Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you buy one of these
Falcadore, all the good bits together and no more war 14 41.18%
Falcon, who cares if the V8 was holden based as long as it goes FAST. 4 11.76%
Commodore, finally a SV6 that can overtake a Hyundai. 2 5.88%
Noooooooooooooooooooo, heretic, heretic, burn the witch.... 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default V8 super hypothetical

Extrapolating on the current US crisis with GM and Ford.

In the USA GM and Ford both go into backruptsy and a condition of Obama bailing them out is they have to sell offshore manufacturing so they give more jobs to yanks and only make fuel efficient engines so no V8s or large 6s. This means shutting down all Ford and Holden manufacturing facilities or selling them. No one wants them because everyone else has their own problems so Comrade Kev and his band of merry men decide to buy them both to keep Australian jobs provided it will actually work.

But now he is faced with a problem, Holden engines are all imported and so are the most of the components of the Ford V8 so in a flash of brilliant advice from some guy named Cochrane he decides to manufacture all the engines here but to save costs have one 6 and one V8 shared between the two marques. Two separate Holden and Ford facilities will break the budget so they will not happen.

Holden will get the I6 but do their own cams/plumbing/ECU and a new "Australian" V8 loosly based on the old Holden 308 is to be manufactured.
Part of the deal was that no windsor/clevo/modular/LS1 design could be used as they are all copyright/patented/fail euro4 etc. Each side would bet the block etc but again cams/geads/plumbing/ECU would be proprietry

So now the the marketing gurus need to know what to do.

Should they combine completely and make the Falcadore SXRS etc, do the V8SC thing and have two different shapes for almost the same car or just give up and sell the lot to China as scrap metal.

Would you buy one of these?

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

yes i would more aussie content ,keep jobs ,respectable engines ,and not a lot different than the old alliances, ford nissan etc
Old 11-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
75Cortina

If it keeps the car Australian and the Ford naming, and looks better then the Equivalent...Yes.
Full Floater 9in 31 Spine with locker

Its almost there!!!!
75Cortina is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I'd go with that - better than a Wingle.......

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11256346

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Two different shapes, same engines. Would work for me.

Heck, Laser and 323, Telstar and 626, Maverick and Patrol were doing this in years past.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Australian ownership. An enticing possibility.

But does the copyright ownership of anything produced out of Holden or Ford Oz reside within Australia, or overseas?

Lukeyson
Old 11-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I believe the witch should burn...

**has monty python flashback**

constructive post +1

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Either of the first 3 options work for me. First though would eliminate brand loyalty, V8 supercars and all the merchandise that goes with both and wouldn't be a great option.
If they did the same engine for both Commodore and Falcon then I'd still own one. It would just mean they are different in basically every other way. (much like now).

Barina still seems to sell regardless that you can have the exact same car with a different badge.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well this is quite surprising.

At this time 50% don't care about the Falcon marque and a further 33% would rather it did not exist anymore and go the way of P76 or Valiant rather than fit "holdenesque" components.

Only 2 would buy a Falcon or Commodore 8.33% each.

Yet again my hypothetical has revealed something truly unexpected.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 04:29 AM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If it is RWD and you can get it in a manual then I will hand my money over.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #11
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vote 1 for alloy roller camed stroked 304s just hope the alloy doesn't break the sound
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post