Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Growler

Default Motor swap

If my compression test on my 300,000+ EF motor fails i will look into swapping it for a low kms wreck motor. What is involved in swapping it over?

Is it a matter of simply disconnecting the simple stuff, jacking up the motor from underneath, undoing the engine mounts and unbolting the auto trans and then on a hoist removing the old and chucking in the new?

What's the deal with the transy, does it need a new seal and rear main oil seal?

How much should i expect to pay for a low km's EF or EFXR6 motor?

Thankyou for reading and answering my thread.

GROWLER

Growler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

you will need an engine crane to remove the engine, and i strongly suggest remove the bonnet, then remove negine and gearbox together. Get a front and rear gearbox seal.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
efgiar
rofl copter

if i was doing id replace all possible seals that are the hardest/most expensive to do whilst in the car, eg rear main, sump, check and replace welsh plugs as needed. because in the end it will cost u alot more if u dont do it proply the first time. you just undo stuff till it looks like its going to come out then try pull it out very slowly and undo/unplug anything that remains.

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

If you have Air Conditioning, just remove the A/C compressor and try to hold it out of the way. Better than letting the GAS out? it's not exactly legal to do in yoru Back Yard?

If you were able to find someone who has a hoist? you could do like we do at work with BA's and remove the motor and Gearbox and Crossmembers from underneath.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Big job mate hope all works out do it properly no short cuts and make sure you get a reasonable engine

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Growler

TY,

How much time are we looking at for a motor swap? 1 day or more???
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
XRated
Shoot.

Shouldn't take you more than a day if you know what you're doing.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
efgiar
rofl copter

1 person can take out a motor and box in less then 2 hours. then doing seals etc then refittiing it would take 2-3 possibly even 4 hours. just depends on how much of a quality eye u have

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
jpiez

i just swapped motors in my eb yesterday... took me n my old man 9 housr to pull it out n build the otherone from the head gasket up... just gota connect all the hoses n wires n modify the exhaust tonight
jpiez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post