Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2022, 06:37 PM   #1501
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
Hey DFB, my bottle has arrived thanks to you again ha ha. How do you dilute for the foam cannon. Now I have this and NV snow, might toss a coin to see which one gets used first.
Sorry for the delay, paying the bills today.

Most foam cannons are 1000ml in capacity. For NV Snow and Koch Chemie GSF, I do the following -

Add about 750ml of water to the bottle first.

Then I add 120 - 150ml of soap to fill the rest of the bottle. Some will do the opposite, adding soap first then water, but this is how I have done it for years.

Now, Koch Chemie actually recommend only 30ml of product into 950ml of water. Ignore that, you will need 100ml+ for good thick foam.

For Reset, CarPro don't actually specify a dilution ratio for foam cannons, nor do they promote it for such use. Again, ignore that as Reset foams beautifully, using the same 100 - 150ml as the other two.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2022, 07:26 PM   #1502
prydey
Rob

If you add product first, you have to add the water very slowly otherwise it foams up. It can be done but requires a lot more patience.
Old 09-04-2022, 07:36 PM   #1503
jgmdat

Thanks DFB, I thought 30ml was a bit light on. I also add the product after the water for the same reason prydey mentioned.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2022, 07:46 PM   #1504
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Detailing Shed have just launched a new mini polisher from Maxshine this past week.

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...dless-polisher

The Maxshine Mini Cordless Polisher Kit is a rebranded unit also sold by Refract, although $54.00 cheaper.

https://refractccp.com.au/collection...-polishing-kit

The Maxshine and Refract units look to be a little bulkier than the Rupes iBrid and Mint ProTools RO Polisher Nano Hybrid (Rupes copy), although not quite as bulky as the Flex PXE-80 which can also be converted to a 3 inch machine.

Mint -

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/m...no-hybrid.html

Rupes (Long Neck) -

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/ru...d&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Flex PXE-80 -

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...-ec-2-5-bundle

With the exception of the Flex, these machines are designed to use 1.0 and 1.5 inch pads. All can be used in either rotary or dual-action mode depending on the chosen adaptor.

These sort of polishers are a luxury item. Do you absolutely need one? No, not really. Do you want one? Probably.
Mustang GT

Old 09-04-2022, 07:54 PM   #1505
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
If you add product first, you have to add the water very slowly otherwise it foams up. It can be done but requires a lot more patience.
The other way to do it would be add your soap first then fill the bottle the rest of the way from your rinse bucket -

(Skip to 11min 20sec to see what I mean)

Mustang GT

Old 09-04-2022, 08:05 PM   #1506
jgmdat

Do you absolutely need one? No, not really. Do you want one? Probably.

This was my theory with the Kranzle and MTM kit.
Old 09-04-2022, 11:11 PM   #1507
XXX747

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

To be honest, Express would be used for dirtier interiors or when you need some extra cleaning grunt.

For new or well kept cars, I would be using the other interior detailers I mentioned or even just a damp towel. You can also use exterior spray detailers like Boss Gloss or Paint Gloss for interior cleaning/dusting.
100%, get water in bucket as hot as you can touch, drop of dish washing fluid. dip in microfibre cloth and squeeze out excess water. Cleans most interiors mint.

I really would like to know though what people use to clean carpet with those spinning drill brushes. Is there like a go to carpet shampoo?
XXX747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2022, 12:11 AM   #1508
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX747 View Post
I really would like to know though what people use to clean carpet with those spinning drill brushes. Is there like a go to carpet shampoo?
You would use a product like Koch Chemie MZR or P&S Carpet Bomber.

https://carcareco.com.au/product/koc...erior-cleaner/

https://carcareco.com.au/product/p-s...stery-cleaner/

I would be inclined to say you would only use the combination of a drill brush and carpet cleaner if you intended to follow up with an extractor to remove the chemical residue. Drill brush with a cleaning solution certainly helps to lift dirt out of carpet, but they also fling it around the surrounding surfaces.
Mustang GT

Old 10-04-2022, 10:19 PM   #1509
XXX747

Quote:
You would use a product like Koch Chemie MZR or P&S Carpet Bomber.

https://carcareco.com.au/product/koc...erior-cleaner/

https://carcareco.com.au/product/p-s...stery-cleaner/

I would be inclined to say you would only use the combination of a drill brush and carpet cleaner if you intended to follow up with an extractor to remove the chemical residue. Drill brush with a cleaning solution certainly helps to lift dirt out of carpet, but they also fling it around the surrounding surfaces.
Yeah i didnt know if I could use the bissel spot clean solution and spray it on the carpet with the bissel then use the drill to agitate and then suck up. I figured it may work but didnt know if there was a better carpet shampoo product for cars.
XXX747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 06:56 PM   #1510
bfets

Here is another question for you DFB.

So typically with DA polishers most people use them to compound and polish. Once that is done and the cars paint is in good condition, how do you maintain that? Do you just use spray sealants or wax's or do you sometimes use the DA polisher with a wax or a sealant as well?

I really like the spray on rinse off sealants because its just so easy and quick. I'm just wondering now that I have a DA polisher if there is any benefit in using it to apply liquid wax's or sealants for maintenance from time to time.
bfets is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 07:25 PM   #1511
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfets View Post
Here is another question for you DFB.

So typically with DA polishers most people use them to compound and polish. Once that is done and the cars paint is in good condition, how do you maintain that? Do you just use spray sealants or wax's or do you sometimes use the DA polisher with a wax or a sealant as well?

I really like the spray on rinse off sealants because its just so easy and quick. I'm just wondering now that I have a DA polisher if there is any benefit in using it to apply liquid wax's or sealants for maintenance from time to time.
After polishing/correcting and a wax/sealant/coating applied, I maintain that finish with the use of spray sealants during the drying process (drying aid). This lubricates to prevent marring, adds more gloss and protects the base layer of protection. Think P&S Beadmaker, CarPro EliXir, Bowdens After Glow or Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Detailer.

If you like using the spray and rinse protection products, then go with it. I find there is a tactile pleasure to be had from applying and buffing off wax every 12 months or so. (Keep in mind I get that much out of a wax due to the garage queen aspect). Also, you don't need to polish each time you apply a wax/sealant, do it on an as-needed basis. I'm about to polish my Mustang and Ranger as it seems like its "time", especially the Ranger.

Using a DA to apply wax/sealant speeds up the process and allows for a more even and thin coat. A thin coat is easier to buff off. When doing this, I'm using a very soft pad designed for this task and run the machine on the lowest setting. I also use a small foam applicator for smaller areas that a DA would not be appropriate (wing mirrors, boot garnishes ect).

Another reason for using the DA to apply wax is that it gives me an excuse to use it.
Mustang GT

Old 11-04-2022, 11:09 PM   #1512
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speaking of Waxes, i would love to try some of this, but I do not think it is available in the country yet.
They went to town on this one. It has a blend of 10 Waxes including SiO2 and Graphene.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 11:29 PM   #1513
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Speaking of Waxes, i would love to try some of this, but I do not think it is available in the country yet.
They went to town on this one. It has a blend of 10 Waxes including SiO2 and Graphene.

There are a number of Turtle Wax products that are not sold here, including a couple of good tyre cleaners and dressings. Not sure if it's through a lack of interest or just not released yet.
Mustang GT

Old 12-04-2022, 11:27 AM   #1514
bfets

Quote:
After polishing/correcting and a wax/sealant/coating applied, I maintain that finish with the use of spray sealants during the drying process (drying aid). This lubricates to prevent marring, adds more gloss and protects the base layer of protection. Think P&S Beadmaker, CarPro EliXir, Bowdens After Glow or Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Detailer.

If you like using the spray and rinse protection products, then go with it. I find there is a tactile pleasure to be had from applying and buffing off wax every 12 months or so. (Keep in mind I get that much out of a wax due to the garage queen aspect). Also, you don't need to polish each time you apply a wax/sealant, do it on an as-needed basis. I'm about to polish my Mustang and Ranger as it seems like its "time", especially the Ranger.

Using a DA to apply wax/sealant speeds up the process and allows for a more even and thin coat. A thin coat is easier to buff off. When doing this, I'm using a very soft pad designed for this task and run the machine on the lowest setting. I also use a small foam applicator for smaller areas that a DA would not be appropriate (wing mirrors, boot garnishes ect).

Another reason for using the DA to apply wax is that it gives me an excuse to use it.
You can see I'm looking for an excuse to use my polishers!

Do you do a strip wash with NV+ or similar before doing your yearly wax/sealant or just go over the top of whats left of it?
Old 12-04-2022, 04:48 PM   #1515
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
You can see I'm looking for an excuse to use my polishers!

Do you do a strip wash with NV+ or similar before doing your yearly wax/sealant or just go over the top of whats left of it?
Yes, NV Snow+ in prep for a new wax or sealant. Normally the use of this product finishes off any remaining wax/sealant, and from experience, a contact wash is more effective with Snow+ rather than just a pre-soak.
Mustang GT

Old 13-04-2022, 07:04 PM   #1516
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

I have also been toying with getting a MultimatchR or Take Now 20W -
Well, ten days later................

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2022, 09:23 PM   #1517
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post

Has anyone tried Bowden Own new wax yet? It’s taken them years to develop and it’s certainly not cheap.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2022, 09:37 PM   #1518
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Well, ten days later................
There must be a few shops around that start to worry something has happened to you if they don't hear from you for a few days
Old 14-04-2022, 03:21 PM   #1519
bfets

Whats you favorite wax/sealant to apply with the DA polisher DFB?

Something like Collinite 845 or Gyeon Q2 Wax should work well with a machine I assume right?

Thats probably where the black Shinemate pads would be good too.
Old 14-04-2022, 07:08 PM   #1520
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Whats you favorite wax/sealant to apply with the DA polisher DFB?

Something like Collinite 845 or Gyeon Q2 Wax should work well with a machine I assume right?

Thats probably where the black Shinemate pads would be good too.
Favorite to apply with a D/A? Without question Gyeon Q2! That has more to do with the way Q2 is administered from it's container.......

Using a D/A to apply 845 has ensures a thin, even coating. 845 can be a bitch to remove if applied too thickly.

Another I still really like using is Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. This is now probably considered old fashioned, but I just love how it makes paint look.

I know I trot this pic out a lot, but it really illustrates what a good old fashioned paint sealant can do........

Menzerna Power Lock is another really easy product to use on a D/A. Probably one of the easiest buff-off products around.

You are correct with the assumption that the black Shine Mate pad is used for application of waxes and sealants.

When using a D/A to apply waxes and sealants, it's important to have the machine on the lowest setting and to apply very little to no pressure on the pad, just let the machine glide over the paint. Unlike paint correction, you can move quicker over each section as you are simply distributing product. Use the DA on the larger, flatter panels and follow up with a small handheld applicator for the smaller and more intricate areas.

It's also worth highlighting that, unlike polish residue, getting waxes and sealants out of foam pads is a nightmare. I soak them in microfiber detergent and rinse under running water as best as possible with a lot of scrunching and squeezing. I have also heard of people just putting them in a zip lock bag and storing them like that until next needed. Or just throw them away and buy another one.....

Mustang GT

Old 14-04-2022, 07:16 PM   #1521
bfets

Quote:
Favorite to apply with a D/A? Without question Gyeon Q2! That has more to do with the way Q2 is administered from it's container.......
Looks like I'll be making another Waxit purchase. Getting some black pads.

I think I can get Gyeon Q2 Wax from Repco.

Thanks again DFB. I'll give it a go!
Old 14-04-2022, 07:22 PM   #1522
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Just as a follow up to my previous post, out of the products I listed, each has a more defined usage case.

Gyeon Q2 Wax - I would reserve this for garage queens only. Gyeon do not quote a longevity claim for this product that leads to the assumption that it would be very limited. Think 3 months for a daily, 12 months tops on a garage queen.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant - Another product that I don't know of an official longevity claim. If get 12+ months on it but I have heard it will be closer to 4-6 months on a daily. You also need to allow the product to cure for 12 hours after application for best results. Again, great for garage queens.

Collinite 845 - Expect 5 - 7 months longevity on a daily. I have it lasting on 12 - 18 months on my Mustang. I like this for it's ability to resist contaminants and I will be applying it on two daily drivers in the next week.

Menzerna Power Lock - I can't find an official figure on this but have had it last for 8 months on a daily driven, outdoor parked car. The label states it's protects from "environmental influences", it certain performed beyond what I expected.
Mustang GT

Old 14-04-2022, 07:23 PM   #1523
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Looks like I'll be making another Waxit purchase. Getting some black pads.

I think I can get Gyeon Q2 Wax from Repco.

Thanks again DFB. I'll give it a go!
Make sure you read the above post regarding durability before you splash out on the Gyeon.

Realistically, you will only need one black pad.
Mustang GT

Old 14-04-2022, 07:42 PM   #1524
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

My life's work.........

Just love how Koch Chemie and CarPro bottles display, it's half the fun.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2022, 08:19 PM   #1525
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I offered to give the delivery van at work a quick clean for the weekend. I can't begin to describe how soul crushing it was to use THE BRUSH!

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2022, 08:47 PM   #1526
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Two more Easter detailing sales -

Supercheap Auto have 30% off all detailing products -
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/ea...2-wk42-ods-thu

Autobuff have up to 15% off selected brands including Koch Chemie, Gyeon and The Rag Company -
https://autobuff.com.au/?_kx=NAmBDx4...iZ4U%3D.NbPnt6
Mustang GT

Old 14-04-2022, 11:43 PM   #1527
bfets

Quote:
Make sure you read the above post regarding durability before you splash out on the Gyeon.

Realistically, you will only need one black pad.
Thanks. I've had a look at some reviews and I like the fact that they say Gyeon is so super glossy. Even if it only lasts 3 months, I'm ok with it. It looks easy to apply and wipe off. I also like the fact that it doesnt stain trims so you dont have to mask the car like with compounds or polish. I have new DA polishers to play with so I think I'll apply it often if I like it.

Damn I'm getting so impatient now. I wish I had my Mustang to pamper already. Its going to be a long wait. Hopefully worth it in the end.
Old 15-04-2022, 10:06 AM   #1528
jgmdat

Quote:
Two more Easter detailing sales -

Supercheap Auto have 30% off all detailing products -
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/ea...2-wk42-ods-thu

Autobuff have up to 15% off selected brands including Koch Chemie, Gyeon and The Rag Company -
https://autobuff.com.au/?_kx=NAmBDx4...iZ4U%3D.NbPnt6

Lazy 200 bucks spent at Autobuff, I think I might have a detailing problem.
Old 15-04-2022, 05:59 PM   #1529
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks. I've had a look at some reviews and I like the fact that they say Gyeon is so super glossy. Even if it only lasts 3 months, I'm ok with it. It looks easy to apply and wipe off. I also like the fact that it doesnt stain trims so you dont have to mask the car like with compounds or polish. I have new DA polishers to play with so I think I'll apply it often if I like it.

Damn I'm getting so impatient now. I wish I had my Mustang to pamper already. Its going to be a long wait. Hopefully worth it in the end.
Get the Collinite. It will last longer. Believe me, I know.

Better still, get the Collinite 476. Harder to use, but will last much longer.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2022, 06:25 PM   #1530
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Get the Collinite. It will last longer. Believe me, I know.

Better still, get the Collinite 476. Harder to use, but will last much longer.
If your new car is going to live a pampered life, then go for the Gyeon. I love it for this but can't comment on it with regards to lasting on a daily driven car.

That's where 845 comes in. I don't think you would be disappointed with the level of gloss 845 provides, or it's durability.
Mustang GT