in at $353 for 6 months with NRMA.......Online quote from QBE came in at $233............What a joke......They all say that the price is based on the amount of claims.....What i would like to know is their basis on ALL insurance claims or CTP liability claims......No one is saying......Is there any where to find this information out????

They just put up motorcycle CTP's by 80% on 250cc bikes.......They(insurance co's) say that it's because 250's have a higher rate of claims.........That may be so as there are so many more people riding small bikes/scooters for daily transport......But what proportion of "all these" claims are third party liability claims?????? CTP covers other parties only.......Not other vehicles/property.....It truly is price gouging......Record profits every year yet they put up premiums due to increasing costs.......IT IS A RORT..........
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #24
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
God i never realised it was so expensive down south

My TE was $950~ for one year, the XR5T is $808 (classed as a 6cyl) QLD goes on engine capacity ie cylinders and of course they wouldnt round down.

Utes are more expensive up here for some reason aswell, my 2IC has a VZ R8 Maloo and it was $1100~
Check the label, you may find that it is carrying commercial rego. Technically only there for loading zone parking legality, but now used by Queensland motorways to triple the cost of the tolls.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #25
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

You should try getting a Payout from NRMA car insurance. They dont like giving out money.

On the other hand though, I've had pretty good experience with NRMA Home insurance.
Everything but one item was taken care of quickly, and that wasnt NRMAs fault (for the late item). Easy to deal with.

But for Car insurance I wouldnt bother.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #26
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just got a CTP quote for my new XR6T yes T , country area, 2 over 50's, lowest GIO @ 325 highest AAMI @ 352. NRMA has just quoted 952 for comprehensive and Coles insurance 746 includes my under 25 son or 644 without but still includes an occasional driver. Quote will come down to 612 with my staff discount plus the triple discount on fuel once a month. I have 4 policies with them and even if I remove that one it will be worth changing. When I have time I will check the other policies and see if I can save some more.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #27
jono.chil
Starter Motor

green slip this yr on my '98 GU Patrol going through NRMA was less than $500 youngest driver myself being 27yrs old, will have to wait until march next yr to find out how much the falcon's going to be.

my Falcon says:
jono.chil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #28
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Default Re: nsw green slip

I didn't want to start a new thread, but got my green slip today, $730 for my focus... Wow... Can't remember what it was last year, but don't remember it being that pricey, $1100 roughly all up after rego and pink slip...

Has there been a price rise in nsw this year or just bad memory on my behalf??
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #29
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just paid 446 for the territory and 480 for the 38 I think the XP was 465 and the VY was about 445 that's all since September

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #30
casabonka
You can call me Chris

I'm 25, not sure if it's that high due to a young driver... With a Vegas trip in April it will be 6 months rego for me this time around!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post