Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
mercury maid
Banned

Default Audi Q7 vs Fiat 500 - size matters

http://www.carcentral.com.au/2008072...oposition.html

Surprisinly the Fiat has a 5 star NCAP rating and the Q7 gets only 4.. I know which one i would rather be in.. just goes to show the ratings dont mean squat.

mercury maid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will say that at this stage, this is the reason why I'll always choose a larger car irrespective of petrol prices.

I see the size of the car and the extra crumple zone that comes with it to be an added insurance policy.

I see a small car as being for optimists, and since driving is statistically dangerous, it's not a chance I want to take.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

No1 reason why i hate ANCAP.

4 Star big car IMO is safer than 5 star small car, but this is not reflected in the ratings. They test versus a brick wall and force stuff like ESP and Seatbelt in order to get a 5 star rating- whereas in reality most accidents are with other vehicles and the fundamental design and mass of the vehicle matter more.

Not everyone should drive a big car fair enough, big car vs big car can make an almighty mess, but yeah ANCAP is rubbish.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

ANCAP rating are how well that particular car performs under certain conditions.

So for the Q7 vs 500 example above if 2 Fiats had a head on the occupants would be better off than if 2 Q7s had a head on at the same speed.

That's why I hate all the big 4WD softraoders on the roads. If the owner actually goes offroad I dont have a problem, but why do you need these bohemoths in the city?

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a Fifth gear test where they crash a Renault people mover into a Discovery, the latter comes out alot worse. Theres probably a good 500kg weight difference between them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIKu1UDoa6s
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post