Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
Jay.Blanket

Default Diagnose That Noise..... (Vid)

Soooo Not the best quality audio or video but basically having this noise from the engine....... engine had just been rebuilt (original pistons and rings) compression test through all cylinders is around the 170 psi and its running 10w50 Penrite oil... I know that from a video like this is it is incredibly hard to make any real judgement but any help would be greatly appreciated..

http://vid13.photobucket.com/albums/...0/IMG_5301.mp4

Thanks

Jay.Blanket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Diagnose That Noise..... (Vid)

yep it is hard,

i ll just give you my two bob .

timing chain/guide

only guessing jay, but sounds a bit like timing chain area to me, as you moved the camera/mic forward it sounded like you where over the noise,
again only guessing, if you have a big screw driver you can put the blade on parts of the engine, timing case .block etc, using it like a stetherscope and put your ear on the handle, just be careful it doesn't get jolted by a pulley or something, its hard to get a hat on with a screw driver through your head ;).
let us know what you find.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Well im hearing 2 noises, one sounds like a noisy pulley & the other is definitely noisy injectors.

One of my pulleys, the tension/idler assembly, sounds horrible when its cold, very similar.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Jay.Blanket

so yeah thinking its the timing chain as we took the belt off and ran it without that.. from the sounds of it yes one of the pullys is also bad but the main sound were thinking is the chain so going to pull the tensioner out and have a play tomorrow afternoon. .wish me luck
:P
Old 05-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck mate.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
hales231271

I would check that the timing chain tensioner is set correctly.
I had one I could just not get correct.
I think the seals were damaged during disassembly resulting in low oil pressure
to the tensioner.
Purchased a new tensioner and installed. Noise gone.
hales231271 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Jay.Blanket

so ive pulled the tensioner out and tried to clean it up and then put it back it but the noise is still there... so you would say the noise is from the tensioner being too loose? also i couldnt get the last part of the tensioner out as in the final metal part that actually pushes on the guide... that should just slip out yeah?
Old 08-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
hales231271

I did the same thing. Removed all parts and cleaned. Re assembled but noise still there. Only until I put a new unit in did the noise disappear.

All of this needs to come out.

hales231271 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is an excellent video on the tube posted by autofix for falcon timing chain tensioner, they have a cut away and show the technique to set and release the timing chain. ..... well worth a look imo , it seems a good number of people come unstuck doing this procedure.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi guys, i was on the autofix site the other day having a squizz & thought not bad at all, plenty of good info here! Heres that link mik mentioned -

http://autofix.com.au/blog/falcon-ti...hain-tensioner

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on ya Maka, thanks mate, i was on my mobile I couldn't get the link easily at the time.
Cheers mik.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
Jay.Blanket

yeah that is a very helpful guide.. Cheers guys!. so I've just realized i am completely missing the little filter... cannot seem to find it anywhere.. hopefully i can get one ordered into blacklocks tomorrow.. and then i will get it all back together and check and re check the tensioner..
Old 11-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
Jay.Blanket

anybody know what the filter would be worth?
Old 13-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #14
Jay.Blanket

Just an update... $32 from blacklocks supposedly with new o Rings .. soon find out
Old 17-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #15
Jay.Blanket

okay so i have removed the tensioner and refit the unit and put the tension back on and still no luck.. the sound is still there.. it doesn't happen when i first start the car but once it warms up a little bit it come in and is more noticeable with revs.... any other ideas?

Oh and a side note.... heater core decided to die also so now i have to take the dash out and replace that.
Old 22-08-2014, 12:47 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats bad luck mate, its not such a hard job to pull the dash out, but fairly laborius though, being kind , it is still a pain in the posterior.

i spoke to an aircon regass bloke a couple of years ago after i done mine, he said his mate can do an au dash out and heater out and back in in 3 hours, ( i wanted to punch him)
i nearly fell over when he said that.
i wish the ***** would have of told me that before i did mine .
on a serious note.
re: the chain noise, jay im wondering if the material(teflon ?) on the chain guide has worn away and the chain is rubbing against the bare metal guide ?
sorry bud ,
other than that im running out of ideas, there have been times in the past i ve been looking for noisey valve gear and i have poured a bit of oil slowly over the valve train while running and this has sometimes yielded results, perhaps if your feeling a energetic you could whip the rocker cover off while its in its hot and noisey stage and pour a pint of oil over the chain while its running and see if it shuts up, if it does, it might point to something worn, chain or guide, or perhaps a lack of lubrication for some reason ?
let us know how you go anyway bud.
Old 25-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #17
au01
Starter Motor

Hey man any luck with a resolution yet? I have similar problem. I only noticed the engine tick after an oil flush/oil change when i first bought my au2 5 months back.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaxJDXeywA8

Do you reckon this sounds like the same problem?

Cheers!
au01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its pretty hard to be accurate mate, these microphones are very sensitive and pick up every little noise, it does sound pretty noisy though, can hear a bit of valve gear noise as well as something else.
Old 25-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #19
au01
Starter Motor

Might pull the valve cover and pour some Moreys oil stabilizer on the valve gear and chain and see how that goes. Pretty annoying noise whatever it is
Old 26-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #20
Jay.Blanket

hey i just listened to both mine and yours au01 and i feel like your noise is very very similar... I feel like sounds like 2 cogs(or gears) running together kind of purring in a sense but not in a good way... do you think yours sounds like that at all? its a hard thing to describe haha
Old 26-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #21
au01
Starter Motor

Kind of man. I had the exhaust fixed last week and the muffler shop guy said it sounded like an exhaust leak of some description. Which i thought was feasible at first as it only does it after it has reached operating temperature. But after tightening everything still tickin away. Getting new tyres and alignment tomorrow but will pull the valve cover and have a look/listen after exams on thursday !
Old 10-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #22
au01
Starter Motor

Hi Jay have you had anyluck yet with the noise? I changed the exhaust manifold gasket on the off chance it was the culprit but nope.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #23
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi au01, i would be taking the rocker cover off asap when cold & checking your timing chain & tensioner by hand for any slop. Then start the motor & observe the timing chain / tensioner & see if its all running true with no slop / noise. It was a bit hard to hear exactly what the issue was from the youtube link. Good luck!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 10-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #24
au01
Starter Motor

Thanks maka i will try that this arvo. Its just irritating when the rest of the car is so damn great
Old 10-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #25
Spurious

I recently had the head & timing casing off my AU2.

First thing you should do is let the motor sit overnight & allow ALL oil to drain away from the chain.
Remover rocker cover & crank over the engine by hand whilst observing the chain. You should see oil on the chain within 2 or 3 revolutions.

The chain guides do wear out & end up with grooves cut into them where the chain rubs.

The reason the inner part of the chain tensioner wouldn't come all the way out is because it would have a build up of carbon on the outer surface, which stops it from sliding out.
Strange that yours would be hard to remove if the engines just been rebuilt!

On a side note, after my engine work & minutes before a highway test my mate & I realized we'd neglected to tension the cam sprocket bolt, which made a noise until we tensioned it. A real WOW moment there!!!

The 2 main culprits of engine tapping in these motors is lash adjusters & injectors.

I will say though that my engine was a bit tappity before the engine work, but with 1 new chain guide (the passenger side) the only noise I get now is injectors.

Prior to the work, 9 times out of 10 my lash adjusters would tap for about 30 seconds on initial start up, then disappear. Now it's whisper quiet from the get go.
Mind you when I tore down my engine I found I had 3 loose head bolts & head gasket was stuffed. I think oil pressure was lacking on start up due to oil weeping from the head gasket & possibly allowing air to get in & out.

Check that your timing chain is getting a good supply of oil first, then put some Moreys in.
You might consider fitting new lash adjusters while the rocker cover's off, if they havn't been done yet, just be aware that they often tap for a while until they fill with oil.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #26
au01
Starter Motor

I just now got back inside from checking under the rocker cover. Its quite odd but i hardly ever get tapping on cold starts , yet everytime after around 10mins of driving it develops what i would call a 'clack' haha. While it was cold i pulled the cover and tried to wiggle the chain but seemed tight as. It was very nice and smooth sounding too. I ran for around 15 secs then put a few drops of moreys on the chain for the fun of making a mess. Ran it for bout a minute then shut it off. Replaced cover and took for a drive
Once at operating temp it was there. Its only noticeable at idle and does not sound the same as when the lash adjusters at startup though. I just dunno hahaa
Old 10-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #27
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Have a look at this link & check out the posts, could be helpful -

http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/f...ngine-noise-EF

cheers, Maka

Old 11-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #28
Spurious

Lash adjusters can make noise anytime if they don't get enough oil in them or the oil doesn't stay in them. They're hydraulically operated.

We've all heard older taxis that'll persistently run with the tick tick tick day & night. Worn lash adjusters.

It's really easy to replace them too.
One trick though is to use masking tape & wrap around the lashy'S before removing the rocker arm assembly. Some will fall out when assembly is lifted off. You don't want them falling down an oil gallery!

Also be careful when you lift the rocker assembly off the head as the rockers will slide off the ends of the shafts on which they sit. Again, wrap tape ALL THE WAY around both ends of the rocker assembly to stop it falling to bits when you lift it off the head, & when you lift it off, one hand on each end front & back.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #29
Jay.Blanket

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01 View Post
Hi Jay have you had anyluck yet with the noise? I changed the exhaust manifold gasket on the off chance it was the culprit but nope.
So my issue turned out to be the bolt that goes into the front cam had worked its way loose. and seemed to be worse when the engine was hot for some reason... but yeah just took the bolt out put some more locktight on it and then tourqed it back up... seems to be fine now... or it was all good untill this happened

on the freeway headed from wodonga to melbourne... 45 minutes out of melbs :(
Old 20-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

crikey mate, that sucks, at least your here to talk about it, good you getting the noise thing resolved.
any thing can happen out on the road, reminds me of a catastrophic tyre deflation on the left rear i had many years ago while whizzing along on top of a hill while going around a bend ..... motoring can be exciting ;).