Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-01-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default This and that

Hi there....

I've got a few more questions about my AU II Falcon Futura...I tried to find the answers over the search option but the answers were not satisfying.

1. is it normal that the radiator stays cold even if the temperature gauge is sitting in between "N" and "O" of the word NORMAL on the instrument ?

2. is the Falcon equipped with a steering wheel lock ( the one that locks in when you turn the steering wheel slightly after pulling off the ignition key and you can only unlock it by putting in the key again and turn the ignition ) .I tried it...mine doesn't do it

3. when I turn the steering wheel while the car is standing or when its going really slow, it feels like something is vibrating ( a chubby noise like rubber is rubbing on rubber ). With a slightly higher RPM it doesn't do it .....does anyone know what that could be ?

4. are there any lubricants that can reduce the whining noise of the differential ? And why is my diff actually only whining in the first gear...as soon as the tranny shifts its gone ....

5. when I make a left or a right turn I can sometimes feel a slight clunk in the steering column...do I have to worry about that ?

Thanks for any advice.....

The Moose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

1. Sounds funny, you mean it stays cold to the touch?
2. Try turning it a bit further, sometimes mine doesnt click straight away.
3. I get this, only after changing to the series 3 front end, it never used to do it.
4. Im not sure, but most AU's whine.
5. My mums does this, there is something that I cant remember that you have to tighten up. Ill ask around again today.
Old 24-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

Hey Moose

1. Same as Monty
2. Same as Monty
3. It could be the rpm dropping below the normal idle speed as the steering pump sucks power (i think) because mine somethimes does this after fitting 245s to the front - cured by giving the accelerator a stab
4. Are you sure this is not just the traditional torque converter/gearbox whine that AU's have in 1st gear as they accelerate?
5. Sorry, I dunno about that one...

Previous:-
2012 Fiesta Metal | 2001 AU2 XR6 | 1994 EF Fairmont | 2010 FG XR50 Ute | 2006 BF Typhoon | 2002 AU3 SR
AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
whiskers
gone fishing

1. yes mine has been like this since I bought it new in 99

2. yes it should have one
3. don't know about that one.

4. yes there is an additive that you can put in to help not sure if ot does or not. check the transmission fluid level as well it may be low

5. check your ball joints. and sway bar rubbers
Old 24-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

1. That's fine
2. Yes, but it's a bit silly
3. Rack rattle or low RPM?
4. If it only happens in 1st, then its not diff whine, its trans whine. Its a 'feature' not a 'fault'. You get to like it after a while.
5. Probably. Alert your mechanic to it next service.
Old 24-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

1 - Not really, operating temp can be anywhere from 70 to 90 deg (and more on very hot days), this is definitely too hot to touch for any more than a second or so. The thermostat may be stuck slightly open, not allowing it to reach proper operating temp.

2 - Yes they have a steering lock. They take about 1/2 a turn to engage though.

3 - This can be caused by aerated, low, or old oil. Some say it can also be a loose drive belt, but that's hard to imagine with the AU setup.

4 - If the whine is only heard in 1st gear, then it's pretty obvious the noise is coming from 1st gear. Most do it, try a auto service.

5 - This can be the steering rack shifting on it's mounts a poofteenth. Not really anything to worry about, but can usually be cured by swinging off the rack nuts a bit more.
Old 25-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
Swedishmoose

Hi mates...

well...first of all I'd like to thank you for all your answers....

yep, I got a steering wheel lock...I just wasn't turning far enough...lol..what a question..

that whining noise is coming from the back...only in first gear....when I leave the first gear in and accelerate that whine sounds different to the whining noise it makes when I lift my foot off the accelerator and let the car slow down in the first gear..it whines..but it sounds a lil different.
If it was the tranny it should whine arround the center console or near the dash because thats where the torque converter sits, right ? I might get that checked .

With that rubbing, chubbing noise from the steering wheel ( power steering )....how can I check if air is in the system and how could I get it out ?

And I found out that I can only unlock my drivers door with the key from outside...all other doors remain locked....the central lock key on the left side of the steering column doesn't work as well and shouldn't all door latches inside unlock all doors if pulled ????? My latches don't unlock the doors...weird
The key pad works fine though....

The funny thing is....usually all Falcons honk when they get locked with the key pad , right ? I have to push the "Lock" button on the key pad twice...the first time all doors lock without the horn honking and the second time I push it ,it just honks although all doors have already been locked when pressed the first time...that can't be right...lol

Oh...by the way...if I take the battery out, do I have to reprogramme the immobiliser when putting back in or don't I have to worry at all ?

Nevertheless I really like the AU..it is a great car .I have planned a few mods..but not many...

tinted windows, 18 inch, the Fairlane Frontgrill and a muffler and some nice details inside.....any recommendations on the muffler and on a decent tune up ??

Thanks again and I wish everyone a happy and nice Australia day

cya
Old 25-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishmoose
Hi mates...

well...first of all I'd like to thank you for all your answers....

yep, I got a steering wheel lock...I just wasn't turning far enough...lol..what a question..

that whining noise is coming from the back...only in first gear....when I leave the first gear in and accelerate that whine sounds different to the whining noise it makes when I lift my foot off the accelerator and let the car slow down in the first gear..it whines..but it sounds a lil different.
If it was the tranny it should whine arround the center console or near the dash because thats where the torque converter sits, right ? I might get that checked .

With that rubbing, chubbing noise from the steering wheel ( power steering )....how can I check if air is in the system and how could I get it out ?

And I found out that I can only unlock my drivers door with the key from outside...all other doors remain locked....the central lock key on the left side of the steering column doesn't work as well and shouldn't all door latches inside unlock all doors if pulled ????? My latches don't unlock the doors...weird
The key pad works fine though....

The funny thing is....usually all Falcons honk when they get locked with the key pad , right ? I have to push the "Lock" button on the key pad twice...the first time all doors lock without the horn honking and the second time I push it ,it just honks although all doors have already been locked when pressed the first time...that can't be right...lol

Oh...by the way...if I take the battery out, do I have to reprogramme the immobiliser when putting back in or don't I have to worry at all ?

Nevertheless I really like the AU..it is a great car .I have planned a few mods..but not many...

tinted windows, 18 inch, the Fairlane Frontgrill and a muffler and some nice details inside.....any recommendations on the muffler and on a decent tune up ??

Thanks again and I wish everyone a happy and nice Australia day

cya
Does the car have an owners manual? If so, it's worth reading.

As for the door locks - that's a bit weird with the key only opening drivers door. But the button on dash to the left of the steering column only works with key in Acc ro On position, and for 10 minutes after key is pulled out; any longer than that and the function is disabled.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

Keys will be fine after battery removal, but car's ECU will be reset, so will run rough for a couple hundred K's. Be patient and let it learn.
Old 25-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

my car did the smae thing with the locks becuase my remote was set to dual stage unlock not all doors which means it opens the drivers door the first time you press the button then all the others when you press it again.

and thats normal with the keypad, i think its there so if ur not sure its locked you press it again and can 'hear' that its locked.

http://www.aufalcon.com.au/3x-puursui7
FTe_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
Swedishmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Does the car have an owners manual? If so, it's worth reading.

As for the door locks - that's a bit weird with the key only opening drivers door. But the button on dash to the left of the steering column only works with key in Acc ro On position, and for 10 minutes after key is pulled out; any longer than that and the function is disabled.

Hi there...

nope...the car was bought without...thats why I've got all those weird questions...lol

well..yes, it is weird that the key only opens the drivers door. The funny part is that I can lock all four doors manually with the key when they are all open :

And the central lock button doesn't work at all...maybe it just needs to be replaced...I thought someone would have had similar weird experiences with the central lock system of the AU

But thanks anyways

The Moose
Old 25-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

The whining noise is most certainly the auto. Trust me.

The key will only open the drivers door on all AU's as far as I'm aware.
Old 25-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

Early AU1's up to and including udate AU1's unlock all doors with key. Series 2/3 does not, only drivers door.
Old 26-01-2009, 02:17 AM   #14
kcej
2mny projects 2 lttl time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Early AU1's up to and including udate AU1's unlock all doors with key. Series 2/3 does not, only drivers door.
Yep, my AU2 and AU3s keys have all only unlocked the drivers door. When my remote is lazy, I have to then hit the button to left of steering column to unlock the other 3 doors.

I assumed it was a carjacking security feature, same as the "click remote once, only drivers door unlocks" feature
kcej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #15
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

PM sent

chippitydip
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 02:43 AM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

the whine in first gear I heard was the planetary gear set on it way out. Not sure on what that entails but heard it wasnt a cheap exercise. Just keep an eye on it if it starts to get worse, then look at it then.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #17
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

AU2/3 remotes can be programmed for either a dual stage or single stage unlocking. If If I remember rightly, you can cycle through the 2 modes by holding down the lock and unlock buttons together until the indicators flash. When I bought my car it was programmed in the 2 stage mode until I got sick of it and swapped over...

Previous:-
2012 Fiesta Metal | 2001 AU2 XR6 | 1994 EF Fairmont | 2010 FG XR50 Ute | 2006 BF Typhoon | 2002 AU3 SR
AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

swedishmoose, nearly everything you're experiencing is absolutely normal.
On an AUII the key will only unlock the drivers door
On an AUII the key will lock all of the doors
On an AUII the unlock button on the remote (default) will open just the drivers door, and when pressed again will open all the other doors too. This can be changed, and I highly recommend you change it, just do a search on the forums.
On an AUII when you hit the lock button, yes it will lock, and only on the second try will it beep at you saying 'im already locked, silly'.
And I'm telling you, there is nothing wrong with the whine. My father in law has had his AU1 since 26,000klms old, now it has almost 300,000klms on it, original transmission, and it has whined through first since day one. It is the planetary gearset in the transmission, and if i found a falcon that didn't do it, i'd be mighty suspicious. Yes it sounds like it comes from the diff, yes its louder if you're in the back, but mark my words, its the transmission, and it's not a fault, that's just how they are.
Old 31-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #19
Swedishmoose

Hi again...

well..thanks a lot to all of you for all the informations.
I was just confused with the locking and unlocking and the key part ( unlocks only the drivers door with key but locks them all ) is indeed a little strange.
Well...I only have to replace the central lock button next to the steering wheel because it is not working at all.
Any idea how much that would be ? Otherwise it would be the BEM and thats by far more expensive.

Nevertheless I really like the Falcon...we just got here from overseas and I couldn't wait to buy one....

Now I am looking forward to upgrading it a little bit...

is there a mod link in the AU-Forum where I can read a bit about several things that should be done ?? I couldn't find any through the search option...

But thanks again for all the informations you all have given me...

Cee ya

The Moose
Old 31-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

check this out mate
http://www.aufalcon.com/cgi-bin/inde...s/Modification

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon