Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
Growler

Default Engine condition

Hi ford lovers

I waz just wondrin how do i tell if my engine in my EF wagon is buggered, do ya just check the compression and it will tell ya straight away or do you take it for a dyno and spend money on finding out if your motor is fuc%ed? Also it's not a collapsed cat converter or electrical issue.

thankyou for readin my ИИИИ, Growler aka minge and fuzzymuff.

Growler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Compression test is a good start, but there are lots of things that wont show up. If compression varies between cyl, something is definitely buggered.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Growler

Thanks for the quick reply Mark, i can't be stuffed doin the test myself as i'm busy workin on my fpv all the time, how much u reckon a mechanic would charge for a simple compression test?
Old 21-02-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
Growler

ИИИИ sorry i thought i would elaborate on my first post, i meant buggered as in a tired motor(gutless 300,000km). Sorry
Old 22-02-2006, 01:00 AM   #5
Damo
Banned

compression test will take you like 15 minutes to do and you can buy a tester for like $30. At 300,000 kms i'm guesing compression will be down a bit, but as long as drives ok just drive it into the ground.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #6
Growler

Thanks dudes,

The compression is fuc$ed, is this more to do with the head or the bottom end? I can pick up a known good bottom end from my wreckers for $110 but the problem is that it's got like 250,000kms on it (EL) and he reckons that you won't find a stock EL bottom end with low kay's coz he said all wreckers lie about the km's their motors have done.

Does anyone know some trustable wreckers anywhere in Melbourne, i'm willing to travel up to 2 hours for a descent bottom end (if it's not head related)

BTW it currently does not blow any smoke at all.
Old 28-02-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
Growler

:
Old 28-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
BABOSS

Compression has to do with the pistons and cylinders i believe, correct me if i'm wrong.
BABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
Madhatter
EF Fairmont Ghia

or a blown (lol, dont be surprised) headgasket.

If compression is down, add some oil to the bore (via the spark plug hole) and see if it increases significantly. If it does, it means the rings arent sealing and thats contributing to the loss of compression.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
drubie
drubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasherEF
Compression has to do with the pistons and cylinders i believe, correct me if i'm wrong.
Could be valves - if the seats are buggered and not sealing correctly. I dunno how common it is with Falcons but it happens on other marques.

The oil trick down the bore (dry test first, wet test second and compare the change) usually isolates it to compression rings/bore wear or valve seating/head gasket issues. If the compression doesn't change much between the wet/dry test, I'd suspect the gasket and/or the valves. Otherwise, it's the rings. Not sure about just dropping old head on a different bottom end though, surely just getting another second hand engine would be easier/cheaper unless you just reconditioned the head and know it's good. It's very hard to do a compression test on an isolated bottom end, so you'll never know the result until you fire up the damn thing.

cheers,

dave.
Old 28-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #11
mhoward736
Starter Motor

Why not consider an RACV check of your car? Last time I had one done (mny years ago now admittedly) they did a compression check and other things to confirm the condition of the motor. They do it for a known price too.
mhoward736 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post