Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #31
hayseed

Default Re: Australia's car industry could be reborn under a new plan to pump billions into the sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm suspect on if Kenworth makes it another 5 years, speaking of they've just celebrated 50 years in Melbourne

https://www.trucksales.com.au/editor...-years-129172/

Lol at DAF - it would be like Maserati also selling Hyundai.
How long for IVECO & Volvo/Mack then...???
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 02:27 PM   #32
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia's car industry could be reborn under a new plan to pump billions into the sector

Yes Albo is correct, just hand Australia all over to China and bingo you will get a high speed autoban from north QLD to SA, Rail as well and water coming from North QLD down out to the west for food and our population will grow by 300 million in no time. to bad for the Koalas and Roo's etc.
But it will happen regardless.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
They need to test people more often and actually teach people properly, this 120 hours BS with Mum and Dad is junk.

Mum and Dad can't drive properly anyway and driving instructor is just interested in getting you through the 50 minute license test.

The test is drive around Sunbury for 50 minutes and do a three point turn or reverse parallel park.

The government is only interested in policing the revenue raising aspect - insane focus on 'speed' because they can make money on it. The latest TAC ad is a joke, who loses control of their BA Falcon at 85km/h and rolls it?

We have no standard for critical car parts like replacement brake pads, rotors and tyres - OEM specifies parts that meet their requirements but once you own it you can throw a set of $10 brake pads in it and then when baby bear gets away from mumma bear in the school car park, you hit the brakes and stop on baby bears spine because you saved $20 on brake pads and tyres and opted for the cheapest crap available.

Some states have yearly inspections, others don't.

You can drive around in an absolute ****box with dry rotted tyres but God forbid you're wearing a baseball cap and have a lowered SS Commodore with big wheels

They should be teaching driving at school if they took it seriously - it's a huge part of everyone's life.

I look forward to taking the bus to work if they crack down
I'm in South Australia at the moment with my car, been terrorising the locals with Melbourne-spec driving from the north to the south.

Indicators seem optional here and they don't like people trying to merge in front of them either - I've won a couple of battles with new SUV drivers because I don't care about my car if they run into the back of me in an attempt to cut me off, but they obviously care about theirs

Also bendy bus drivers in CBD peak hour are like 1944 Omaha Beach D Day landings when they're picking up and dropping off passengers, absolutely ruthless with pulling out into traffic after doing a drop/pickup

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-04-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 07:34 PM   #34
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'm in South Australia at the moment with my car, been terrorising the locals with Melbourne-spec driving from the north to the south.

Indicators seem optional here and they don't like people trying to merge in front of them either - I've won a couple of battles with new SUV drivers because I don't care about my car if they run into the back of me in an attempt to cut me off, but they obviously care about theirs

Also bendy bus drivers in CBD peak hour are like 1944 Omaha Beach D Day landings when they're picking up and dropping off passengers, absolutely ruthless with pulling out into traffic after doing a drop/pickup
As a South Australian myself I agree 100%. Driving here is always fun. Yielding to other drivers, who may have right of way, is such an Eastern States thing!
In SA if you miss your turn, take the next one, everything is linked, its not like Melb or Sydney, where you may need to drive for ever to get back.
I like South Aust driving, it's like a challenge, every day! Buses here don't need to give way, to anything smaller than them, it's the unwritten code.
I recall as a learner driver a bus pulled out infront of me and the licensed driver (my father) simply said, 'hit it'.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
As a South Australian myself I agree 100%. Driving here is always fun. Yielding to other drivers, who may have right of way, is such an Eastern States thing!
In SA if you miss your turn, take the next one, everything is linked, its not like Melb or Sydney, where you may need to drive for ever to get back.
I like South Aust driving, it's like a challenge, every day! Buses here don't need to give way, to anything smaller than them, it's the unwritten code.
I recall as a learner driver a bus pulled out infront of me and the licensed driver (my father) simply said, 'hit it'.
I've been scoping out potential suburbs to buy in so have been driving all over the city to judge distances and how long things take to commute around, getting a feel for the streets - and of course sampling restaurants and cafes everywhere eating my way across Adelaide

The distances are less than Melbourne but a lot of the driving is suburban traffic light to traffic light rather than having a bunch of linked freeways.

Took about an hour to get from Seaford to North Adelaide in peak hour, which was only about 40KM with a missed turn in the CBD so I ended up taking King William Street battling bendy buses assaulting Omaha Beach

Met quite the unfriendly cashier at Seaford Caltex, I said hello and did the small talk routine and she just looked at me, processed my sale, said thanks and couldn't even get a response - think she has PTSD from Bendy Bus commutes.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:00 PM   #36
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Best. April Fool. Ever
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #37
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We need to find something to put in all those empty shipping containers that leave here every day !
Old 02-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #38
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Sweet.
Series 4 AU XR8.

Would buy.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #39
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve been thinking, linear motors that are a light press fit in cylinder bores and couple to the original crank journals. Then we can electrify most engines with little more effort than an in-chassis rebuild. Benefits would be local industry invigoration, reduced consumer resistance (same car, engine looks familiar) and better ways to harness solar energy - rather than switching off PV panels.

It’s not so dramatic as a new design of car that looks like it belongs in some slightly camp other-worldly drama on Netflix, but might just get the job done.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2021, 01:37 PM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ve been thinking, linear motors that are a light press fit in cylinder bores and couple to the original crank journals. Then we can electrify most engines with little more effort than an in-chassis rebuild. Benefits would be local industry invigoration, reduced consumer resistance (same car, engine looks familiar) and better ways to harness solar energy - rather than switching off PV panels.

It’s not so dramatic as a new design of car that looks like it belongs in some slightly camp other-worldly drama on Netflix, but might just get the job done.
Or E85 retrofits - cheaper than EV's, significantly cleaner than regular unleaded and easier to retrofit to existing market.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #41
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Australia is making electric buses and trucks now.

Also there is a massive investment up north to provide solar power to Singapore and Indonesia via under sea Power cables.

The world is heading to all renewables, we have so much sun and land. Can supply Asia with clean energy via solar.

trucks are made from imported Knock Down Kits [from what i read & the actual imported fully built trucks are sold here] .... which is what they did back in the early '60's with the R series Valiant.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowdit
We need to find something to put in all those empty shipping containers that leave here every day !
Except they don’t put cars in shipping containers. They use roll on/roll off car carriers. But they would leave empty.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post