Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Repair or Write Off

My grandma had an accident in her AU I Forte this morning (she is ok thank the good lord) neways the cars a bit of a mess, shes had it since new and its done 90,000 kms (she was taking it for the 90k service today). Neways she lives in a rural area and was stopped at a stop go road works thing and a guy ran up her ***. The rear end of the car is wrecked and its pushed up so bad that the rear drivers door has pushed up over the drivers door so it cannot be opened, plus the right hand rear guard is pushed down onto the rear right tyre.

The roof is also warped could of the damage thats occured on the right hand side.

My question is how seriously damaged does a car have to be before an insurer will write it off rather then fix it? I would say the chassis is bent as well!

The new car to replace it has already been arranged and we are happy to buy it regardless of the outcome of the old car (BA II SR) as she lives 40 kms away from town and needs a car asap.

Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Great to hear Grandma is ok....I'd say that it's a write off, Buckle in the turret (roof) usually means write off
If the cost to repair out weighs the cost of the car, then it's off to the scap heap...

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
LUXO_8
windsor user

the car is writen off when the damage $ exceeds 75% of the value of the car.
being an AU1 forte, i'd say that it's a write off...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep just got news that they have written it off, luckily our dealer has a White SR that we should be able to pick up for her next week.

So all in all it hasnt been that bad a day for her as she just got a new 05 MARK II SR, not a bad upgrade from a Forte but still the circumstances could have been better. Not bad for an 84 year old to walk away from what she has pretty much unharmed! The AU saved her life!

AU - Built Ford Tough! out:
Old 06-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad to hear your grandmas ok. Sorry for maybe being rude, but is a large Falcon really the best for a 84 year old lady? Fuel costs + maintenance + trying to handle a large car like that?

Goodluck to her.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being out in the middle of no where yes it is.. She lives 40 km east of Warwick QLD and in a vehicle any smaller then a Falcon would be dangerious for her. She is moving into town in about 6 months time and therefore won't have to travel anywhere, but we wouldn't want her in anything less then a Falcon due to the danger of the roads she travels with animals at night and hundreads of B double semis. Fuel costs and maintenances arent her problem as we pay for that. Her AU was very good on maintenance and used stuff all fuel, she use to get 760 out of a Tank of Juice as shes always doing 100 kms an hour.

She is still compitent behind the wheel and if she hadnt been in a Falcon today, say a laser i think she might have been dead. Today was not her fault, a younger man in a hire car that was late for a meeting who had flown into brisbane traveling to Stanthorpe hit her, he was speeding at the time and obviously wasn't watching.

We thought the AU would atleast last her till she moved to town, but i guess things dont always happen how you think they will. Will be interesting to see what the payout from the insurance company is. it:
Old 06-10-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice upgrade!good to here shes allriight too!
Old 06-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #8
devil cv8

another positive, at least she wasn't on her way home AFTER the 90,000 service.... so she just saved some money there...

good to hear she's ok, as that is the most important thing.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 10:40 PM   #9
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
trying to handle a large car like that?.
??? Cars these days are super easy to handle, well everything is so power assisted & dumbed down I suppose you can easily not realise what the car is doing.......

Electronic accelerator for example.

I really doubt that an Excel would be any easier to handle than a BA Falcon, the only exception may be it's manouverability in a tight parking space perhaps.

Give me a car that has feeling any day!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 11:05 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
??? Cars these days are super easy to handle, well everything is so power assisted & dumbed down I suppose you can easily not realise what the car is doing.......

I really doubt that an Excel would be any easier to handle than a BA Falcon, the only exception may be it's manouverability in a tight parking space perhaps.

Ed
I agree, id rather her be in a big car with power, she was driving an XD Falcon 6 years ago so shes had plenty of experience when it comes to driving an un power assisted vehicle. Living in a small town like Warwick parking isnt that hard as its all angle parking
Old 06-10-2005, 11:12 PM   #11
WASP
Whipple Induced

Glad to hear your Grandma's ok Brent. Talk about a nice upgrade (BA SR)!! Goes to show that sometimes insurance works in our favour...sometimes..lol
Old 06-10-2005, 11:14 PM   #12
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you must have a good insurance company! Having the accident , assessing the car and buying a new car all in one day!

But yea stick to the big cars for saftey alone....
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 11:38 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, insurance wont be paying for the SR..

Id say we will be lucky to get 8 grand out of them in a few months time for the AU, we have to get her a car like ASAP therefore we have.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:27 AM   #14
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute

Ed
When I used to jump from my old XE into my Mum's Excel, the assisted steering on the Excel was heavier than the assisted steering on the XE. The XE's clutch was alot heavier though. Now my EL despite being 200 kg heavier and 20 cm longer, is easier to manoevre and feels more nimble than the XE. Handling a bigger car is something you get accustomed to - obviously ShockwaveXR6's grandma is used to the bigger car too.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #15
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
No, insurance wont be paying for the SR..

Id say we will be lucky to get 8 grand out of them in a few months time for the AU, we have to get her a car like ASAP therefore we have.
Well my blind faith in Insurance companies didn't last long did it: Oh well never mind, lets just focus on the positive here, your Grandma's ok and she's going to love the new SR when she get's it! Don't forget to get a dirty great tow bar fitted on the back!
Old 07-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha no towbar..

Finally just got an Invoice for the car.

Its a July 05 Build so its one of the Last Mark II SR's im told, picked it up for a bit over $32,000 with free mudspats and floor mats. We also got headlight covers, a bonnet protector and a CDMA phone kit put in it for her.

Hopefully pick it up late on Monday arvo.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:11 PM   #17
gtfpv
GT

MATE YOU DONT MESS AROUND SHE IS A LUCKY GRAN . AND A COOL ONE AT THAT. driving an SR.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was suprised it all happened so quick myself, luckily the dealer had the car we wanted in stock ready to go, have to wait for phone kit to be fitted on Tuesday now tho, so won't pick up till Tuesday arvo.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:11 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres a Pic of the car for those who may have been interested and a pic of her new one I picked up yesturday...
Old 12-10-2005, 06:25 PM   #20
EL_Advanti

thats a tidy ride...congrats to your gran!!! shes cool, 84 and still driving. Hope she gets to drive this one for a million kms...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #21
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

B-Semi > Excel
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post