Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Default Selling

Ok. Firstly i am seriously considering selling the XY. I am buying a house and the extra money in the deposit will make life over the next thirty years of the loan easier. I am looking at repayments of about 390/week. So also i will have no money to upkeep or drive my pride and joy. It sits too much now, only getting driven once every three weeks or so becuase i work so much trying to save and it will be the same when i buy a house. I do enjoy and love the car but the little bit extra less stress i will have with an extra $20 off my repayments a week and in my pocket will be worth it i think. Most may have seen my car, Yellow Glow XY GT Replica: 366clevo, toploader, nine inch with GS dash, console etc etc. I would like to sell less RWC as i have no heater hoses attached (engine bay looks tidier). The car is fully rebuilt and immaculate, less than 4000km's on all new motor, rebuilt gearbox and 4.11LSD diff. Should pass RWC fine otherwise.
What should i be asking? I was thinking 30,000 and would take high 20's. Don't think i would sell if i don't get more than 25g. I don't want to rip anyone off and want to sell to someone who will respect the car as i have. I have seen other replicas well over 30g that are no where near the quality (13g paint and panel). Also i'm not sure how to go about selling it. How have other members found most reliable etc carsales? Do you think i'm in the right price vicinity? Thoughts, comments offers. LOL.

Old 30-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Ebay and carsales. I sold a car on both, though carsales was quicker.
Old 30-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Nickxb
XB in progress

have a look on http://www.fordmusclecars.com.au this may give you and idea for a price to list it.....
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont sell it.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
mrniceguy

Will the XY appreciate in value at the same, higher or lower rate than the house is the question.
mrniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Try unique cars but if I were you sell something else, buy a cheaper house maybe. If you love it don't sell it, been there done that
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
99XR6

I didn't think you were serious about selling it. does you offer still stand from a couple of weeks ago?
99XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its bigger than the money true the car wont appreciate to the same extent but in arrond 12months you'll be siting having a beer and think **** why did I sell the XY trust me I sold the ZC for a boat because I was out on mtes boats more than drivign the ZC it took 18 months in my case, I was driving my company car out on some family thing I would normaly have taken the ZC, I jsut looked at my wife and said What have I done I should never have sold the ZC this things jsut to steril, to which I got a clip over the ear and got theI told you so talk

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
TZENU
XY Driv3r

You certainly are in the right price range... I can see where you are comming from too. My fiancee and I are currently saving for a deposit and at times have looked the XY and thought to myself, that is my deposit sitting right there in the garage.
I really dont want to sell it, but i have put this on the "Worse Case Scenario" list...

I am, at the moment quite lucky that the fiancee has not mentioned selling the car, YET! So i am not entirely off the gelatine..

And yes it must be very hard to have come to this conclusion... But at the end of the day you cannot live in your car..

Good Luck with the sale though
Old 30-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

You guys are no help. LOL. I know i shouldn't. Maybe i won't? Maybe i should buy a house and see how i go. I know i'l never find one like it again without spending a load of cash. Its the smart thing to do, sell it that is. Maybe i'm to dum. LOL. I think i will put it on club rego. 99XR6, would just like to at least get around in something better than the XF everyday. LOL. If i sold the XY would definetly look at finding a 351 4sp XE. I just can't help myself. I'm a freak, a ford freak. If someone gave me 30g i would take it i think. And thats what they seem to be going for. Its a very tempting initiative to help buy a house and start a life.
Old 30-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
You certainly are in the right price range... I can see where you are comming from too. My fiancee and I are currently saving for a deposit and at times have looked the XY and thought to myself, that is my deposit sitting right there in the garage.
I really dont want to sell it, but i have put this on the "Worse Case Scenario" list...

I am, at the moment quite lucky that the fiancee has not mentioned selling the car, YET! So i am not entirely off the gelatine..

And yes it must be very hard to have come to this conclusion... But at the end of the day you cannot live in your car..

Good Luck with the sale though
Looks like we are in the same situation. My missus tells me not to get rid of it. LOL. She knows i love it and doesn't want to give me reason for people to think she made me sell it. She loves it to and knows how hard i worked for it. Its not like i need to sell it. Would just make things easier and simplier in life. At the moment i'm trying to complete a electrical engineering degree, work full time (design draftsperson), plus mark assignments(building systems and services) as my boss is a lecturer and pays me as a marker, and work 10-20hours part time weekends for a transport company servicing trucks. Maybe you'l understand why now. LOL. I'm so sick off working and not being able to afford to live in my own place. RANT OVER. Once i have my degree i'l be right. Maybe i can park the car up till then. WIll sleep on it. Alot of good advice. Will not part unless get a good offer of close to 30g. :-) Mind made up.
Old 30-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #12
99XR6

Don't sell it, you'll regret it.
99XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #13
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU

Dudes (ie both of you), you can live in your car, you can't drive your house. Thing is, houses appreciate in value faster than most cars, but you don't get your money back out until you trade down (very hard to do), so if its tight, don't sell the car, get a cheaper house.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #14
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
Ebay and carsales. I sold a car on both, though carsales was quicker.
I'd also recommend http://www.uniquecarsales.com.au/ for a car like that, although it is a part of CarSales, I'm not sure whether they appear on each others sites and stuff.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #15
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Think you're on the right track, XYGTHO (both with the cars future, and yours!). If it's at all possible to hang onto it, do so.

I could have had my parent's XB GT sedan (our family car in the seventies) but simply didn't have a place to store it, it was sold a few months ago and I'm really starting to regret having let it go.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #16
cool65
carefactor zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYGTHO
So also i will have no money to upkeep or drive my pride and joy.
I was here 15 years ago. I had a sweet 302 windsor powered XE and sold it to have a double garage on our new house. I also had a project of an xp convertible. Now 15 years later - living comfortably, still paying small mortgage, married with a 13yo daughter going to private school and usual bills etc. I have got to stage where I am going to start on convertible again after looking at mods on other fords for so long. I have only given myself a deadline of having it ready for my daughters wedding and then cruising off into the sunset.
Maybe sell your car to make life easier now, but put 5k to side and find a mint shell to store and over the next say 5 - 10 years collect parts as funds are available to make a dream machine (maybe build it with your kids).
15 years from now you might be dropping in a nitrogen powered engine that makes 600 horses from a litre of water. lol
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #17
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

If you love the car enough the thought of selling it shouldn't even be there
who cares about the appreciation thing anyway? other than investors?
if it's only saving $20 a week if you sell it (yes I know it adds up over 25yrs lol..) you should hang on to it. I mean, thats only 1- 1.5hrs work? well worth it IMO.
I was renting when i bought my second (current) coupe, and I made it clear to my wife (GF at the time) that I wouldn't sell it to pay for a wedding/house deposit/kids etc.. even if we were stone broke, its not costing anything just sitting in the shed, waiting for a time when theres spare cash.

sooo... +1 for keep it ;)
Old 30-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #18
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99XR6
Don't sell it, you'll regret it.
I second the notion!
Thats a tough decision to make mate...best of luck with it
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #19
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Don't sell it, after all the hard work you have put into it you should keep it and get to enjoy it some more. Go for a nice long drive in her and you will completely forget about wanting to sell it.

All the best which ever way you go.
Old 30-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #20
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Sheesh I went through that when I moved here... Bad time in my life "at the time"...
O/k I'm doing well now, but I went through hell going out and watching cars at race tracks etc ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 01:01 AM   #21
EXECJIM

Smile

Just sell the motor and gear box only if you can get good dollars?

You can always throw an old clevo and C4 to keep it going.

You will have trouble finding a car that old with a good body down the track.

I have found that the body work is the hardest and dearest part if you want a good job, and thats what turns heads while cruising too :

Just a thought

Jim
Old 31-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #22
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickxb
have a look on http://www.fordmusclecars.com.au this may give you and idea for a price to list it.....
You bet me to it, the other is http://australianmusclecarsales.com.au/

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 09:32 PM   #23
old_mate
Smash the Boost

same boat

i just borrowed 310-320k for a place and my XY sits in the shed, rust free but screaming for some cash. I still owe 7k to the bank for a old personal loan too.

Got me stuffed when i'll ever get the cash to touch it

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 08:12 AM   #24
xbcool
dazed&confused

dont sell it mate ,in a couple of years you,ll wish you had,nt

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #25
XBGTrob
Starter Motor

I'd have to say keep it as well. I've done the same thing. I sold a factory black VG pacer and a one off R/T charger when I bought the house I am living in now. I still regret selling the pacer and I doubt I could ever buy another one. Remember, once you buy a house, $30k+ to buy another car is not easy to find. Keeping the car is not a big issue if it is only going to save you $20 a week, thats a packet of cigarettes each week. Do you smoke ??? Give it up instead. :
XBGTrob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #26
jcxr
Tribal Elder

TZENU, i bet you werent thinking of houses and shite when you were in the staging lanes at the AFF drag meet. Some say you cant live in a car, but try doing a burnout in a house.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #27
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
TZENU, i bet you werent thinking of houses and shite when you were in the staging lanes at the AFF drag meet. Some say you cant live in a car, but try doing a burnout in a house.
hahahahaha bloody well put!

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #28
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grum
hahahahaha bloody well put!
LOL. Some very good points. The car has gone onto club rego. And will most likely keep sitting quite a bit. Will get a house and see how i go.
Na don't smoke. I save every extra penny and the ones not saved are spent on my gf or the car. My two loves. LOL
Old 01-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYGTHO
LOL. Some very good points. The car has gone onto club rego. And will most likely keep sitting quite a bit. Will get a house and see how i go.
Na don't smoke. I save every extra penny and the ones not saved are spent on my gf or the car. My two loves. LOL
I garantee you as time goes on the GF will be more expensive to run than the car.......!

Old 01-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #30
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr

Thanks for reminding me John...